Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Oxford Heated Hand Grips draining Battery?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by donski1, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Has anyone else with heated hand grips found this? Am I destined to live a life of cold, winter motor-biking hands?

I've been having electrical issues with the Trumpy. The mechanic has checked it all, ruled out the obvious causes and has come to the conclusion that it's the hand grips draining the battery. It sounds logical because I had exactly the same problem with my previous bike (and same brand hand grips).

Has anyone else found this? Any solutions? I LOVE my hand grips. Is it possible to have both a bike that goes and warm hands?

2. No problem here .. had em on 2 bikes.
    Q: Are they wired directly to battery power?
    If so, consider wiring a relay in between them, which isolates them from the battery when ignition is turned off.
  3. exactly whats the problem?

Are the Grips still drawing current when switched off? If so, install a basic switch you can disconnect it from electrical supply.

Are they drawing too much current, that the alternator cannot supply enough to charge the battery, and run the grips? You could try installing a timer switch or increasing the alt. Failing that you could maybe find room for a dual battery.
  4. No issue here but then my oxfords are attached to a ready made fused socket that BMW kindly supply for hand grips.
  5. I am no electical guro but to check whats happening get a Muiltimeter and disconect the Black wire,earth from your battery and use the Muiltimeter between the disconected earth wire and the Battery earth with the ignision off,that should test you if the green smoke is escaping from the system,with the ignision off nothing should register.At the same time start jiggling the hot grips wiring and watch the muilt for a reaction.My Oxfords turn of automaticaly when the voltage gets below I think 11 yolts,I didnt trust them so wired in a seperate switch.
  6. Got Oxfords on my ZZR. I wired my heated grips off the horn fuse, so if the heated grips go bat shit, it doesn't take the entire bike out, just the horn. Also, the heated grips would also turn off with the ignition.

The horn fuse was 5A.

32Watt heated grips
    12 Volt Bike

32 / 12 = 2.7A
    2.7A < 5A = All good for fuse.

When I first got my bike the battery was pretty shot. Even then it wouldn't completely kill it, however I never tried to start the bike with the grips on.

Now, I have a new healthy battery that can crank the bike for ages. Some dick on the street managed to f^&* about with my temp control knob and break it. Now the grips are permanently on about 3/4 power and permanently on. When I turn the ignition on I try to start the bike straight away before draining the battery.

So to answer your question Donna, not, my grips aren't killing my battery.

To check if its your grips, get an Ammeter on the 12V supply to the grips and see how much current they are drawing. It may be that when they are failing and they are drawing a shit load of current. A quick test would be at night, go to a dark area, and when you turn your heated grips on does your headlight dip a lot or just a little??

Or if you need a hand I'll happily have a look at it, which will require me taking it for a test ride, you know, you check the grips... :grin: :grin: :grin:
  7. My new oxford sports draw up to 4 amps when at 100%. The manual suggests using a larger wire such as ignition to stop it overheating.
  8. Envy-t, what is the power rating they were advertised with??
    cheers mate
  9. I've just installed 2 sets (one on each Beemer) and put relays in both so that the grips are completely disconnected until the ignition is on and there is no high current burden on an existing circuit. The K100 will start very easily on a nearly dead battery or push start on a completely buggered one, whereas the R65 is very fussy about battery health and very hard to roll start without a good dry hill.

In order to solve your issues you need to disconnect the grips and see if the problem still exists. If it does not over a period of weeks, it's reasonable to blame the grips. If it does still exist, put it back on Triumph. I don't know what the output is on the charging system on the triples, but the nominal current drain for both grips is supposed to be less than 5.0 amps. Is the mechanic suggesting that they are draining when the bike is not running, or putting too much of a burden on the charging system?

Installing a relay is not difficult, but it is fiddly work to do neatly. Parts would be less than $15, just needs someone handy with a soldering iron, some heatshrink and basic understanding of the wiring. The relay won't cure the problem if it's to do with excessive load, but it will fix it if they drawing current when the bike is parked.
  10. Good advice on whether the headlight dips at night, especially if it does it when running at low rpm. What this indicates is that it really is a burden on the electrical system.

You can check this too with a volt meter. Everything switched off, the battery if very healthy should be somewhere between 12.6 and 12.8 volts. If it's below that, the battery is on the way out or not being charged or both. With the bike idling and the headlights on (and cooling fans running if they often cut in when you ride) the voltage at the battery should be well over 13.0 volts. If you find the voltage drops with the bike running with the headlight, fan AND the grips, then you are getting closer to the issue.

What some people incorrectly assume is that the battery is there to run all the electrics. The battery is there for STARTING only, and the bike should be able to maintain a charge voltage to the battery at all times through it's own means. Occasional loads (fuel injection, headlight, high beam flash, brake lights, indicators and cooling fan all at once) may mean it gets pushed right down at idle, but you should never see the voltage at the battery going below the battery's normal float voltage.
  11. I have oxfords on both the Hornet 9 and my blackbird and both are directly wired to the battery.

I flattened the battery on the bird overnight when I got to Brisbane by forgetting to turn it off, so on both bikes now I just give the starter a little go after I have turned the bike off and the oxfords will turn off.

Still I like the idea of wiring into an ignition activated line, but I am not sure if I could be ar$ed to do it!!!

Absouloutley no issue while riding with deadening battery, so if that is the case, there is another issue.
  12. Donna if you want a hand rewiring your grips and putting a relay in shoot me a pm

13. Thanks Keith, that'd be great. PM sent
  14. Max draw as stated on the box is 28-30 watts. Max of 2 amp each.