Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

N/A | National [Oz] Motorcycles to get "driver aids".

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by robsalvv, Feb 14, 2011.

1. http://www.bikesales.com.au/news/2011/bikes-to-get-cartype-safety-technology-23567

Bikes to get car-type safety technology?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Bikes to get car-type safety technology?
    words - Steve Kealy

A British automotive safety organisation is seriously looking at adapting safety features from cars to bikes

The British Motor Industry Research Association (MIRA) is investigating how safety features commonly found on modern cars can be adapted for use on tomorrow’s motorcycles.

The intention is to establish how best to alert riders to dangers on the road.

Proof-of-concept tests on what is being called the Saferider systems have been carried out in simulators and on road bikes. The systems tested include warnings about speed limits, the tightness of road bends and information about other vehicles to aid lane changing.

Statistics suggest that in Britain, about 22 percent of all road fatalities involve bike riders and motorcycling is the only mode of transport which is seeing a rise in the number of deaths.

Mira engineers fitted a Yamaha Tenere and a Triumph Sprint with the safety systems so they could be tried out on Mira’s test track.

According to Jonathan Moore, an advanced engineering consultant with the project, making car-style safety systems work on motorcycles was "challenging" because of all the distractions which riders face.

"One of the most difficult things is getting the rider's attention," he said. "There's a high level of ambient noise and vibration to deal with."

Mira has been investigating various feedback systems to get the attention of riders and warn them about other vehicles, prepare them for the road ahead or give help at junctions, but without disrupting concentration.

Components used in the tests include laser scanners, haptic handlebar grips and gloves, a vibrating seat, lights, smart helmet cameras and radar as well as a pannier full of the electronics to analyse the data gathered by the sensors and provide warnings.

One of the systems tries to determine if riders are travelling too fast for bends ahead.

GPS software that acts as a "co-pilot" and tries to determine what speed the rider should be travelling at to make it round curves or corners ahead.

Another system uses radar to constantly monitor blind spots around and behind riders to create a safety "bubble" around a bike. Vehicles behind or to one side of a bike can be hard to spot because the helmet restricts visibility and riders must remember to move their head regularly to check.

"We put a small motor with an eccentric flywheel in the cheek pad of the helmet so if you don’t notice the object it vibrates and gives a tactile warning that there's something to the right or left," said Moore.

Motorcycle collision detection systems warn riders about an imminent impact and lets them take action by slowing sharply or, in the case of a vehicle travelling in the same direction as the bike, following it while slowing.

Mira claims the prototypes suggest it is feasible to fit some car-like safety systems to motorcycles. Researchers speculate that manufacturers could start to put them on bikes within the next 18 months to two years.

In terms of post-crash rider protection, Honda already has an air-bag available on its luxury tourer, the Gold Wing, and reusable airbag jackets are readily available. The safety systems under review would seek to avoid the crash occurring in the first place.

Saferider is a collaborative R&D effort that is part of the European Commission's Seventh Framework Programme. Participants include Mira, Yamaha, Porsche Engineering and Fema, among others.

= = = = = = = = = = = = =

Frankly, this disturbs me. This is going to dumb motorcyclists down just as it's done to a lot of drivers.

2. Not really sure how to take this perhaps a little disturbing but would like to see it in the flesh so to speak before making a final judgement.

I would welcome a warning of vehicles following closely behind - its all very well to say you should always be aware and keep an eye on your mirrors but it only takes a second for a tool to be nudging your rear wheel especially in traffic.

Some of the other warning though such as the co pilot that determines what speed you should take a corner seems a little frightening and needs to balance the skill of the rider and what about road surface or even if the bend is on an incline or decline. Seems to raise more concerns about safety than it answers. Still I'm sure greater minds than mine have considered the above and again will hold off making a final decision, but at least it seems well intentioned.

3. So the rider has to spend valuable attention monitoring the information that is fed to you, and also trust that it is accurate and is not supposed to mislead the rider.

Motorcyclists using 100% of their attention to make 1st person judgements on road conditions is still the better option.

Im willing to bet $10 greater minds were summarily ignored in most facets of road vehicle safety.

4. I like how they say motorcyclists have a lot more distractions that car drivers :shock: Who would be believe we might be distracted by what is going on around us???? ...and that they want to take our attention away from things that are going on around us to concentrate on a bit of theoretical electrical information instead of real life information.

This is SERIOUSLY concerning. I recently tried a reversing camera in a loan car and, while I know I only used it a few times, I completely buggered up reversing up and down our steep and narrow driveway I know like the back of my hand because of what I was being shown. Now that we have a toddler I can see the benefit of being able to see what's behind the car before moving, but I actually prefer to know he is safely locked up inside before I drive in the backyard.

I can see I'm going to do a lot of walking/PTing in the future as no road user is going to actually know how to drive...it will be all about using your driving aids!!

5.  Top
  6. I suspect that phrasing is a cockup on the journalist's part. Not so much 'distraction' as 'the rider's senses are preoccupied with a lot of noise'.

The quote that fleshes things out makes more sense; "One of the most difficult things is getting the rider's attention," he said. "There's a high level of ambient noise and vibration to deal with."

I.e.: the engineers can't just use a pleasant little chime/buzzer or little blinking LED on the dash, or a vibrating steering wheel, as they would in the relatively serene and quiet cabin of a car. The engineers have to fight through engine noise, wind noise, wind buffetting, significant vibration through the entire frame of the bike, and a rider whose eyes are generally looking anywhere but at the instrument panel mounted down and outside their peripheral vision.

7. While this might be useful on a road you don't know, I have some serious concerns about what would happen if you came off. Would an insurance company refuse to pay out, would you be charged with careless driving etc. ANd it won't warn you about the road surface, leaf mould, oil and all the other things that mean corners require concentration.

And why is this only being touted for motorcycles, I can think of a lot of cage drivers who frequently run wide who would benefit a lot more.

8. Wow this says much more about the people involved than the technology.

9. Secretly I have to admit that I do use my GPS's maps as a 'guide' on unfamiliar roads so I have some general forewarning about what the road is doing in the next kilometre or so - more squiggly? less squiggly? long straight with a switchback right after a crest?

... though that's entertaining in Tasmania where the cartographers have drawn in corners that don't exist, or better yet have drawn in a straight road where in reality there's 3 sharp turns in rapid succession. ;)

Edit: ... which is the problem with that GPS-speed-warning system, really. The maps would have to be spot-on accurate, and it's been my anecdotal experience that cartography on mountain roads is often sub-par.

10. A very very rough guide mind you.

Going on mountain roads and looking at your gps is hilarious. Count how many times your gps says youve fallen off a cliff.

11. Without a doubt! Definitely not worth taking as gospel, and therein lies my qualm with a lot of GPS speed limiter, GPS tracking and in this case GPS speed advisory technology. Hell, Garmin's newest maps say sections of the Hume Freeway near Melbourne are 80kph speed limit (where it's been 110 for years).

12. What happens when your hooking through a mountain twistie road and the GPS runs out of road, Its just not listed,
    I dont look at instruments when I am hooking through twisties any where,
    I am too busy watching the road and looking at the views,
    I can hear or feel any thing that goes wrong in the motor, Drive train or suspension,
    As for air bags, not many people actually go straight over the handle bars, Unless you hit a car up the rear,

13. "Components used in the tests include laser scanners, haptic handlebar grips and gloves, a vibrating seat, lights, smart helmet cameras and radar as well as a pannier full of the electronics to analyse the data gathered by the sensors and provide warnings."

On a less serious note, they say there are too many distractions as a rider, so they are going to add another one? Although..... :grin:

14. how about instead use
    eyes, eyes, brain and

darwin

15. this is a big concern i wonder have these people ever ridden a motorcycle?
    and once again we r not a car,think outside the square people!

16. Wtf how would they show you what's coming up? I'm too busy looking at the ROAD AHEAD and the surface conditions to be busy looking at a ****ing GPS, isn't this what they've been wanting for years with mobiles/gps/radios being a distraction?

17. yep, they ain't motorcycle riders.

i can't wait to see the shit they come up with for people who ride horses.
    probably make it mandatory to stuff a reversing camera into the horses rear.

18. these days when you upgrade theres allready enough shit you have to rip of and throw over the fence. giant plastic fenders and all the eba pollution crap.
    next time i upgrade i'm going to need a trailer to take all this stuff to the tip.

19. Sounds like you will need a big trailer too

20. I like that one,Hahahahahaha