Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

P Plater Test Rides?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Freeform, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Hey Guys,

Just curious what companies like Honda are like with test rides?
    I really want to take my future bike (cb1100) for a spin before I buy it (get off restrictions in a few months), What are the legalities/policies behind this?

Say my restrictions end and I am on my unrestricted green P's, (so I can legally ride it). Would they let me test ride it? Would I have to slap a green P on the back before I leave the dealership for the test ride?

Could I get away with a test ride before that on my red P's?

Those who actually know and don't just have an opinion, let me know :)

2. It's really up to the individual dealer.

I know when my wife worked for a bike shop if you didn't have a licence to ride a particular bike, you wearn't riding it.

Other dealers I know never have any demos so wouldn't let ANYONE test ride a bike.

Other shops don't seem to care, and have the attitude that if you get caught then it's your problem, not theirs.

3. Interesting, this could get complicated. I have my heart set on this bike but I would really appreciate a test ride just in case.

On a similar note, does anyone know of a good trustworthy Honda dealer (that would stock the CB1100) in Melbourne that ISN'T Peter Stevens in the CBD?
    I can't seem to find many or any?

I really want this bike to be looked after, its going to be my baby, so I refuse to get screwed around by shady dealers.

4. HART Somerton are having a public ride day as well as a demo ride day for the new cbr250r on 2/4. It's for free. With any luck they may have the new cb1100 they may let you try out on the range.
    New Honda CBR250R Test rides up for grabs