Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NSW Overloading vehicle?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by smileedude, Mar 25, 2013.

1. So I went for my weekly shop, and Aldi had a camping stove and some long tarp poles I really wanted. The camping stove ran off butane, and butane was 12 for $12 bucks so I got a box of them too. At this stage I was starting to question how my bike was going to look on the way home with the weeks groceries as well. Although I was well from what I would actually consider overloading given I could easily fit a 120kg person as pillion which would be 10 times the weight of what I had on there.

I have a large top box and a special made box that sits on the pillion seat for shopping. Regardless it looked pretty ridiculous. Poles sticking out, bags tied to the side and boxes stacked up. It was 100% safe to ride, in fact I could barely even notice the difference. I didn't get booked or see a cop but I did start to wonder if I could. I'll post pics depending on the legality of it all.

I assume if I was going to get booked the law would be-
    Drive/tow vehicle with load causing instability $397

3 points
    Road Rules 2008
    Rule 292 (b)

This seems to be a hugely grey and I was wondering what is allowed under it and how instability is judged. I'll admit what I had on there didn't look particularly safe but It was far from causing any instability or reducing my ability to ride. I always do the shopping on the bike and hoping to know what I can get away with whenever Aldi decides to have more specials.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Not really a grey area. There are a number of clearly defined dimensions which you're not allowed to exceed such as width (from memory, 900 mm for a solo motorcycle) and overhang beyond the rear wheel (can't remember the number). Your bike's manufacturer will also have defined a maximum load somewhere, although noone seems to take notice of such things and I've never heard of anyone prosecuted for exceeding it.

I suppose you might be prosecuted under the rule you quote if you did something utterly ridiculous but it would require the police to prove that the load in question was causing a problem and, in most cases, I don't see them bothering as long as what is there is securely tied on.

But, given that my record is 150 kg of cement (solo) or two MZ TS250s and a pillar drill (sidecar) I would say that wouldn't I?
    • Like Like x 2
  3. There was the BBQ guy, which was a bit over loaded, but I also remember there was a guy carrying 2 car doors in what looked like a completely safe way to do so and it made the news, not sure if the guy was charged.
  4. Yeah, it's more likely to be contravening the Laws of Public Stupidity that would get you done.

Riding, kinda sensibly, home, I doubt you'd have a problem.

Scraping knees racing round the twisties.... you'll likely get noticed.

BTW, ALDI are advertising a 57" TV (36 kilos).

If you decide to buy one, can I come and watch you ride home? :)
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Any chance you could post a pic ?

Sound to me in nsw and vic you would be charged with overloading a vehicle and then you would need to prove yourself innocent :)
  6. It wasn't that bad at all and everyone here will look at this and think that it's nothing. But I could see a cop who doesn't ride seeing this and getting a hard on about it.

The box on top is wedged in and wouldn't budge an inch.

Attached Files:

7. Seems reasonable to me. All attached with some thought. Looks tidy.

I use to work as a DJ in clubs when I first got my license. Two milk crates of vinyl records side by side on the rack and a box of 60 CD's all on the back of an SR250 between jobs. Anyone who's lifted a crate of vinyl will tell you their made out of lead.

My old RT had over 170L of luggage space, more than a small hatch back. It was like a ute with two wheels.
  8. #8 mainstage, Mar 25, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
    I'd be reasonably happy with that but I think some may have an issue with the steel poles sticking out .

Well done for using your bike for your weekly shop :)
  9. I had a scooter before, could fit everything between my legs. The box on the back works a treat especially being able to tie the bags on if I over shop. There's an over shoulder bag in the top box too if I need more space. Once i had to do the bog roll balanced on the tank. Though might be a struggle if I'm shopping for more than two.

It amazes me how much you can load on a bike if you have the will.
  10. I've carried all manner of things on a bike before, including stuff like that.

However - I think you could potentially have problems (unless I'm missing something) as the green bags don't look to be tied down. What looks OK in a static pic can end up blowing all over the place when you are motoring down the road. That's what could potentially attract the attention of plod.

This should be no problem. It's when you need to shift a few of the old CRT TVs that you need to pack carefully.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. When I shopped on the bike my rule was fill a hand basket as much as possible. That will almost fit in the top box, the stuff that doesn't fit goes down the jacket and bread goes on the left handlebar.

Smilee your bike looks fine provided it doesn't flap open in the wind. The poles are marginally questionable.
  12. The public reaction on that one really pissed me off. Just goes to show how much of a nanna society Australia has become.

Now that things are settling down a bit in KL for me, I should start taking some photos. Your whole perception of what is normal shifts pretty quickly here.

There is one bloke going around who looks like he's got an entire 7-11 on his postie bike. He doesn't muck around either. I've seen him on the motorway. My wife laughed her tits off the first time she saw it. Now it's just normal. a family of 4 on a scooter is not that uncommon. the kids never have helmets on.
  13. OK, now I've had a look at the photos I'd say that the overall quantity/bulk is fine but I think I'd want to run a strap over those green bags to preempt any flapping. The poles do stick out a bit further than I'd like. I'd probably try to arrange them so that they passed under my thigh so they didn't stick out the back so much. It's difficult to explain exactly how and it can be a bit uncomfortable but I once got a couple of 1.8 m scaffold poles 40 km home like that on the K100 without excessive overhang. Made me knees stick out something chronic though :D.
  14. I load my grocery shopping into Kreiga tailpacks (US40 system) but if I have to stack on top of them, I use a stretchy cargo net. You could throw one of those around the green bags to ward off potential naysayers.
  15. The public reaction is the main problem, several people were staring at me on the way home. If Joe blow looks at it and thinks "that looks unsafe" than sure enough some cops will take the same view. It is appearances more than anything that is the problem.

The bags had enough weight in them so they didn't move. They would hang off a little around corners, but at the 60 km/hrs I got to, they wouldn't flap around what so ever. Also remember my body and the front of the bike would make quite a boundary layer which would see very little wind actually reach that area.

But if I got a real bastard cop they would probably ping me on the poles for obscuring the license plate. But it's not every day Aldi has $9 tarp poles.
  16. It pisses me off that car drivers tell me that i shouldnt carry poles on my bike because i might impale myself in a crash but it is perfectly fine for them tp have poles sticking oit the front and back of their car which is the same risk.

17. I agree that it's probably more a test of the Law of Public Opinion than a test of load carrying technicalities.

On the other hand (or perhaps, for example), I saw one "What The... Friday?" post from the QLD Police where they ridiculed a motorcyclist's "unsafe load carrying", when the rack looked fine, the mass was likely within the GVM and the load was securely restrained. (They'd actually charged the guy for riding an unregistered vehicle, not for the load restraint)

I suppose the main legal tests would be:
    * Total mass less than the stated Gross Vehicle Mass (GVM) on the bike and, potentially, weight doesn't exceed the weight limits of luggage/racks.
    * Satisfies dimensional overhang requirements.
    * Satisfies the Load Restraint Guide - i.e. load has to be secure and not likely to blow away or slide off the bike under braking/accelerating/maneuvering loads. Using the weight of the item itself to create friction isn't satisfactory, due to vibration/etc. It's either gotta be contained or forcibly held down by straps.
  18. Hi,

I'm planning to buy aluminium panniers for the KLR... being an expensive exercise, I would like to know which are the regulations here in Aus. I'm a "Temporary Visitor" so I want to keep a low profile, don't want to mess with cops.
  19. Hi again,

Just found that in the NSW Motorcycle Riders Handbook, but I can not understand it. Any help is greatly appreciated !

Any load carried on a motorcycle must:
    • Not project more than 150mm beyond the outer extremity of the front wheel.
    • Not project more than 300mm beyond the outer extremity of the rear wheel.
    • Not project beyond the extreme outer portion of the motorcycle on either side.
  20. OK, according to the relevant Australian Design Rule, maximum width for a motorcycle is 1000 mm. That's inclusive of panniers. Mirrors are allowed to protrude further though.

As for the Handbook you've found, it's not too hard.

Look at your motorcycle from the side. Draw an imaginary vertical line from the ground, upwards so it touches the front edge of the front wheel and then continue the line upwards. You can't carry anything which projects more than 150 mm in front of that line.

Draw another imaginary vertical line upwards from the ground, touching the rear adge of the rear wheel and continue upwards. You can't carry anything which projects more than 300 mm behind that line.

Look vertically downwards at your motorcycle. You can't carry anything which sticks out beyond the furthest sticking out point of the bike. On bikes without panniers, that would normally be the tips of the handlebars. If you have panniers it may be the sides of the panniers.

That's the official line. In reality, as long as your panniers are inside the regulation width (1000 mm) and the load doesn't look really stupid, you are highly unlikely to have a copper run a measuring tape over your bike at the side of the road.