Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Overtaking Harleys

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by mr_messy, Aug 31, 2007.

1. yes, I'd overtake them

2. No, I'd sit back and wait

0 vote(s)
  3. No, i'd pull over and wait

0 vote(s)
  1. It's possibly from the media and/or movies that I find a bunch of Harley riders intimidating.
    They're normally portrayed as outlaws with short tempers etc.. you should know it all.

On my trip back, I came upto a bunch of said riders cruising down the freeway, as you do on cruisers, at an easy pace.

My dilema was they were going considerably slower than I was.
    I decided to pull over after some thought and have a stretch, make calls, drink and have a slash.
    I did this because I was paranoid that the riders might take offence (for what ever reason) and I'd find myself with damage to me and my bike somehow.
  2. Hmm, 80hp vs. my 175hp rear wheel.

Think so.
  3. Hahaha,

Just overtake. They don't care if you're in a hurry. Just give em a wave and a nod as you go past.

Obviously overtake properly with plenty of room - don't be rude or anything.
  4. Probably don't give them the finger or pretend you are shaking a bottle of milk...

I have taught my 2 year old the different sound of a Harley to a real bike, and when he hears it to say "mid life crisis"... my mates who own Harleys don't think it is as funny as the rest of us :grin:

5. Chances are those "Big mean Harley riders" were actually a bunch of accountants coming back from a health spa.
  6. Listen to Katulu for he speaks the thruth
  7. Haha, awesome daewoo!

I usually don't overtake a bike without them motioning to. Unless they're going considerably too slow or if I know the road well and am fanging.
  8. Hey, they're riders, just like us.

I found myself in a similar situation last weekend on da Warburton hwy. 4 mean as hell looking guys on serious cruisers, takin things at a relaxed speed. They actually made room for me and waved me on with da thumbs up :cool:
  9. Just remember that they are more scared of you than you are of them.
  10. ^^lol. ive found them just as friendly as the sporties so far. the friendliest are the ones on the beat up old tourers for some reason :tantrum:
  11. I would just overtake them... I did on the freeway on my way to work sun morning. They didnt seem to care (as I blast past them). They just kept going at their own pace. Didnt speed up to catch me or any indication that they minded....
  12. If you are talkin' plain ol run of the mill Harley riders, they be just like you and me.

But If you talkin' Outlaw motorcycle gang, I'd probably tend to give 'em a wide berth.
  13. :rofl: :rofl:
  14. Remember, just like horses, their eyes magnify everything they see -- so they're actually quite scared of you.

Pass bikers? Sure.

Pass bikies? Ummm, where's the next place I can pull over?

Oh, and if you're wearing a Ulysses Club patch, lose it quickly!! They don't like rival colours on their turf!!
  15. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
  16. i even overtook harleys while still on my CB250
  17. Just watch out for oil slicks trailing behind them ........ :roll:
  18. What, you mean a harley that was actually still running??? Mate you should have taken a picture :shock: Most harleys i see are polished to perfection, only to sit at home doin nothing, they are either broke, or too scared to ride em, in case a bird shits on their chrome. Pussies!!! (except for the gangs of course, there bikes are top of the line :grin: )
  19. Wheres the fourth option, only if there on a trailer.

No seriously, they are bikers, never met any that don't like other bikers yet. (not talking turf wars here)
  20. Harley crews have there own rules, Sportsbike crews have there own rules. Mutual respect we have for the love of riding and we just keep outta each others way.