Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Paid inspection? to do or not?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Pets, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Hi,

Is it worth paying someone to do an inspection for that first bike? Or is it good enough to find someone experienced to test it for you??

The post on what to look for when purchasing a bike is a great tool to use, but I hate to say it... I just won't know what it is I am looking for. Now I will put that down to lack of experience and not due to the fact Im a girl :LOL:

So that might bring me to my second question, do us women have a hard time out there looking for a bike???

THANKS!! Pets

2. Yes, get it professionally checked if you're buying privately. If you're buying from a dealership than you can probably get away with just someone experienced with bikes.

As to the second.. no idea..

3. first time is always hard

4. If you don't have someone who knows the mechanics of a bike then yes, I would get an inspection. I was lucky enough to have a brother-in-law who has been riding a while (well, he has his licence but he's bikeless atm), he came with me and checked out my last machine.

Knowing what you're looking for is important. I narrowed it down by listing off the bikes I fancied, pros and cons of those bikes (gpx - tidy standard bike vs. zzr, prettier (IMHO :p ) but more expensive), rough insurance prices of those bikes and how much damage I was willing to put up with (fairings, scratches, etc). Then I worked out my budget, upper limit I could afford - insurance - $300 incidentals = highest price I could pay for a bike. I bought all my gear before my bike and I didn't even work out my budget for my bike until I'd bought all my gear either. Once you've found a specific bike you fancy and want to ring the person, jump on an online forum for that specific make of bike and do a search for that model. In the top 30ish results of that should be a good indication of the most likely things to go wrong with the bike and hence more questions you can ask.

You wouldn't know it to look at me but I like being organised. Last time I went somewhere for the weekend, I had 4 lists. List of things to pack, list of things I can't do without (wallet, phone, etc), list of contact numbers I'd need, list of other activities to do if the weather turned foul and we couldn't do our primary activity. My friends were laughing at me because it was only really an overnight stay but once it was all out on paper, I stopped feeling worried and had a really great time. I find the key to organisation is flexibility and the key to flexibility is organisation. The same applied to bikes for me. Once I listed what I wanted, prices, pros and cons.. then the stress of it all just lifted off me. I could look at any bike that took my eye and know that I have X amount to spend and that it would cost me roughly X to insure, etc.

Being a girl gives you an advantage, I think. You can tell almost instantly what kind of a person/salesperson the guy is by the way he speaks to you. I went to the wreckers once as they had some bikes on commission. I went with a guy friend. The wreckers 'salesperson' (using the term extremely loosely) started talking to my friend. I let him BS my friend for about five minutes before I dropped some technical stuff and then basically told him we weren't really interested based on his flustered and vague answers. Rule No.1 for salespeople - talk to the person with the money, or the influence. My friend had neither.

Ask questions you know the answer to. If they answer incorrectly, it could be a genuine mistake, in which case be wary, or they could be trying to BS you, in which case be VERY wary. Have a list of questions you want to ask before you go anywhere. I had 5 questions I asked when ringing up about bikes. 1. Why are you selling it? 2. Is there any damage? 3. What would you do if you kept it? 4. What's the condition of the tyres? 5. Does it come with any extras?

They're not comprehensive questions but the list helped me to not get flustered and forget things. Obviously, the answers to those questions lead into more questions. "How MUCH damage? Are there dangley bits? Yes? Ok, no thanks, I'm not interested."

I stole most of my attitude and material about buying a bike from the Used Bike Evaluation article on here.

Don't think because you're a girl you have to prove yourself or that you have to know lots of technical stuff. My profession is very male oriented and a lot of women in my profession feel they have to fight for roles and recognition. I've never found that. If I believe it affects my work then sexism is pounced on straight away, politely but firmly. Otherwise, I am a girl.. it makes me different. I am no less capable because of it, just different.

Hope this helps,
    Cariad

5. Thanks Cariad,

This has helped greatly, I have printed the Used Bike Evaluation article and have "studied" it somewhat. I feel more at ease now.

Im heading out tonight for a quick look localy to get a feel for some of the bikes. I would love a bit of a sporty bike so will start focusing on specifics.
    I do like to be informed! Like yourself I am organised when it comes to those things, so i have my budget all worked out already, including what else I have to purchase once I have the bike. And I have all my gear already so just need a good bike!!!

This website has helped me greatly.
    Thanks heaps for taking the time to write.

Pets

6. Good to hear! Butt tests are important. (I forgot to mention them) Me and the ZZR just clicked.

Let us know how you go. :)

C.