Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Output shaft seal (where to buy?)

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by L0Ki, Feb 11, 2008.

1. This is on a 98' GPX250 that i could be buying soon.

Just need to know whats required to replace an output shaft seal and where to buy the seal?

Also are there any special tools required that you wouldn't find in your average toolbox?

I had a quick look at the manual and it seems like theres alot of removing of things and then once you've split the crankcase it just says to remove the output shaft. Is this right?

Also is there anything else i should do while I have the engine out?

Thanks alot.

2. Seems excessive, I have been able to scoop the seal out from the outside and install the new from the outside on all the bikes I've tried.
    Just remove the sprocket cover and sprocket.

You can buy a new seal from the bearing shops if you know what seal
    it is, or just get one from your Kawasaki place.
  3. Oh thankyou so much...

Thats great news. I was hoping it wouldn't be too time consuming and you've just made me feel as though i should go for it now.

Can anyone else confirm whether the way Hotcam described will work on a GPX250?

The usual cause of a bad seal is oil leaking from that area right? I'm just worried its not the bearing too, because then i would have to take it apart wouldn't I?
  4. Seals wear out a lot quicker than bearings, and it's usually just the seal wearing out, which causes oil leakage.

If your bearing is worn or the output shaft is worn or bent (e.g. if the chain was tightened waay too much one time) your seal will leak much more often.
    If the shaft or bearing is damaged it is probably a split-the-cases type job
    which is pretty much the most complex type of job in bike-dom.

So see how you go with doing the seal, normally that fixes the problem as
    the seals are a consumable item.
  5. Yea I'm just hoping its not a bearing or the shaft bent.

Does anyone know where i could get a seal from in Sydney? Im in Guildford so Parramatta would be closest i think. I'd rather not go through Kawasaki cause they'll probably overcharge.
  6. IF you know which size seal you want or have the old seal, look under
    'bearings and oil seals' in the yellow pages.

Else give Kawasaki a call, it shouldn't be more than $20 and that'd be
    worth it for avoidance of hassle...
  7. Ok ive ordered the part and pick it up on Monday.

It'd be great if someone could give a few hints to a succesful install.

Does it matter which way the seal goes in? (haven't seen one yet so might be a stupid question)
    And whats the best way of getting the old seal out?

Thanks alot.
  8. hey loki
    ive done this on my gpx

all u need is a flat head and a mallot
    bring it around if u want a hand.