Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Paint help please! Matt black scratching!

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by Recon, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Hey all

OK so i decided to paint my front forks on my Honda cruiser. I opted for Matt black hi-temp engine enamel. I used etch primer, followed by a coat of enamel primer, then 4 or 5 coats of Matt black.

After 24 hours they are looking great. However, I went to dust them off with a rag, and it left scratches on one of the forks! Its a soft rag and I didnt brush too hard, how am i getting scratches/scuff marks???

Should I use a clear coat layer on top? Doesnt this defeat the purpose of using matt black? ie wont the clear coat give a gloss effect?

CHeers all!

PS I'm using: 3M 300 degree Engine Enamel Matt Black
  2. use a silicon based cleaner like mr sheen, and let it dry/soak in. this will form a protectant layer. and when cleaning clean all of it, not just patches or you get shiny spots.
    also use a circular motion

but most cleaners will damage the finish as they are meant to smooth the paint..... the opposite of matt
  3. There are several issues with the process and products you have used.

The engine enamel you have used is just that, it's designed for engine components which will get hot enough to cure the finish. This heat will also add adhesion.
    If you read the directions, it should state that engine enamel is to be used on bare metal as it's self etching. So in other words no primer should be used.

The problem with matte black paint finishes, is they will in fact show marks quite easily. You would have been better of using K&H/3M bumper and trim paint, but even this will get peppered with stone chips. The biggest issue you have now, is you have to start from scratch. Your best bet would be to wash it all off with thinners/

And please don't go anywhere near any surface you plan to paint with any silicone product...you'll be in tears if you do.
  4. Hey guys, thanks for the advice.

Cazzo, good call re the curing, that makes sense (wish it had occured to me beforehand!)... I guess the helpful sales guy was basically full of sh*t [-(

Oh well we live and learn! :) ](*,)

So as far as recovery options go, I'd rather not go down the thinner route as I was pretty happy with the primer layers - could I sand back the black paint, back to the primer, then reapply a coat of primer, before applying the appropriate enamel?

I'm not after a showroom finish, the bike is meant to look a little rough and ready - hence the matt black colour scheme..

What do you think? Will sanding it back do the job?
  5. Recon, I sprayed my race bike in matte black. Finish was great but as you have found they scratch easily. I ended up putting a few layers of clear. I was told there is a clear coat which is like matte...however only 50% so will still have a bit of gloss to it, just not as much.

Would painting it with a few coats of clear and then sanding it back say with 400 or 600 grit wet and dry give you a matte effect?
  6. The issue is, you have used enamel. Enamel is a pain in the arse to sand, even worse when it's not cured and then next to nothing like acrylic (which is what you want) will go over the top withoout reacting.
    Honestly, thinners is the fastest, easiest but messy fix for the problem.
  7. Thanks Cazzo, yeah I think pait remover might be the way to go..

As an alternative though, a mate has offered a heat gun to use to cure the engine paint I have already used.... What do you think, would this work?
  8. Is there much detail on your forks?
    Was thinking of a Matt wrap instead of painting. It will still pit and scratch. Probably more so than a Matt finish. But it's an easier and neater job with just a damp rag and heat gun.
  9. Hey there lads

Figured I'd update the thread. I ended up going to town with sandpaper and paint stripper used together. Made a bit of a mess but nothing too major. Had to make sure I sanded off all the paint stripper though!

Got em back to the base layer of primer, then re-primed em, and painted them with the correct paint, (a satin this time). They came up looking good, but not perfect as there are a couple of patches where in the light you can see the primer is different thickness. You cant tell from more than a meter away though, so I'll live with em till the fork seals need changing, then I'll strip em off and powdercoat them i think.

Here's how they turned out:

Thanks for all the help!