Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

P Plate display for 30+ Gold Drivers License Holders ?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Felix, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Hi,

APPARENTLY, NSW Drivers over 30 years of age with a good Drivers License record DO NOT have to display their motorcycle P Plates.

I have been able to find no written record of this on the RTA website or Riders Handbook. So many people have mentioned this to me now that it seems like common knowledge to everyone but me. Unfortunately, until I can find this written officially anywhere, I will have to keep displaying the P Plates.

What are your thoughts on this and does anyone know where I can verify this "common knowledge" officially ?

2. With a new State Government as at this morning gunning for the RTA, it might be a good time to be asking this question. There USED to be all sorts of concessions for people over 30 with different licences, but I don't know how many of them still exist.

Riders over age 25
    Riders over the age of 25 that meet RTA requirements may receive an exemption from the P2 phase. To be eligible for an exemption from the P2 phase, riders must:

Be 25 years of age or older when they apply for the unrestricted licence.
    Hold a current Australian unrestricted driver licence.
    Have completed a minimum of 12 months on a P1 licence.
    Meet all other licensing requirements.

This from the RTA site
  3. Thanks Hornet,

Yes I'm glad I only on my P's for 1 year but have you or anyone heard about not having to display the actual plates ?
  4. Hey Felix!

Prior to the 1st July 09, if you were over 30 on a gold license you were able to skip the P's entirely (with a few clauses e.g. no pillions and 0 blood alcohol). They changed it to the rule we now know being 25 and 1 year on P's. You must be hearing that from people who heard it from people who got their license before they changed it.
  5. Oh and congratulations on the P's!!!
  6. I don't know about NSW but for Victoria if you are over 25 and currently hold a full drivers license you don't have to display your P's. What's better is that you are only on them for 1 year. This is documented quite clearly on the VicRoads website as well as in the motorcycle Learners/Probationary hand book.

I'd imagine something similar could exist in NSW (and possibly other states) but of course, I can't be 100% sure.
  7. I'm 26 and have just got my red P's. If this law is changed I will not be happy at all!
  8. I'm almost certain, it's not going to change anytime soon. lol
  9. Stokepaz, the age was changed from 30 to 25 years of age in June '09.
  10. ring the RTA 132213
  11. I'm sure they didn't have to display a P plate cos they weren't provisional!

With 30+ & Gold license you pass MOST and you were handed a full license.

That went when the graduated licensing scheme came in though.