Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Pants recommendation

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by olympicwiz, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Hey guys,

Anyone can suggest good light summery motorbike pants with enough protection for those unbearable hot summer days?

I found some really cool (no pun intended) jackets by Icon brand and they are great, so trying to find some good pants

Thanks in advance!
  2. I had a pair of Dririder pants that were vented up the inner thigh and the rear of the lower leg. They were pretty good - but Dririder is such a bad/false naming convention! They were the ones with the removable 'waterproof membrane'.

Do you mean jeans are too heavy Al?
  3. Klim vented are the best quality but you'll pay top dollar for them.
  4. Hi, yes, I have Draggin Jeans that are heavy denum, lined with Kevlar and black mesh inside. Nice for winter though. I also have Camo Draggin that are a bit more bearable.
    Was just curious if there are some light pants out there like my Icon jacket (see the video
    ) that is just a pleasure to ride in in this damn heat.
  5. How much are they and who sells them please?
  6. Joe Rocket do a couple of types of vented textile pants.
  7. Thank you, I used to have a Joe Rocket jacket, it was a good product. Will check it out
  8. Dainese New Drake Air Textile Pants

Apparently these are good for warmer weather while offering ok protection (textile is a compromise)
    Dianese make quality stuff. Around $300 at MCAS
  9. My Held Crackerjack jeans are still pretty much like new after 18 mths. These are a single layer denim / kevlar composite fabric.
    See my initial review here Held Crackerjack Jeans
    Nothing is going to be cool in hot weather, especially with engine heat flowing over your legs but the Crackerjacks are much like regular jeans in this regard.
    I haven't crash tested them and I don't intend to.
  10. Says that are made of polyester. I suspect these MX pants are not designed for high abrasion like road gear.
    I commute in a pair of Shift enduro overpants made from high denier cordura which is much stronger than simple nylon or polyester. Not quite in the same league as kevlar but.
    I prefer non-elasticated wide leg but that's because they go over the top. Well ventilated with panels, but they also insulate some the exhaust heat from my bike.
  11. Thanks titustitus for the heads up! I hate polyester anyway so back to the drawing board.
  12. I have often wondered about MX pants, are they not as good for on road as off?
  13. Not necessarily, I'm just saying double check the materials. You may find what you want elsewhere in the range.
    Cordura is just a specific type of nylon.
    Cordura is the brand name for a collection of fabrics used in a wide array of products including luggage, backpacks, trousers, military wear and performance apparel. Cordura fabrics are known for their durability and resistance to abrasions, tears and scuffs.
    ... Cordura fabrics are usually made of nylon, but may be blended with cotton or other natural fibres.

Kelvar is probably strongest of the synthetic fibres, followed by cordura and other aramids such as nomex (same family as kevlar). You may even find something usable amongst military clothing.
  14. Revzilla recommended these to me as the best bang for the buck summer pants a while ago, plan to pick up a pair at some stage.
  15. 300gsm kevlar(used in most jeans) is in my experience almost useless and any heavier is pretty hot. Goodluck finding a compromise.
  16. Yes.

My answer is based solely on the title of this post...
    • Funny Funny x 2
  17. Enough protection against what exactly?
  18. Mostly against abrasions if I happen to come off the bike, as I don't expect the light pants to offer much else.