Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

parked bike, poor concrete = sink into ground!

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by damien613, Aug 30, 2010.

1. just need to vent as I'm currently IRATE of finding my bike on it's side out the front of my work!!

apparently "it just fell" as the kickstand sunk into the ground and my bike fell on it's side... I picked up the gsxr 750 just over a week ago and already planned to respray it, well now I have to! dented tank and rubbed to bare metal, torn seat (as it fell down and rubbed against a small tree) and some scratches on the levers...

I am fuming right now... no one really to blame which shits me so I have to just suck it up and get to work fixing it!:-({|=
  2. This was on concrete! THAT doesn't sink like bitumen when it's hot etc.
    Are u sure it "just fell over".?

Who told you? They might have been messing around on it?

Scuse my apparent persecution complex
  3. sorry it was more bitumen than actual concrete... however it left a hole in the ground which the kickstand made and a mate who was driving past was lucky to see the action / fall... no one around it at all??

I was siked to find it laying there!
  4. Once again the reason why one should never rely on the side stand and as a minimum carry a crushed soft drink can to put under the stand to increase the footprint so it wont sink in as easily.
  5. Bugger! Ah well. Enraging!, I know-same thing happened to me. Eurgh.

Sorry for you bad luck, mate. :-(
  6. Not very helpful? I mean... When one pulls up in gutter or on the footpath, having done a thousand times, one doesn't expect on the one thousand and oneth time, ya bike is going to sink into the bitumen.

The can flattened is a good idea, if you suspect such an occurrence... But that's just it- you don't expect it.