Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Overdoing it with protective gear?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by fortstreetboy, Jan 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. So, as a newbie the message I get is to get a good set of gear, even better if the gear is really good. So, is even more necessarily better?

For a suburban road commuter, does it help to wear a chest plate or vest under my leather jacket and additional armour over legs and arms? (on top of the armour built into my leathers?)

I have seen too many injuries in my time and know how vulnerable my flesh is to injury.

2. Up to u mate. It's only going to help the day u get run over.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Either get Kevlar undies, or worry a little less and just ride....

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. One set of gear, properly fitted, will be much better than 2.
    If you can't afford a good set of gear, then buy products that will complement each other.
    IE a good leather or textile jacket without armour, or with the crap armour removed, and a good complete set of armour underneath.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. Nooooooooo not another ATGATT thread please!
    Done to death...use the search function please! :)

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Read his question.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Stever42Stever42 I did and you and I know both know where it will head...done to death. Discussed ad nauseum.
    Dislike away :)

8. Buy something you will actually wear and increase your comfort, the best protective gear will be no good to you if its in your closet because its time consuming to put on or restricts your movement.
    Leathers, textiles and kevelars will protect your skin, armour will help protect bones, back and ribs.

Focus on getting a good waterproof textile jacket with decent armour and a back protector (much more practical and comfortable for commuting), good insulated leather gloves, decent boots, waterproof 1 piece suite and a decent set of kevlar jeans.
    Personally I only wear my full leather and back protectors when I'm heading into the hills, other-times I just stick with the jackets basic one.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. Back to your original question, probably not. Suggest you spend your money on some advanced training instead. In Vic the Hart courses are good and it will help keep you out of trouble.
    PS Once airbag jackets become affordable and a bit more convenient it might be worth thinking about them.

• Agree Agree x 6
  10. #10 CraigA, Jan 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
    I agree with twistngo. Training to proactively keep out of trouble, along with an appropriate level of protective gear for the type of riding you do is where you want to be.

Dont take the joy out of riding. Just accept the risks and be proactive about keeping yourself safe without going overboard. If you take all the fun and thrill out of it, whats left?

You dont see too many car drivers wearing helmets and 6 point harnesses to commute to work, or surfers wearing chainmail, do you?

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. I can't see a good reason to wear leather commuting. If you get to slide far enough to reach the limits of textile gear you just stand up and go buy a lotto ticket.

However, gear is also about comfort and for comfort it might be best to have separate pieces as you've described. I find multi-featured gear might be annoyingly fiddly so a cheap rain coat over a mesh jacket can work well.

12. I find leather gear more comfortable than textile stuff which is why I wear it commuting.....unless it's stinking hot.

My leather pants have more air flow than my riding jeans and are actually more comfortable in hot weather too.....go figure.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. This is probably too much ;)

suitprotect.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  14. I rode to my local supermarket this weekend in a T shirt, gloves and jeans (2minute ride). Man.........did it feel good. :)

I can see why people take the risk honestly.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 5
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  15. If you commute in leather you should\ will need to clean it and use conditioner to keep it in good condition and maintain its waterproofness....as opposed to textile or gortex which you throw over a seat and hope it dries.

If your on the south coast don't underestimate the value of a set of heated handle bars if your commuting....nothing worse and more dangerous than frozen hands and a shivering rider.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. I'd suggest this is probably overdoing it too.
    motorbike-car-130612-630-09-_044038.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. This is my commuting safety gear :woot: gets a bit sweaty at the nether regions!

bubble_wrap.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  18. I work on the theory of wearing of what makes you feel safe. I don't feel like my textile jacket will protect me as well as my leather jacket, so I very rarely wear it. I might put it on for a quick run down to the shops but anything more than five minutes or spirited it stays in the cupboard as I want my mind focussed purely on the task at hand and not on whether I've got the right kit on for tipping in harder into a particular corner, etc.

19. Absolutely, 100% up to you. But, personally I think you'd be better off spending the extra money on training.

20. And this is starting to be misguided.

Atkinson.

• Funny Funny x 1