Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Oversized tires?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by thecptn, Apr 1, 2007.

1. My rear tire is a 160/60 how ever my local wrecker has a 170/60 which is practicaly brand new for a fraction of the cost, so I thought it might be good to put on, lots of room between the swingarm, how ever I am concerned on how it will effect the handling of the bike, any pointers, yay or nay?

2. I tend to stay with what the manufacturer recommends, but other folk might have an idea as to whether you should, or shouldn't. I'd be concerned with the effect on your gearing, at least.

3. You will find that the bike will be a bit harder to tip into corners with a larger rear tyre on it...bot other than that you should be ok

4. +1, and it could change the true speedo reading. Makes it read slower than you're really going (if I have it around the wrong way feel free to correct me).

5. 10mm in section width won't change very much...however, check you have ample clearance at the swingarm/chain/frame/shocks/whatever is close to teh sidewalls with your existing tyre first.
    Otherwise, I'd say no problems.

Regards, Andrew.

6. It wont change speedo reading as its the same profile IE: hieght just wider .However it will effect cornering as in the ability to tip into a corner as quickly

7. Ahhh! Here's the sneaky bit with tyres, the sidewall ratio is a percentage of section width, so a 160/80 is actually taller than a 150/80. 80% of 150 is less than 80% of 160.
    Mind you, in this case i will be less than 5mm or so.

Regards, Andrew.

8. So...it means it will be a bit taller? isnt most speedo cables connected up to the front wheel any way?

9. The general rule with bike tyres is don't vary from the factory size. The primary reason is no diameter or even width, which in themselves can upset the way a bike feels, but the way the tyre sits on the rim,

Think about the tyre in section. It still needs to come back to the same points on the rim. So a wider tyre must be more balooned shaped.

some bikes benefit from the swap. Most don't. Mine had a 170/60 on it when I first got it. I went to a 160/60 as per factory spec and it was much better.

10. Probably not.... most speedos (but not all) are front wheel driven.

It will make it tip into corners a bit slower but thats about it. I regularly cannot find the "right" sizes for tyres on my bike (old narrow rims) and use the nearest equivalent. it certainly does handle a little differently, but compared to your misshaped old tyre it'll still feel like a million bucks.....

11. One other thing that nobody has mentioned, apart from handling etc.

Have heard stories of some insurance companies dodging or causing problems when making a claim based on non-standard tyre fitment or different to manufacturers recommended sizes etc..

Something worth thinking about or investigating.

Cheers...

12. ah! they are shifty buggers indeed! ill think ill pass on the oversize, ill just get a standard tire, thanks for all the advice though.

13. ........

14. def. slow the steering. As for the speedo, if the pick up isn't on the front wheel, it will be on the front sprocket.

15. Off topic, but some modern Ducatis happen to do a reading from the rear wheel, and not via the sprocket. So, reading does change for changed sprockets... but not for changed rolling diameter.

Anyway, slower steering, and you may need to check clearance - some bikes are significantly tighter in the back than others.