Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Overtaking in same lane?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by rid3r, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Hi all,

I've searched the forums and have read a number of existing threads on this topic, however, too many opposing opinions and unclear conclusions, so I thought I'd post a specific case, and see how we go.

I was riding yesterday with a pillion, doing 60 in a 50 zone, so wasn't going slow slow.. so mid-way in a LH corner, some dude overtakes me on my right in the same lane. Scared the crap out of me (and my pillion), since I didn't see him like 5 seconds ago (must have pulled out of a driveway or side street not long ago).

Normally, if I'm going slower than the rider behind me, and if safe to do so (on a straight), will move over to the left tyre track and signal the rider to go pass (all happy), however, in mid corner? hmm.. dunno.

1) He wouldn't know which line I'm taking

2) I might change lines mid-corner due to pot holes, etc.

3) In mid-corner, you don't check your mirrors as often (if at all)

So, from a legal point of view, this may be OK, but from an etiquette point of view (or even from a danger perspective), may not be a good thing.

Personally, I think his maneuver was dangerous (an in some way, inconciderate).

What are your opinions?
  2. I certainly wouldn't have overtaken you mid-corner. (Unless you were going Harley-slow.)
  3. This discussion has been done to death...do a search and you'll see what I mean

It's frowned upon but at least he had the courtesy to go around the outside and not up the inside. Probably not a courteous thing to do though
  4. Yep, He shouldn't have done it, he doesn't know you or how you ride.

No crash, all good in the end.
  5. Didn't see him five seconds before, scared the hell out of you, my guess is he was going quite a bit faster. Probably not all that dangerous.
  6. No he really shouldn't have done it but you should always expect anything out there..

I've done it the past but only when riding with a group where we know each other well.
    We've overtaken each other because we've been all on the same mindset, trust each other enough that all of us know where the other rider was..

I personally would never overtake anyone in most cases on a curve because of a number or reasons.
    Main obvious one is you don't know what skill level they have and at wost could make things pear shaped fairly quickly...

7. He was riding his ride. So you were probably safe. Like Bam Bam says, discourteous but possibly stupid. 50km zones are 50km zones for a reason.
  8. Thanks for all the replies.

That just proves that you could never be too careful on the road, you'll always get people doing odd (stupid) things.

Cheers all.
  9. Pretty damn stupid, if someone overtook me I'd probably have a word with them afterwards (not threatening, that'd totally work :p) if I saw them, especially with a pillion onboard.

There are enough spots to overtake on almost any road, especially being on a nimble, fast bike to make this practice just ****ing stupid. If you can't get around someone safely you're bad, so what makes you think you've got the madskillz to overtake them mid-corner?

That said, idiots exist and will try it, so be prepared.. Often it's difficult to notice them fly up behind you though. If you see they're there and have caught up to you, they're going faster, so let them through..
  10. If you were speeding so they couldnt overtake you without being in license losing zone, no wonder they overtook when you held them up in the corner.

Someone behind- slow down on thw straight and wave them past.
  11. ..... Happens all the fricking time on the road to Wisemans Ferrry.... It pisses me off. I don't care if they are riding their ride.... I am riding my f*cking ride.... Generally slightly over the 80 k's limit....and get fecking flogged by the one knee down brigade.

They will ruin that f*cking road for the rest of us... I'm surprised the cops aren't more prominent

Time and a place
  12. So you want to decide for them what their ride should be?
  13. Courtesy!!.... F*cking courtesy""....
  14. Where did I say I was speeding in order for them not to overtake me? (Hint: I explained that I did not see him 5 seconds ago - i.e. I didn't even know he was there, so why would I have that intention?)

Fair enough if I held them up in the straight, then yes, they could have overtook me, but the issue in question here is 'mid-corner'.

If you haven't read my original post, please do so. I did explain that if I'm on a straight, and a faster rider is behind me, and when safe to do so, I will wave him/her to pass. I try to always be considerate to other fellow riders.

Please, before posting such silly replies, please re-read the original post, and if you're still unsure, ask questions to clarify things, please don't just conclude and make ridiculous assumptions.

If you don't have anything constructive to say, then don't say it.
  15. Yeah, if I'm on a straight, I constantly scan my mirrors, but will rarely scan in mid-corner, too dangerous taking your eyes off the road at that time.

Oh well.. A day in the life of a rider. We have to battle elements such as weather, cagers, road conditions, and even other 'stupid' riders.

Oh well, that just adds to the excitement of our passion! :)
  16. Where did i say it was intentional?

I am just offering the counter point of view, there are a lot of riders that ride around oblivious to what is going on around them. Having a 250 you often get this type of speeding p on straights.

There is no rule to say that you cant overtake in the same lane on a corner.
  17. If that doesn't sound like I was intentionally trying to hold him up, then I don't know what is.

Which is fine. But when you're making assumptions and accusing people of doing things that they didn't do, that's pretty rude.

As stated in my original thread, I understand that it may not be illegal to do so, however, from an etiquette point of view (or even a danger POV), may not be an acceptable thing to do.

Dude, stop, re-read my post please before replying, please. ](*,)
  18. Apologies, I didn't mean it to read like this. Perhaps it could have read like that. I sometimes have felt like I needed to overtake like in a corner when people speed on the straght then slow down on the corner. Its very frustrating, if you were on a small bike you would realise. I guess it is possible that people could be oblivious.

I don't think it is rude or even dangerous, as it is no different to lane splitting a car. Actually its less dangerous than that as you have more room with a bike.
  19. No worries dude, classic problem with forums, things can be mis-read or mis-interpreted. :)

Fair enough, I have felt the same - alot of times! However, I only overtake on the straights, but that's just me.

If you look at it that way, then fair enough. However, I still think that it's a dangerous maneouvre, but I guess each to their own.

Thanks all for your replies! :beer:
  20. If someone is chopping me in my lane mid corner, I am already deciding what their ride will be. Without knowing me, they have assumed that I have the skills to keep them safe.
    • Like Like x 1