Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Owning my lane

Discussion in 'Scooters' at netrider.net.au started by 2troo, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Help me guys.... I have a dangerous and stupid :roll: tendency to shift to the left of my lane, giving those behind the message they can pass.... which gets me in trouble when i want to turn right.... its weird like its inbuilt, i hear something behind and i automatically move left?? imgonnakillmyself.... :roll:

2. You've just gotta make yourself stay in the right hand wheel track. When someone goes to overtake you move over to the left-hand track as they go past to give yourself a bit of buffer, but move back once they're clear. You've just gotta be assertive.

3. at least you know what your doing is stupid :grin: seriously though just drive urself like you would in a car... if you act like you own your lane people will give you space...

the other dodgy thing is shooting up to the front at the lights... for an extra few seconds its not worth it...the amount of people that try to then try to tkae 'their' spot back.. just dangerous...

4. For a whole lot of reasons I move around a fair bit in my lane:

• Makes me more visible
      Makes people aware that I am not predictable and they need to keep clear
      I can move to the correct position for cornering
      I can dodge bad road conditions and gravel
      Noone will feel comfortable moving up next to me in my lane cause they can't predict where I will be
      I can make sure that I am not travelling next to a car - I move back and forwards and across the lane
      It keeps me awake.....

All in all I just can't sit still on the bike :)

5. Not trying to stir shit here, but do you have a motorcycle license? Or are you riding a 50 around on the car license?

I dont mean any offence by that, just pointing out that if you just have the car license then you havent done any bike training. The training you do with a motorcycle instructor really enforces these basic riding techniques.

My girlfriend has fairly recently started putting around on a little 50 on her car license. I forced (yes forced :p ) her to go and have a couple of lessons with a bike instructor just to get her to know some basic "road craft" skills.

Of course, ignore all that if you do have a bike license and training. In that case, just make a point of consciously maintaining your lane position. if you keep forcing yourself to do it, it will come second nature and thats what you want. Its a basic and very important road craft skill.

Huh? Your against splitting? Your suggesting it shouldnt be done because car drivers get jealous? Thats a whole other debate and has been done to death eleventy billion times. In some jurisdictions it is perfectly legal, if its not where you are, then do it at your own peril - your choice. But i will say that splitting has saved many a rider from nasty rear end accidents. Its also of huge benefit in terms of traffic congestion in the city. In virtually every city throughout Europe and Asia splitting is not only a right, its a requirement otherwise the traffic would be even worse! Australia is as usual just a little behind the times.♦

6. No offence taken Duffman :) I have no licence! Ahhhhh!!! i hear you screaming in horror already!! Do let me explain... Have done a four hour intro course on motorcycle.. Have a VS125... i am booked in 4 L's mid october..the wait is killing me... I was so frightened of the bike, a 250, that terror may have stopped some of the instruction going in! I ride around at local tafe and uni.. so i regularly come into contact with 'traffic' which is how i discovered my life long engrained habit of treating myself as if I a lesser that anyone else!! :mad: but i'm gonna beat that habit and riding will go along way towards success :grin: But habits are SO hard to break... idoughwanna die tryin.. your input and all others may just help :) So Thanks to all.

7. Ride with your elbows out :LOL:

Good luck with the L's. You'll get out of the habit once its explained.

8. yeah on a bike it makes sense for sure - but on my 50... well people see ur scooter and think that ur going to hold them up (although 9 times out of 10 you dont unless they fang it) so they tend to try and go around you...

9. I would think it's a matter of time and confidence (and the confidence that actually having a licence will give you!).

You OWN that lane. It's yours, bugger anyone else who tries to steal it. It's about attitude. Cars will sense your confidence, your ownership, at the moment they are smelling fear and taking full advantage. It's like anything in life, confidence will get the job, the girl whatever you want. Until the real confidence kicks in though, fake it til you make it.

10. I would think it's a matter of time and confidence (and the confidence that actually having a licence will give you!).

You OWN that lane. It's yours, bugger anyone else who tries to steal it. It's about attitude. Cars will sense your confidence, your ownership, at the moment they are smelling fear and taking full advantage. It's like anything in life, confidence will get the job, the girl whatever you want. Until the real confidence kicks in though, fake it til you make it.

11. Well after the above post, I'm probably going to qualify for 'sissy of the month'... but whether or not I shift to the left of the lane usually depends on my ability to keep up with the flow of traffic.

If I can keep up, I always ride right smack bang in the middle of the lane, just to remove any chance of ambiguity, and make clear to other cars that I am 'equal' to them, and to be regarded as just another vehicle.

If however, I am riding on say a 90kph road and can't keep up, I always ride just to the right of the edgeline, making it easier for cars to pass me whilst still remaining on a safe part of the road (no big bumps, potholes, debris etc.), just as point of courtesy. In these situations the key to turning right really is PLANNING AHEAD. When the turnoff or intersection is coming up, know where you need to go, and take stock of the situation around you. Then signal right well in advance, and look over your shoulder a couple of times to make your intentions clear to the driver(s) behind you. When you see the them slow down and make a slot for you, move over into the appropriate lane.

The same with splitting: if you can keep up; go for it! Hey that's what a scooter's for....
    But if I can't keep up I usually just slot in behind, so the same cars don't have to pass me all over again and become somewhat disgruntled. No need to cause needless aggravation as far as I'm concerned...

Even though I'm relatively new to the scooter game, it's worked pretty well for me so far. Hope this helps.

12. You are right black666 - there is a sense of intimidation from the big bad cars... what hurts is when its a pimpleheaded p plater casting my scoot aside... :oops:
    Welcome Vrrrooom u maybee a newbee but i am a babee when it comes to owning the road...as donski1 says.. i just gotta fake it (like good old ma always taught me) but getting out there constantly IS the key, went better on the weekend, instead of cowering on the side of the road I boldly indicated and allowed 2 cars to rightly give way to me! - one giant leap for one little white skoodah :grin:

13. Sitting right in the middle of the lane is pretty much the first thing that any motorcycle instructor would teach you NOT to do! That is where all the oil and other crap builds up from cars. If you get in the habit of sitting right in the middle, one day when you have to do an emergency stop, you could very easily skid and fall off.

Roadcraft is an important thing to learn regardless of whether you are on a bike or a 50cc scooter. Its not about the engine size, its about learning where to position yourself to make sure your a visible as possible, and always in the best position to react when needed.

Secondly, if you have a 50cc scoot then you really shouldnt be riding on 90km/hr roads. Your just asking for trouble.

14. Oh mate, your doing your L's! In that case, I think your being just a little bit hard on yourself :grin: You'll get it, but it does take time. Dont stress about it now, wait till you've got the L's and then get out there on the road and you'll get it. Good luck with everything.

15. Ah Duffman I could kiss you!
    It is a fault in my personality I always 4get I have, till some sensible person points it out... I AM 2 hard on myself.. thanks... spent from 3:30am this morning going through my head how to improve on all the skills with ideas on the beginings of countersteering destroying any hope of sleep :roll: your post was spot on.. thanks :)