Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Overseas shipping

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by friction, Jul 11, 2010.

  1. Say you bought a track bike overseas, or wanted to ship your bike to another country for a tour etc - how much does it cost to ship a bike internationally to various countries? Was it a good experience?

  2. I know a stunt riding team that looked into doing a gig in Malaysia

    The cost of transport ( air freight ) of each bike there and back was worth about 1.5 to 2 times what the bikes cost to buy
  3. Air Freight is expensive, but seafreight is a lot more reasonable, especially if your bike is crated and can be sent as LCL container freight. The loading, unloading charges usually exceed the shipping costs - so anything that you can do to keep that to a minimum will help keep the cost down.

    One of the bigger hurdles with Australia is getting approval to import the bike, the approval process is pretty restrictive - but you should be ok if you are shipping an Oz-registered bike overseas for a tour.
  4. If the bike will stay in the destination country for less than a year then apply for a carnet. That way you will avoid paying duties and taxes both in the country your tour will be in and upon return of goods to Australia.


    Bear in mind that a motorcycle is classed as dangerous goods both with air or sea transport which attracts higher rates than normal. However unless in an extreme rush and you want to save costs move your freight by sea as charges will be considerably lower than air.

    Contact your local freight forwarder as they do this for a living and will be able to assist.
  5. Used to be involved as an agent for a boat company sea freight is the cheapest but just remember probably have customs/gst charges if over 1k aus
  6. Not if you have a valid carnet as I advised above.

    How do you think all those f1 cars, moto gp & wsbk bikes gets around the world? All with a carnet to keep costs down.
  7. friction,

    I recently shipped household/personal belongings from Hong Kong to Australia (Melbourne), total volume 824 cuft. For this size(portion) of a crate, which was shipped, it cost HK $32,000, or ~ AUD $4,707 at today's exchange rate.
    The company which dealt with my consignment is Four Winds, who have offices worldwide.
    This is just one example of shipping charges from Asia to Australia. Obviously Insurance (highly recommended) would be additional (they charged 2.5% of the total value of my claimed items), but all this just to give you a simple idea.
    I am sure there are more specialised firms who ship motorcycles worldwide though I am not sure if they would compare to these estimated costs ?
    Also, what the others have said above.
    Good luck mate.
  8. Nickers777, was that air or sea? I presume sea since you say "shipped", but sometimes people use shipped for air freight too.
  9. Fair question buddy - my consignment was shipped (sea) - took around 6 weeks. Mind you, Customs get their hands all over the stuff too, adding an additional 10-14 days before delivery, from door to door.
  10. None of those are registered or insured for use on public roads, though. That would have to make a difference; same for drag racers and speedway/sprint cars. I'm not sure, but I think WRC and Asia-Pacific Rally Cars get an Unregistered Vehicle Permit for their brief stay on Aussie soil, as they need some form of rego & (CTP) insurance to drive on public roads.
  11. Getting some sort of rego for rally cars is a different issue. The carnet I mentioned enables the owner to move their vehicle from country to country without paying any duties/taxes in that country and that is all. If there are other charges to be paid to the transport office of that country then they are obviously not covered by the carnet and will have to be paid.
  12. There is a UN convention on International Road Traffic that obliges signatory countries to recognise each other's registrations - if you look closely you will see that visiting rally cas are usually running on their home registration plates.
  13. my understanding was if a country dosn't require a carnet or deposit you dont use one unless your crossing several boarders, and even then you probably wont need it. A carnet is a document that garuntees tax and fees will be paid a if vehicle dosn't leave the country, instead of leaving a substantial deposit at boarders. The carnet means you only have to pay one (still massive) deposit, on a multi boarder trip... i think.
  14. A carnet would basically be required to get into or out of any country.

    The way it works is that on your way into the country your carnet paperwork which lists all of your equipment (bike, camping equipment, tolls, parts, etc, etc), is checked and they in theory check that the VIN/Chassis numbers, etc all match the paperwork. They will then stamp the paperwork to indicate that you have entered the country. when you then leave the country they agin check all of those details to ensure that all of the items that you have been shown to bring in to the country areleaving the country and also that they are the same items. For instance, if you were carrying a spare rear shock for your bike and you entered the country with it but when you were leaving the country you didn't have it anymore because you fitted it to the bike and threw the old one out, then theyc an make you pay any duties/taxes that are owing for that item. With regards to the F1, Moto GP, etc, they bring their stuff in on cernet's. If they use a part on the bike, for instance they install a spare motor, etc, they can be made to pay duty/GST on that part, but for any parts that aren't used there are no charges at all from Customs for Duty/GST.

    All of the equipment that was used in long Way Round and Long Way Down, including bikes, cars, camera equipment, etc was moved on carnet's. Any requirements that any individual country may have relating to registration, insurance, etc is completely seperate to any Customs or freight procedures.

    To bring a bike into Australia, even as a track bike, you need to obtain an MVSA permit. If it is to be a road registered bike, chances are that unless you have already owned it overseas for a minimum of 12 months or it is a vintage motorbike, you won't get a permit. As an example, if you just decided to import a CBR1000RR from japan because it is cheaper, you won't get a permit, which means you won't get the bike. If it is being imported as a track bike only, and therefore can't be registered, you still need to meet certain criteria before a permit will be approved.
  15. Trekka273 thanks for your explanation as I couldn't be stuffed explaining it in such detail. That is more or less what a carnet is about. As long as the countries one intends on visiting with their bike participate in the carnet program then it is the most effective way of moving vehicles around the world and bypassing paying duties/taxes both here and abroad.
  16. Thats how it is here, the EU union and the Americas have no customs bond or carnet requirement to temporarily import a tourist vehicle so why would you bother?
    South america has a policy where you have to cross a boarder on land to not require a carnet... easy enough come in through mexico.
    The only places that require carnets are eastern europe, the middle east, africa and SEA. Ewan McBoorman took an entire circus with him worth well over 100K, for insurance reasons id say they were required to have carnets for all countries they enterd.
  17. It's not just insurance, in fact the carnet doesn't really make a difference to insurance of the actual goods, ultimately it is entirely down to the Customs regulations of the country you are trying to leave/enter. And having a carnet can make things a lot easier when you get to a border and encounter a difficult Customs officer. And having a carnet means you don't need to leave a Customs bond for the duties/taxes. If I was to ever do something like this, which I can't see ever happening due to costs, time, etc, I would definitely have it all on a carnet. It is a simple system that makes things much simpler for you.

    Technically speaking you need a
  18. Thats where we'll disagree, i was saying that with the LWR people the sheer volume of shit they had and the fact that they wernt tourists is the reason they required them for almost every country.
    Its really just an unnecessary document that you have to pay for if your traveling in the countries/continents i mentioned, they don't have a customs bond or require a carnet.