Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Palease pay attention!!

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by raven, May 22, 2010.

1. I've been scanning alot of threads lately and some of the stupid sh*t that is posted has got me worried about just how little some of you noobs or mildly experienced riders really know about bikes and riding them.

For instance..

Bikes do NOT and cannot out-brake cars...

Unless you make countersteering a conscious and proactive action, you should rush a out and grab ambulance coverage, and the most comprehensive insurance package you can find.
    NOTE: (LOOK OUT for a specific thread on this very subject in the near future from Robsalvv, if you want to live longer)

DO stay wide of the corner until you spot the exit...Yes cars may cut the corner from the opposite direction, creating a head on situation, but all you have to do is turn-in earlier for more clearance and then adjust for the corner accordingly. You are NOT going to get killed in a head-on from riding the outside line through a LH turn, unless you're blind!! And if you can't manage to turn-in for avoidance then you should not be there in the in the first place...your skill levels are inadequate for this type of riding!.
    Here's a perfect case in point for you to watch...

NO!...you do not use your rear brake as your primary brake...for the majority of bikes the FRONT brake provides 80-100% of your braking ability.
    It also just happens to be the easiest to control (heavy boot clad foot compared to tactile hand)
    It is true that for cruisers the rear brale could be, on the whole, more effective, but even then, you at least should be using BOTH!

If you are a complete noob and think you cannot watch your mirrors, then you are WRONG. If you are so overwhelmed that you are afraid to look away from whats ahead to check them , then get more experience riding around back streets before you head out into heavy traffic if that is the case. Being a Noob does'nt exclude you from knowing what's going on behind you. No excuses.

If you make the smart choices, you will wear the proper gear all the time. If you enjoy skin grafts, especially that part where they are picking bits of road out of your raw flesh, then by all means ride around in a t-shirt and regualr jeans. Draggin jeans etc, are a MINIMUM...not a "standard" you should adopt.

So many other misguided or misinformed statements seen around these threads that I could go on for ages, but that'll do for now.
  2. =D>=D>=D>
    well written...
  3. SIMPLIFICATION... A modern bike may well be able to out brake an older car.

Never the less... don't assume you can.

SIMPLIFICATION... Other factors such as surface condition may mean it is actually safer to stay narrow rather than wide but you should look for such factors by scanning ahead of you and adjust entry speed as a result.

EXCEPTION... Linked brakes where the rear brake lever activates 1 or both of the front brakes in combination with the rear, in which case 70%-90% of total braking is achieved by using the rear brake lever only.

Never the less, learn to use both :)
  5. Well done raven and zx, good sound info/reminder..
  6. Haha, Raven, you're gonna blow a foofer valve if you're not careful. :)

And the heat's on for countersteering 101... lol... might go with cornering 102 first though.

Most riders think a bike will outcorner and outbrake a car because of what they see in practice, but that's because the average car and driver is worse than the average biker. But what Raven says is right about cars outbraking a bike...

It sounds like the inexperienced are spouting off again... which highlights a very very good point... when you're listening to someone giving riding advice, ask yourself, are they giving a tip, are they telling you something they think they know, or are they actually sharing real technology?
  7. true indeed.

i think though most bikes come with standard mirrors that are pretty much useless... so maybe noob buys first bike and assumes that's normal...
    no, get your mirrors sorted so you can use them...get aftermarket extenders or larger mirrors to suit.. it needs to be done and it's easy fixed, just make sure you get the threads that fit.

will that make my bike wider?.. nah, my mirrors are no wider than my bars and they work great
  8. Great post mate.
    For the noobs who haven't been on here long, Ravens posts are extremely good. The advice in them is solid and he doesn't just say sh!t to get a post count up.
    I have learned a lot from him and if you read and take in what he has said then you can too. He is not the only contributor with great advice, but IMO he is probably one of the best.
  9. Not always, the VFR800 has linked brakes, but activating the rear will only activate a single piston (out of six) in the front.
  10. Yes mate...sorry about that but it's good for learners to know there is info coming down the tube - I look forward to cornering 102 first then. :)
    Make sure you sticky it, Rob.
    So much important stuff has already been said about cornering, countersteering and all the other important bike handling techniques and skills, but it is spread all over the place...Your idea to put it all into several (or more) concise and to the point stickies is VASTLY worth the effort. (just remember to keep it "noob"). :)

And save me from blowing a head-gasket. LOL

11. +10 to this. I have also learned heaps from Raven's posts and also Robsalv's as well. New riders please listen to these far more experienced riders because you will learn a great deal. So many times when I'm riding I have quotes from these guys going through my head and I'm sure it's a major contributing factor to the fact that in two and a half years and almost 40,000 kms I am (touch wood!) still upright. Listen and learn!!
  12. just a quick one....

newbies should avoid riding with others of the same ability, and ride with more experienced riders moreso! then when you pay attention to what they are doing, coupled with the info/hints/tips you read here, it should start to make sense.

when you continually ride with people of the same, or lesser ability, you will be lulled into a false sense of ability. change it up, ride new roads, ride with better riders... this should give you a reality check (and to be frank, some newbies need this!).

we can all learn something and benefit from asking questions and trying new things.

that's me done, carry on John.
  13. Also be very self aware of your own ability.

I have around 8 years experience on the road and about 200,000km on the bike daily and I am probably as good as most experienced guys commuting in busy traffic in terms of roadcraft (yep..stay out of that left lane wherever possible on the freeways and leave space all around you=D>).

I do not pretend for a second that I am as good as a heap of guys here with the same riding time in the twisties or on the track or even for that matter in absolute bike control and probably never will be.

If I was only able to give one piece of advice to the new riders it would be that your brain in terms of decision making, roadcraft and worst of all to keep tabs on ego and bravado. These will get you into far more trouble, far quicker than underdeveloped riding skills. Train your brain first to stay out of troublesome situations while you develop the skills that help you get out of the rare ones that no one could reasonably forsee.
  14. Thanks for the additional and worthy points fellows.

For you knew riders that are also new to bikes...
    ...to put it bluntly..

You need to stay alive, long enough, to learn how to stay alive