Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Overseas Motorcycle License to VIC

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by telcotec, Sep 20, 2008.

  1. A friend of mine has a current, valid Motorcycle License (no restrictions) which was issued in Greece. What action must he take in order to gain his Victorian Motorcycle License? He has a full Victorian Drivers License.

    Any info would be much appreciated.

  2. I'm fairly sure he has to follow the same procedure as anyone else would and get his learners permit first, wait three months and then go for his licence. Unfortunately I don't think any dispensation is made for foreign licences
  3. What a load of twaddle.

    You can transfer overseas licences. Read more about it here

    Contact Vicroads directly if you have any queries about the specifics, but Greece is certainly on the list of countries that doesn't require any test to transfer a licence over. I'm curious though as to why he has a car licence here and a bike licence there - if he transferred his car one over why didn't he get his bike added to it at the same time?
  4. ok sorry I stand corrected...... I was sure you couldn't..... sorry again
  5. I presume he got his car licence here and then his bike licence in Greece while he was visiting - I've heard of a couple of people who have done that.

    All he'll need is a reasonable explanation for VicRoads as to how he managed to acquire two seperate licences in different countries he'll be fine.

    As long as he doesn't buy a BMW - there's enough bloody Greeks riding them already. :p :LOL:

    (I know of a Vic look-alike in Adelaide who rides a K1200) - he's even louder and more opinionated
  6. Hello, I had my overseas license and as it was more than 2 (or 3?) years or more all I needed to do was do the test and right to FULL license. :grin:

    I would recommend the course first, so your friend would be familiar with the test material.
  7. Thank u all for ur responses.

    Good bloody point Bluesuede! I'll have to ask him why that is.