Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Owner feedback: Thruxton, Scrambler, HD 883, XB9R, F800

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Tex, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Hello everyone,

I am looking for some feedback, impressions etc for the following shortlisted bikes:

Triumph Thruxton
    Triumph Scrambler
    Harley Davidson Sportster 883
    Buell Firebolt XB9R
    BMW F800S

I'm an experienced rider, looking for a bit of a change. Current ride is a slightly modded Suzuki SV650S. It's an excellent bike, but after 5 years I want something different...

The new bike will be used as a daily commuter, plus the occasional Sunday ride, and even more occasionally for touring (hmm maybe I should just keep the SV!).

So, if you own or have owned one of the above, or know a bit about 'em, or can suggest something else then please let me know. I don't want to spend much more that $15k either.

2. I wouldnt go the firebolt for commuting duties, perhaps the Lightning in the Buell range. And skip the 883 Sporty, go 1200.
  3. Triumph Thruxton – lean too far forward and feel a bit out of balance.. nice looking bike

Triumph Scrambler – what a ripper of a bike.. well balanced and fun to ride.. if you are only going to use it for road use then I’d get the Bonneville or the Bonneville T100 – nice equal weight seating position with nice power but not too much..

Harley Davidson Sportster 883 – drive your spine up through your skull on the bigger bumps…
  4. your obviously happy with the sv650s? so why not the sv1000s?

still not exactly sure what you are after in a bike as the list of bikes you have, are like comparing apples to oranges, each have their benifit, but its not fair to compare any of them with each other
  5. A mate has an xb9r. It's not a reliable everyday bike due to a number minor issues. The hardely would probably be the same.

I've also heard some horror stories with regards to 883 resale value.

My mate wishes he had of gotten the 1200.

I have opinions on the others, but they are only based on my thoughts.
  6. Yeah, the shortlist is a bit odd I admit qbnspeedfreak. It's basically a list of bikes that I've thought 'I'd like one of those' and fall into a semi affordable price bracket right now.

Why not another SV? Cos I've had one already and want to try something different. Don't get me wrong - I love SVs.

It's just I'm listening to my heart as well as my head this time!

I'll still need to ride it to work everyday, and I haven't suddenly won Tattslotto, so no Duc 1098 or MV Agusta this time.

The Triumphs are the favourites at the moment, for a variety of reasons (including sentimental).

7. Only one on your list I've ridden was the Buell, which is an amazing handling bike, dispatches with corners like very little else I've ridden.

Sadly it's got an American heart which in the case of the one I rode manifested itself in a gearbox that gave me no feel at all. I understand there's other reliability issues, but the riding experience is pretty awesome and it would commute like a demon.