Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Oxford Sports Deluxe Tailpack Review

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by robbied, Oct 27, 2007.

1. http://www.oxprod.com/index.php?pg=3&action=dept&id=47&pid=7&p=

I was thinking about getting a tankbag or tailbag for my bike for quite a while. A backpack is handy but packing too much or too heavy in it can become uncomfortable on your back after a while. I thought about getting a Ventura system but at the time it was too expensive for me and I didn't want to have a rack on my bike all the time.

After reading some reviews from the UK and seeing the bags on offer at various shops I could tell the Oxford brand was a notch above the rest. You can tell a lot of thought has gone into their products and they look and feel high quality. I realised I didn't want a tankbag yet, a tailbag would be enough for the time being.

So I ended up buying the Oxford Deluxe Tailpack unsure of how it would stay on my bike without falling off. The bag comes with 4 inbuilt bungee straps which connect to anywhere solid on your bike. It also has a thick velcro strap which goes through your seat and locks into place when you lock your seat down. 4 more bungee straps (included) are used to secure the top of the bag when fully loaded. After testing the bag (wheelies and heavy lean into corners) I can say that with proper 'installation' it will not fall off or even budge.

The bag has a neat feature where it expands upwards to give you 42L of storage space, enough for a full face helmet and a few bits and pieces. Realistically for me I can pack a pair of shoes, jeans, jumper, t-shirt, spare visor and a few more bits in the front and side pockets (which are about the size of a two fists each). In a small rear pocket is the waterproof cover storage and the straps to convert the tailpack into a backpack. The waterproof cover works well (as tested in the rainy conditions on the way to the GP). I tested the backpack straps while walking all the way around the Phillip Island circuit and they were very handy.

All in all, I am very happy with the bag. It does everything it claims to and I was impressed with how well designed and thought out it is.
    For $160 you can't go wrong.