Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Painting your bike.

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by aerodynamic, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Ive tried the search and couldnt get anything to come up with what i was after...

Stripping back, and painting over your fairing'd bike.

Does anyone have any stories to tell of, paint to not use, sand paper to not use, any pictures to help?

Going to be buying a faired sports bike (the more common ones) in the next couple of years, and if i can not find one i like that is a straight Matte black then i will be either getting the paint job done professionally, or doing it myself.

So, how hard is it to sand the paint back on a bike, and get a nice cover? I have mates who are car fanatics so they could probably help me do it.

Thanks in advance :D
  2. I'm doing this at the moment. First step is to prep all the fairings by sanding back the original paint. I haven't bothered cutting right back through to the plastic, just enough so there are no rough spots or uneven areas.

I'd suggest you get yourself 180, 400 and 800 grit papers as well as foam sanding block so you can get into corners more easily. All this can be picked up from the local Supercheap auto for around $10, assuming double sheets of each paper. Start with the 180 for a quick removal of rough/chipped/faded bits, then progress to the 400 and finally the 800. I've gone to 1200 on mine but have been told this is overkill, you may want to do some more research on this. I think its fine.

Finally, prep the sanded fairings with undercoat before you apply the topcoat. Follow instructions and ensure you shake the can well if doing it with rattle-cans. Remember, light coats are the key - heavy coats run and look crappy. They'll also take forver to dry and may crack. Use several light coats for the topcoat, allowing preliminary drying time between them.

Hope all goes well, cheers! - boingk
  3. Boingk is spot on!

The key is to take your time and don't rush. As a professional Crash Repairer once told me - "90% of a good paint job is reliant upon meticulous preparation."

"I live my life a corner at a time.... Knee down!"
  4. one told me, when you think your done sanding, your getting started.
    Oh, wear eye/breathing protection wontcha? Paint particles aint the best for you.
  5. How to paint your motorbike DIY

wrote this a while ago,
    should sort you out.

Yeah on a side note i use 1200 for removing imperfection after i have painted so yeah, For a great DIY the key part after a good prep, is polishing out all the F*** ups after you have finshed which u can only do with several pads and a polishing machine air/electric.