Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Overreaction by the NSW Government

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by jd, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Just the title says a lot

So a few planes get light up by class 3 or 4 lasers and the obvious solution is to ban all lasers, even those that couldn't possibly be used for that purpose. Just goes to show why politicians should never be allowed to make decisions on anything involving science/physics they do not understand. I mean FFS the new rules will now make it a criminal offence to be in possesion of a computer mouse :roll: (wonder if it also extends to portable CD/DVD players?) - not to mention a whole host of power tools, conference equipment, scientific equipment (eg infra-red thermometers) that also contain low-powered lasers.

Sure there's the possibility of getting a permit - but what's the bet there's some sort of fee attached to that (another brilliant revenue raising opportunity).

Guess on the plus side it'll mean a crapload of cheap stuff on eBay for those of us in other states :grin: (at least until our stupid politicians decide to jump on the bandwagon).
  2. On the plus side, Morris Enema is under censure by his party for 'failure to defend Labor party policies' over the proposed sale of the Electricity grid; he may not get a chance to run this one through parliament.
  3. And we in the "West" say we live in free societies?!?

More laws made for 99% of the population due to 1% of the population, that won't adhere to laws anyway!
  4. What about laser levels, or those spirit levels that have lasers in them? They are flying out the door at places like Bunnings for those doing their own rennos, or building fences, whatever.

You really have to wonder at the calibre of these people. But then, it is a Labor Party government. As Terry Lane, political commentator said of the ALP during the 80s; ALP Policy: if it's not compulsory then it's banned.

(and no, I'm not a Liberal Party flunky. Far from it.)
  5. And the real irony being that those that are the cause of the problem still haven't been caught - so they still have their lasers. So the new laws would just mean the next time there's a laser related incident they'll be storming down the doors of all those that actually registered their devices.
    It's the gun laws all over again (and look how well they worked :roll:).
  6. make THAT comment a 'sticky', someone, please!!!
  7. While reading the article I had to click on the link to just be sure it wasn't an article written on April 1...
  8. This law is silly in all respects. Not only because of the blanket ban, but becuase lasers on large aircraft would do squat diddly anyway. They would effect small aircraft though.

I have been in the engineers seat on a 747 and a 767 ( I think it was) during landings, and you can barely see out the windows. They are too small, too high, and you rarely get to see the ground through them at all.

A laser beam is highly unlikely to hit a pilot in the eye at any time. They are landing using instruments anyway.

I can't believe any government would be stupid enough to seriously believe that this ban will do anything. As other have said, all it will do is make criminals of honest people who use lasers in their normal lives.

Now where is my laser pointer. . . its here somewhere. :twisted:
  9. Well lets hope they don't ban phasers as well, what will I do with my Star Trek suit? :rofl:

10. No he can only OVERestimate the risk, what a fcuken idiot. More search laws come into play. So if I move to NSW do I have to get rid of my laser pointer, mouse, level etc!

You will have to pry them from my ccld dead hand, Morris!
    :twisted: :twisted: :LOL:
  11. RoderickGI there have been a number of cases where pilots have been severly distracted by lasers beams shone into the cockpit. On approach into Sydney three people in different locations all targeted a plane as it was being landed.

The problem is, the people doing this are very unlikely to be caught. So they blanet ban every laser to solve the problem. But what about the hundreds of people still having a laser? I'm sure the people who have been targeting aircraft will probably continue to do so.
  12. The interesting legal issue for the lawyers would be defining just what a "laser" is. After all you can build a pretty powerful one out of parts - none of which are specific to the fabrication of a laser.
    So not only could those wanting to mess with planes still get access to the equipment if they really want. They could also potentially sidestep the new laws anyway by simply assembling the laser when needed, then dismantling it when done.
  13. Wow.. you have to prove INNOCENCE now, lame.
  14. The cops actually caught someone in Sunbury who blinded the police helicopter pilot recently.
  15. Isn't this the case with road rules now? For example, speed cameras are defined as scientific instruments, their "evidence" is prima facie, therefore you are guilt until YOU can prove, at great expense that they are giving incorrect "evidence".

Lots of the terrorist laws border on this too. Look at the Haneef case.

Whatever, the people allow this crap to happen. It serves us right, I s'pose, if more and more freedoms, rights or whatever are eroded or taken away from us.
  16. Yep I know, but your statement sort of reinforces my point.

Pilots of large aircraft, which were used to justify this ban, aren't looking out the window in order to land, and so wont get blinded by a laser. They are looking at the instruments, and it would be virtually impossible to hit them in the eye through the window.

If they are good pilots, they wouldn't get distracted by a laser light hitting the window above them.

Small aircraft (and helicopters) are susceptible targets of course.

I'm all for the Police actually doing their job, and catching the idiots, rather than just creating silly blanket laws which target innocent people, and require far more man power than the apprehension of a few fools.

Oh, and I would be quite happy if the idiots were charged and convicted of attempted murder of a plane full of people. In fact, you could say that these idiots are terrorising the pilots and the people on the aircraft, so I would be happy if they were stripped of all rights, tortured, then locked up indefinitely in small cages out in the desert. :twisted:

I'm sick of a few idiots spoiling it for the majority.
  17. as a private pilot, the risk of lasers is damn scary. Not the type that geniuses in cinemas highlight certain actresses cleavage, but this new high-power stuff. I'm not engineer, I'm not sure of the specifics, but I know this:
    Regardless of how well trained a pilot you are, unnecessary distractions that can potentially cause a change in vision are dangerous, not only for the crew and passengers, but for anyone in the flightpath of the plane. This applies to micro-lights all the way up to jumbo's. It is true that it may be unlikely, though still very possible, for a ground-based laser to shine directly into the eye of a crew member in a jumbo, but in other planes, not so much at all, especially ones operating under Visual Flight Rules. However, high powered lasers still have the ability to seriously undermine crew performance in high-stress situations, including very large jets, which are obviously the times that matter. Applying a blanket ban, while seemingly stupid, does a few positive things. It provides a big deterrence. Whilst it will be impossible to enforce in real life, it gives the judiciary system the opportunity to prosecute individuals who are actually proved to be a danger to society. I don't think that anyone will actually be charged with having a pointer laser, the approach will be very different to that. You don't have to look further than local council regulations to see examples of blanket powers that are only in place so they can be used as justification for action in extreme circumstances.

Not the perfect answer to a problem, but action nevertheless.
  18. Pfft! Ruin a pilot's night vision (which takes up to 5 mins to fully restore) in a critical phase of flight? Nothing bad can come of that surely!
    Tell you what, anyone who doesn't think it's an issue, go ride yor bike down a busy highway, at night, in the rain (to simulate stress levels in a cockpit on final approach) and I'll shine a laser into your eyes.
    Or, hey, here's a better one. How about I dump 250 tonnes of 747 into your backyard, and 350+ bodies for good measure?
    FFS, teh general public has NO NEED for high powered lasers, what civil liberties of YOURS are being diminished here?

Regards, Andrew.
  19. The point is that it isn't just high powered lasers. These laws ban possession of any kind of laser.
    I understand the huge danger to aircraft, but at the same time nobody likes being treated like a criminal when they have no intention of doing anything wrong.

I have lasers for many things, crossbow sights, pointing, leveling and then you have the low powered things that are still covered by this law that have no chance of effecting a pilot: Optical drives, optical mice etc...
  20. How many times have any of us gotten stung by an overzealous cop, one that has no concept of common sense and level headed discretion??!!