Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Stormtrooper, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Howdy all,

Just wondering if anyone can share any ideas on how to maintain a 'healthy' level of paranoia - that stage where you know everyone is out to get you, but you can still enjoy yourself...

I spend time on my SV, as well as time on the pushie, and I thought I'd managed to get that balance, but after a few d!ckhead cagers tried to run me over on the pushie, my balance has been lost and i'm worrying about everything.

Now its even extending to me trying to avoid braking heavily in case the front end washes out, not going hard into corners just in case.....

I don't want to go the other way though and be blissfully unaware that the next idiot in a car is very likely to not spot me and pull straight out....

It doesn't help I've only been on the SV for a few weeks so coming to terms with the upgrade too.... the VTR was much more fun to throw around :D

2. Just keep riding and take your time. It'll come back to you. It always takes a while for your confidence to return after a scare.

The more you ride, the more you get used to it. I've dodged more cars, trucks, bikes, and buses headlong half-way into my lane than I can remember that nowadays when it occurs it barely even phases me. It's more a case of "Oh, another idiot in my lane. Let's compensate for their lack of skill. There's a clear way out. Aim for it.", and by the time I've passed them I've forgotten about it.

Didn't get to this point straight away though. Takes a lot of seat time to develop the experience to develop an "almost seen it all" attitude, and once you get there, very little surprises you any more and you learn to deal with it better.

Edit: Oh, and you should never be "blissfully unaware" that someone might pull out on you. You should expect it of them. Always assume that any car, anywhere, at any time, is going to do the wrong thing. If you ride accordingly, which does mean slowing down and covering the brakes at intersections if you can't move to a road position that gives greater reaction time, then you can still hook in quite nicely everywhere else where cars aren't.
  3. ^^^ wot he said.

It's not a case of paranoia, just relaxed awareness. Be alert, think ahead and react accordingly.

Expect the unexpected. People do stupid things in vehicles all the time. Even pedestrians are prone to brain fade.

Try not to let one or two incidents unsettle you to the point your skill and judgement is going out the window. If you allow that you just go into a spiral of decreasing self confidence.
  4. I think you may have "new toy paranoia" more than anything else.
    Just relax. Keeping pace with the traffic helps. Riding in familiar areas will also help.
    Watch out for everyone but know your bike is much more capable than you are so don't be scared to chuck it around if you have to.
  5. do a course. the intermediate one at HART in tullamarine is good. its on a 600, lots of emergency braking and cornering practice. no traffic. (but you'll never approach a traffic cone the same way again)
  6. I've had an intermediate course on the cards for a while now... probably a good time to get into it.

After a bit of a run on the weekend through more familiar surroundings, i'm starting to get it back (and I think 2wheelsagain might be onto something with the new toy paranoia - mind you, the mechanic has already dropped it for me so that should be out the window :p ).

I checked tyre pressure when i filled up and they were down a bit too, which I don't think helped at all.
  7. I used to think that a certain amount of paranoia is a good thing in a motorcyclist.

Then someone on here pointed out on here that you should 'ride like you are invisible', which is probably a more healthy attitude, and people dont look at you funny when you say that.

Bikes are by nature extremely dynamic, they can change speed or positioning very quickly, and wether your headlight is on or not it can make you harder for a car driver to see you.

but having said this the main reason why drivers dont see you is because they dont use the bit that holds their head onto their shoulders, they get lazy and just glance into their mirrors before changeing lane rather than turning their necks and having a good look.

Bike riders dont help matters by riding along in a drivers blind spot. You cant rely on them seeing you.

If someone does come into your lane, rather than tooting, shaking your fist and thinking ' wot a f*ckwit' , treat it as a learning experience. Think to your self 'well how could I have avoided this?' where was I positioned in the road relative to the other car/truck?

Remember, if you cant see his face in his mirrors, he has bugger all chance of seeing you.

8. +1,
    All road users should do headchecks, but there's no need for us to go out of our way to hide as deep as possible in a vehicle's worst blindspot. :?

It's not Hide and Seek.