Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

painting

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by timskes, Mar 13, 2011.

1. im going to paint the clutch and alternator covers on my bike,

what would be the best paint to use?

im going to paint them gloss black.

thanks, Tim

2. Gloss black paint would be the best then :p

I would say a high heat paint would do the trick

3. maybe some brake caliper paint?

4. Engine enamel. Degrease thoroughly, scuff with Scotchbrite.

5. If you're able to remove them for a week, powdercoating is more durable than paint.

ian

6. I've been thinking about looking into the options of changing my tank from a matte to a gloss. Is this a whole huge procedure, or can be done DYI with the right tools?

7. Ideally, the right tools would be a compressor, water filter, and hvlp spray gun and suitable paint/solvents.

Alternatively, you could take the tank off, drain it, and take it to a panelbeater/spray painter, and for about $100 they'd shoot a nice urethane clear on it in their booth at the end of another job. No need to cut/polish. Nice glossy gun-finish. Hard as nails when cured. I've done that in the past.

cheers
    ian

8. ok the plan is when the rain finally leaves im going to take them to work and sand blast them and paint them there in the paint booth with a high heat paint.

any good paint brands i should be looking out for?

tim.

9. Thanks buddy!!