Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC Overlands Lovechild

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Eddo, May 31, 2011.

1. To the bald bike cop hiding under the hoddle street bridge this morning booking riders filtering through approx 4km of near stationary traffic, I suggest you grow some hair to keep your brain warm and wake up that cloning yourself as Simon wont get you a promotion.

2. Fark me. How's that helping anything but total booking numbers?
  3. Thanks for the heads-up EddoHawk.
  4. I think it's time for filtering protest ride. Get hundreds of riders and filter up and down some busy road in the city to make the point. This is bullshit.
  5. It might make more sense to get hundreds of riders to NOT filter. To do it slowly, legally, and in such a way as to prevent other (non motorcycles) filtering as well.

Unfortunately, I think it would ultimately be counter productive, because it wouldn't improve our image with anybody. It would prove our point and vindicate our position - but only to other motorcyclists. Imagine the rant the shock-jocks would have if it made them 30 sec late to makeup.
  6. I think the overall result would make a positive point. In Melbourne if we got a thousand bikes onto hoddle street in peak hour, to act and totally behave like a car with a conservative beige driver (except for when your life and limb are threatened) and have a t-shirt / vest with "Bet you wish I was filtering now" or something...

We tried it once on short notice with questionable results. We needed way more bikes.

There are Asian cities where their economies would keel over if all bikes were forced to behave as cars or if they were all forced to be in a car. The grid lock would extend for 50+km!
  7. meh we tried that last year but unfortunately because people were sent off in small groups it didn't achieve anything.
  8. I couldn't agree more that filtering needs to be legitimised, however unless a protest is coordinated and reliably attended by large numbers it becomes an annoyance, gets derisory media and ends up setting the cause back. Moves are already afoot here in Vic and I believe in NSW to bring the issue to the fore and get some action. Right now the best action would be to set up an online petition, this has worked before overseas but requires the one thing that Australian riders lack and that is motivation.I don't mind investigating further. Any thoughts?
  9. Agreed.

Critical Mass put back the cycling movement for years. Inconveniencing people going about their day-to-day business only pisses them off.

How feasible would it be to :

1. Run a petition;
    2. Run some full page newspaper ads;
    3. Get some talking heads discussing the issue in a positive way ?
  10. What did they specifically ping you for?
  11. It would most likely be unsafe overtaking.
  12. 1) no one gives a shit
    2) same (and who's going to pay)
    3) we've been talking about it for ages, no one is listening or gives a shit.

the problem is riders aren't unified, they a divided, spend most of their time on forums arguing - they can't agree on anything. we have no representation worth mentioning.

so, basically, i'm sorry to say, we're ****ed, so just deal with the fines...
  13. If a protest happens again, I'm up for it even though I hate having to sit in traffic on the Westgate freeway which stretches 10km. However as mentioned before, numbers will do the talking, so if no one is committed, pretty useless.
  14. Could ya be any more negative Spawn?

1) Riders give a shit.
    2) Fair call, the piper always has to be paid.
    3) There's a window of opportunity right now. https://netrider.net.au/forums/showthread.php?t=122390

Riders aren't unified, but there are some touch stone topics that most riders can agree on. By the way, most riders ARE NOT on forums.
  15. alright - 5 characters!
  16. Of course, riders do, I mean petitions don't mean anything to those they're directed at, they are just ignored - it's a pointless exercise. Basically we have no power, no representation. The government, once in power, do whatever they want (or feel they'll get away with) and because we're a minority we don't factor.

I think I should ban myself from these forums, or at least from 'Law and Politics' - getting upset about things one cannot change is a recipe for misery.

And yes, I am negative, I've been around long enough and nothing changes.
  17. I was lucky and didnt get nabbed. IMO yesterday was an example of conditions where filtering should be allowed. Stationary or nearly stationary traffic and generally plenty of room either side of the bike. It must be have been to cold for the Lovechild this morning heaven help us if he decides to grow some hair and venture out on the cold mornings.
  18. If You Think You're Beaten

If you think you're beaten, you are,
    If you think you dare not, you don't.
    If you'd like to win, but think you can't,
    It's almost for sure, you won't.

If you think you're losing, you've lost.
    For out in the world we find -
    Success begins with a person's will,
    It's all in the state of mind.

If you think you're outclassed, you are,
    You've got to think high to rise.
    You have to stay with it,
    In order to win the prize.

Life's battles don't always go,
    To the one with the better plan.
    For more often than not, you will win,
    If only you think you can.
  19. Thanks Rob.

:LOL: I feel like I've just had a conselling session heh (I feel much better now) - can we do this on a weekly basis?
  20. So we don't know for certain if that is what he was doing? We don't know if he was targetting other offences or giving out warnings or a whole load of other things?:-s