Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Over Rear wheel numberplate

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by Fa1c0n, Dec 13, 2012.

1. #1 Fa1c0n, Dec 13, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
    Hey guys,

Couple of things.

1. What is this style of number plate called?
    EDIT: I mean i'm looking for the bracket. The bit that is holding it down lower, over the wheel. Instead of directly on the guard.

2. Is it legal?

3. Anyone know where to get them?

Please see the numberplate on this bike:
  2. looks custom but might be purchasable,

the legal:
    The vehicle registration number must be clearly visible and readable from a distance of 20 metres at any point within the space produced by a horizontal arc of 90 degrees and a vertical arc of 45 degrees. Any cover must be clear, clean, untinted and flat over its entire surface.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. 1. BENT
    2. dunno
    3. ....like beckham? or get rear ended.
  4. I mean im looking for the bracket. The bit that is holding it down lower, over the wheel. Instead of directly on the guard.
  5. There's more to it than that though, since it also has to be parallel to the vehicles axle, and obviously that's not the case if you bend it. Also pretty sure there's some rule against "defacing" numberplates by bending or cutting them, since they do actually belong to the Government.

Good summary of what is/isn't okay can be found here:

6. True - but you wouldn't necessarily have to bend the place just to mount i on a bracket below the mud guard. You could have one similar, mounted infront of the wheel, under the mudguard with the gap, just not bent.
  7. Don't forget you've also got the issue of fitting a suitable numberplate light - which technically has to be ADR approved. Probably unlikely to be an issue with the cops, but may come up if you ever need to get a RWC.

One advantage that bike in your picture has is that being on historic rego a lot of rules won't apply to it. It's why building a custom from something genuinely old is a lot easier than using something modern that's just designed to look old (but still has to conform to modern standards).
  8. Ahh ok - that image is not displaying on my computer for some reason.
  9. tried searching for license plate holders, maybe its not a rear mount but a modified side mount?

I know they are big on "license plate" instead of number plate and turn signals opposed to indicators in the states

10. Perhaps - Ill take a look now.
  11. Looks comparable!
  12. Pitty there is no more pictures or information on that page about it....
  13. Even looked in the genuine HD catalog and nothing of the sorts, I'll keep looking as well :)
  14. Thanks mate! Keep me posted if you find anything.
  15. Best solution, fabricate one yourself.
  16. Any ideas on who to go to, to do this in victoria?