Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Overtaking on the inside - Near Miss in a group ride

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by chicflutterby, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Just got a quick question. I was on a group ride with a large number of bikes recently. I was in the back middle section of bikes but with nothing too close in front of me. I knew there was a couple of bikes behind me that might want to go a bit faster before we hit the twisties so when a 'slow lane' appeared I put on my indicator to move to the left and let them pass. However as I did this, one of the corner markers was making his way very quickly up the pack and zoomed passed me on the inside, as I was moving over. I checked my mirrors before moving and he was a fair bit behind me and although I knew the corner markers where moving quickly, I did not realise how quickly. We missed each other by about an inch. I am sure we actually brushed jackets.

Was I in the wrong? Should I have just kept my line?

2. No he is in the wrong, and a complete fvckwit for passing on the inside. If it was on any of the groups I ride with he'd be lucky not to get laid out at the next stop.

Thats about rule #1 of riding in a group
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Was he in that lane before you started moving?
  4. sounds like he passed you on the left but was planning to be in a seperate lane???

generally passing on the left is a COMPLETE no no... BUT... if you were in the right hand lane going slowly then it's legal for anyone to pass in the left lane... so it could have easily been a car...

I know that theres a tendency for group rides to all go in one lane but we probably need to put an emphasis on keeping left when we do it cause if everyone sits in the right lane then its inviting incidents like this.

i will point out i got passed on the left on a recent learner ride with only one lane. so we have some members who probably need a reminder on the rules anyway.
  5. If its a single lane then no one should be passing on the inside of the same lane................the onus in group rides should be the guy doing the overtaking to make sure that things is safe before passing anyone.

Having the group split and some getting lost once in a while because of traffic or slower riders is expected...........but everyone should arrive home safe, whether they are in the group or not.

Causing someone to crash or crashing yourself is a HUGE NO NO.
  6. There's your problem.
  7. At the risk of sounding beige, if that happens on a learner ride, report it to the TEC or ride leader at the next stop. Don't wait. It is one of the absolute rules on L rides that NO ONE undertake ANYWHERE. The ride leader spells it out in the pre ride briefing, so no one should be under any misconception about what is permissable and what is not.

If it happens to me, you can be sure that I will be making that person's life a living hell at the next stop. I can't see very well or hear as well on the left side, so I always get startled if/when it happens.

Rides that are not L friendly are, of course, more relaxed re the rules.
  8. Number of bikes and group ride isnt the problem........its the few riders more concerned about taking things to the limit and doing risky moves.

I TEC sometimes and ill boot out anyone whose a danger to the group..........this depends on the group though coz some groups ive TECed is more aware of each other and you do allow them do riskier passing.........but if for example an experienced rider starts to unsettle more inexperienced riders, then the foot goes down.
  9. The lane only just started and I moved into it as it started.
  10. then they're a dumbass.... but you ARE in qld ;-)
  11. You'll find thats undertaking, and im pretty sure its in fact illegal though never policed...
  12. OP, didn't see you mention a head check before you changed lanes, the "I didn't realise he was moving so quickly"quote is a classic cager mistake.
    Put it down to 50/50 at fault, learn from it and move on.
  13. True, however has there was no lane to head check before moving into and as I started to move into the lane (as it was created, because it was a keep left unless overtaking, slow lane, I didn't change lanes I just followed to left line into the new lane) he was well behind me and I had no idea he was going to zoom up the inside of me rather than the up the now clear lane next to me.

But you are right and I will shoulder some blame.

Edited to add: This was also a night ride, and we were going up a hill hence the slow lane. I think its hard to judge the speed of an approching from behind rider in your mirrors.
  14. OP didn't "change lanes", she moved into the left lane as it started, which means the person who undertook her started the manouvre before the lane became available. That's a no no.

However, it's still good advice to do a head check. I do a quick one when I'm changing position, even in the same lane b/c you never know what d*ckhead might be doing something stupid beside you.

ETA: *Snap* OP beat me to it.
  15. At least in WA and Vic, it's legal. On a multi-lane road with speed limit above (?) 90 km/h, the right lane is only to be used for overtaking and turning right, so it's actually the person going slowly in the right hand lane who's breaking the law. Not that any of this is ever enforced.
  16. I always head check, even when following the left lane into a new lane to avoid the exact situation you encountered. Back in my early riding days (early 1980's) I had much faster bikes come out of "nowhere" even though I had checked my mirrors.
    Don't want to labour the point - just wanted to explain my reasoning.
    Still sounds like you've got the right attitude though.
  17. It would be interesting to hear the other persons side of what happened
  18. Actually the other rider agreed that he had overtaken on the inside but said I should have kept my line and stayed where I was.
  19. I'd hope it would start with an apology, screaming up the inside at night on a group ride is just plain dumb at best and fatal at worst.
  20. We were lucky and it was a near miss, no he wouldn't apologise as he believed there was no reason for me to move into the slow lane and I should have stayed were I was, but you are right, I will be making sure I head check before I do anything....the funny thing is, when I know we are riding in a stagered formation I always head check before doing anything, just incase. But as we were mostly single file going up a hill at night, I thought it best to move over and let the boy racers go ahead.

I wont be making the same mistake again that's for sure.
    • Like Like x 1