Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Our new friends from Ozbiker...

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by pete the freak, May 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prologue

Well, it's been an interesting week hasn't it? Our safe little world of Netrider has been invaded. Everyone's got their back up about something or other, and no-one seems to be having any fun anymore.

I don't know if you've been there or not, but there is another motorbike type forum out there in cyberland called Ozbiker, and they seem to think alot differently to the good folk at Netrider. Maybe it's a state thing, maybe it's all in the bike we choose to ride or maybe it's a genetic experiment gone wrong (as the picture of Ramnad illustrates). It doesn't matter.

What matters is that Netrider has a bunch of new members and it looks like they're here to stay. Whilst their profile might say Newbie or Lurker, don't be fooled, these guys (and gals) are seasoned forum posters who like to spend their day insulting and belittling each other. Don't believe me? Go visit Ozbiker.org and have a read through the Spleen Vent forums. There's some truly disturbing stuff in there.

That being said, there has been the occasional nugget of wisdom pop out of their mouths, and if we take the time to get to know the folks, you never know, we all might actually learn something from each other.

To my Netrider brothers and sisters:

Children please, if the big bad Ozbikers are scaring you, easy, don't talk to them. If they start a new topic and you don't want to get into a slanging match, don't read it, don't post to it. If you do read it and you get mightily offended, click on the blue button on the top right hand corner of the box, then let Vic or Jason sort it out. That's why we have Moderators.

In my opinion, they're just people, people from a different way of life to most of us here, but still people. I think that they might actually start contributing some valuable feedback and advice eventually, if they're given the chance. Just don't bite when they throw out a fishing line, and we might one day accept them as valued contributors to our forum.

To my new friends from Ozbiker

Well it hasn't been the most auspicious start now has it? Let's be honest here, you guys came here to stir shit (censor that!), and you've done a bloody good job of it. Congratulations. What you need to understand is that when you turn up somewhere and start kicking people in the shins, you're not going to make any friends.

As for this whole censorship thing you're all on about, what do you expect? You come here, no-one knows who you are, you start insulting people and generally being rude, and you get censored/banned/insulted back. Please remember that this is a PRIVATE forum, there is a set of terms and conditions that you agreed to (Mods, could you please post a link to the T & C if you read this, ta.) when joining, and if you don't like it, don't play.

On the other hand, if you want to stay here and be a bit more civilised to your new friends, you're more than welcome. Who knows you guys might learn a thing or two from us? Just remember, you're new here, and we don't know you, give us some time to get used to your slightly rough around the edges ways and we might all end up getting along quite well.

Epilogue

Well that's my rant. I tried to keep it as civil as possible, I tried not to offend anyone. I don't want this topic to end up as another slanging match, so please let's try to KEEP IT CIVIL. I won't be posting to this topic again, as I have said my piece on the matter. Now let's get back to talking crap about motorbikes and having some fun, eh?

2. Yep I know what you mean, NetRider doesn't seem as friendly a place as it used to be :(

I guess as a forum gets bigger it's inevitable that it will lose that 'chilled out' atmosphere.....oh well.

3. quick pete someone has highjacked your account?!?!?!

seriously tho when did you grow up anyway? its going to be so depressing around here with big daddy pete patrolling the forums with his wise words :cry:

4. Well said Pete :)

Personally I'm a big believer in everything working out in the end.

5. I just have one thing to say to a post like that . . .

well said! good one pete

6. Well said pete. It'll go in one ear and out the other, but well said none the less.

7. Bravo Pete!

Words of wisdom we can all live by

:D :D :D

8. "I don't know if you've been there or not, but there is another motorbike type forum out there in cyberland called Ozbiker, and they seem to think alot differently to the good folk at Netrider. Maybe it's a state thing, maybe it's all in the bike we choose to ride"

The people from Ozbiker.org come from EVERY state in Australia. And yes we think a lot differently to you people, WE KNOW HOW TO HAVE FUN. And they ride all sorts of bikes no one brand in particular..

"Whilst their profile might say Newbie or Lurker, don't be fooled, these guys (and gals) are seasoned forum posters who like to spend their day insulting and belittling each other"

Contrary to popular belief they do not spend the day belitlling each other.

There's some truly disturbing stuff in there.

Damn is there, I must go and have a look........... :)

"That being said, there has been the occasional nugget of wisdom pop out of their mouths, and if we take the time to get to know the folks, you never know, we all might actually learn something from each other."

Probably more wisdom in there than everywhere else. :)

"As for this whole censorship thing you're all on about, what do you expect? You come here, no-one knows who you are, you start insulting people and generally being rude."

We start being insulting and rude ha ha ha ha ha I remeber someone having a go at me about my NIC and he was not pleasent and then some chick having a go at me, why??? and when we stick up for ourselves we get banned and not them........... :?:

9. I was never insulting, go back and check it, afterall your full intentions are for all to see on the ozbiker forum, so I think that your claims are a little rich to say the least.

10. Can we not do this in every bloody thread. :evil:

11. read what I wrote scooter

I remeber someone HAVING A GO at me about my NIC and he was not pleasant and then some chick having a go at me, why???

there is a difference between insulting and having a dig

12. There is two differant cultures and lifestyle within the two forums.

But we are both still based aound the same principles.
    Mateship, pride and respect.
    This has been displayed from both sides in differant ways , some good and some not so good.
    I am on both forums and they are completely differant types of forums and i think it is a lifestyle choice.

I feel that there are some on netrider who dont have an understanding of the biker lifestyle and it is hard to explain what it is and how it differs from somewhere like netrider.
    netrider is in itself a differant kind of life style.

there will allways be differance of opinions , between all groups , and between netriders them selves , but personal attacks and abuse is not the answer.
    ozbiker is a unmoderated forum and spleen vent is exactly that , but there still is respect there and cuortosey in there own way.
    Netrider is a differant type of forum and it is moderated and being on a place like netrider you have to take the wins with the loses.

As i eluded too before I personally feel that they are two differant lifestyles and it is hard to explain , i will post a link at the bottom , have a read of it .
    This link helps explain the differance between clubs that are involved on ozbiker and sites along the lines of here.
    This may not be truly accurate , but I hope it does shed some back ground on the lifestyles, in saying that not everyone on ozbiker is from a 1% or MC background so please dont assume that.
    http://home.earthlink.net/~rcvsmc-edu/

Have a read , look at the differance and this will give people some understanding of the differances between the two and may help give a better undertsanding and hopefully a more educated outlook of the culture.
    In the past we have not had any MC and 1% on the forum , but taking the two cultures aside we have a few things in common
    We are human , our love of bikes and our love of riding and not to forget mateship.
    This link isnt placed up to insult or offend , but to help explain differances.
    Also not all participants from ozbiker are bikers , there are family members , wives, girlfriends as well .
    Treat others as you wish to be treated yourself

13. I'm interested to know why users who have been banned are permitted back to the site using a different name.

Shouldn't there be a minimum ban time? Eg first banning = 2 weeks, second banning = 3months, third banning = forever.

I think it's the height of audacity to re-register as a new user on a site that you have been banned from. On a site that I moderate, if a user does that, their IP is banned and they get no second chances, as reregistering shows a lack of respect to site admin...

14. the doc has spoken

15. I am a biker...............I am not there because my hubby or B/F are members................and yes there are a lot of different people on the site and from overseas as well, Ozbiker is very diverse, as is this site and a few others that I am a member of

16. Everyone get's a second chance, it's the australian way, anyhow the forum is a lot more entertaining now and as someone metioned less of those, "should I buy a cb 250 or a wxyz250 and which will give me the most KM per tank of fuel" type threads that had become all too common.

But I guess even those can be a considered light entertainment at times.

17. We were told that they would behave and not go around abusing people, swearing and carrying on like.................well what they are doing right now.

Contrary to popular belief, I'm not a huge fan of banning people and I believe everyone should have the right to an opinion (as long as its the same as mine :p:p) but...........when that opinion differs and the insults and crap start to appear then there is no option but to hit the RED button.

18. Good onya Groberts :D

19. Not always possible, some people who use dial up ( :eek: ) can just disconnect and reconnect to get a new IP. Plus - most ADSL providers give out a dynamic IP which can be changed (usually it stays the same, but a savvy techie knows ways to make their IP change). The only way to ban them permenantly would be to ban the whole subnet, which would block other people on the same ISP from getting to the site too.

20. damn, i'll shoot him a mail, he'd have a ball with these guys :LOL:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.