Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

painting rail crossings in vic

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by twistngo, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Apparently rail crossings are to be painted yellow

AN INCREASE in "near-miss incidents" at train level crossings in Melbourne has prompted the Brumby Government to fund new large yellow markings at more than 50 intersections around the city.
    In response, the Government has given a $700,000 grant to VicRoads for cross-hatched yellow markings at 53 level crossings in Melbourne to indicate cars must not stop there.

It seems we will have more paint on the road! What joy in the wet.

2. If it's the same brew they've used in the bus lanes then no probs. that stuff is gggrrrrippy :grin:
    A little harder to apply but it's the ducks guts. I wonder how it will hold up to wear and tear, and how well it will be maintained.
  3. Anyone stupid enough to stop on a railway line deserves to be taken out of the gene pool.
    That money would be better spent armor-plating trains to protect the train drivers.
  4. Agreed!
  5. harsh but fair. same should apply to the tards that block regular intersections, they should be dragged to a railway crossing and then taken out of the gene pool.
  6. maybe they need to use this paint on the arrows they paint on the road on roundabouts...
  7. + onehundredbillion. and ped crossings too, particularly those stupid raised brick ones.

Be a good question for the MRA(vic) to chase up.
  8. Also, how the hell does it take $13,200 per intersection to put down some friggin' paint?
  9. Expensive materials, traffic control, labour intensive, design procedures/cost thereof.....I can do an official count for you if you like.
    The running costs of the crew alone is $2.5k/h, and that's without putting anything on the ground. If only all these works could be done by magic roadworking fairies, eh?

Everything you never wanted to know about pavement marking
  10. ha ha yeah, that's a cool idea! Some of those big helicopters, a big magnet on the end of a sturdy chain and they can swoop in, remove car and plonk it somewhere else (train crossing).
  11. I'm waiting on a response from VicRoads re the paint.

However when they put the rumble strips in to warn of level crossings, they did actually test them for motorcycle safety.
  12. Tony can you find out off the frog and toads department if they plan on using the same paint in the bus lanes in other applications for us please?
    As a road marking solution its the best one i've ever seen.