Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Ouch - Long Post

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Flicka, Mar 29, 2015.

1. On Wednesday I had graduated practising from a quiet car park to a new industrial area. Not many businesses there yet but lots of roads to ride around. It was a good place because I could get up to 60K which meant I was going up through the gears and rev matching when going down through the gears. The more I rode, the more confident I got.

After about an hour I decided to pretend I had to giveway to a car and come to a stop at one of the intersections. I moved my left butt cheek over to the left so it wasn't on the seat. I still can't flat foot it and the bike fell to the left. I hit the road on top of my left shoulder and said "Ouch! ouch! ouch!" I layed on the road for about 30 seconds. I wasn't in danger of being run over because my friend and I were the only people there.

When I sat up I got dizzy. My friend got to me and asked if I was hurt. I said I had hurt my shoulder. As he picked the bike up, I asked if it was scratched. He said it wasn't scratched. As I went to stand up I felt my right hip was a bit sore. The bike must have landed on my hip and that's why it didn't get scratched. I don't remember pushing the bike off me to get up but at the time I was more interested in making sure the engine was off.

I said to my friend I wasn't sure if I could drive home.. He said "just sit for a while and have a smoke". We looked and I was out of smokes. Bugger no smokes. My friend said he would ride the bike home, then get a taxi back to get me and my car. I said "No just wait a while and the dizziness might stop. The dizziness stopped about 15 minutes later. I wasn't dizzy all the time it came in waves. It was now about 8:00 PM and starting to get darker and I wasn't going to sit in an almost deserted industrial area alone while he went home and got a taxi back to me.

So I got in the car and told my friend to follow me in case I couldn't make it home. I always make him ride in front of me in the car but this time I wanted him behind me. The first problem was I couldn't get the handbrake off because it's on the left and it's my left arm that is hurt. So he got the handbrake off for me. Then I tried to put the car in first gear and couldn't. My friend told me I couldn't drive home. I said I wasn't staying there alone.

So my friend put the car in 1st gear for me and I stated driving, steering with my right hand and nursing my left arm on my lap until it was time to change to second gear. It didn't hurt that much to change into second. I said to myself "I can do this!" Time to change now from second to third and the pain was excruciating. I'm saying out loud "Jesus" I got the car into third, then a few seconds later into fourth which didn't hurt nearly as much. After I was in fourth, it was easy, just steering with the right hand.

As we came into the suburbs I had to giveway at a roundabout. Changing from fourth back to fist was excruciating again. For a while I didn't think I was going to be able to push the gear lever into first. I gritted my teeth and said "oh Christ" as I forced my left arm to get the gear. Changing to second didn't hurt as much and I realised it really only killed me when I had to push the gears away from me, not pull them towards me. Thankfully the traffic was light and I only had to stop at traffic lights.

When we got home I pulled up in front of the house across the road and let my friend bring the car into the driveway, for two reasons, one I didn't want to change into 1st gear again and two our driveway is on a downhill slope and I knew I'd never be able to pull the handbrake on.

The next five hours were spent in emergency. I got to see a doctor about 1:00 AM, by that time the x-ray people had closed up for the night. I was told to come back at 8:30 the next morning. Long story cut short, took x-rays, told I need a screw in my shoulder. Sent to another hospital with a letter and my x-rays. They wanted more x-rays. Conclusion was I needed a shoulder reconstruction. I was shocked and thought to myself 'no wonder it hurt to change gears when driving home'.

I haven't actually broken any bones. I ripped the Acromlioclavicula (AC) ligament at the top of my collar bone and two Coracoclavicula ligaments on the under side of my collar bone. I have a lump on the top of my shoulder which is actually my collar bone sticking up where the ligaments were ripped.

Finally left the second hospital at 4:30 PM. I decided not to have surgery right away. I was told I could try physio for six weeks and I might heal faster. I was told if I have surgery it would take at least three months before I could start physio. At the end of my six weeks of physio I have an appointment to see a bone doctor and if my phiso has gone well I won't need surgery.

I'm not to lift anything with my left arm for six weeks and have been told not to ride the bike again until I have been doing strengthening exercises for a month. That means it will be at least 3 months before I can get back on the bike.

Today was the first time I've looked at the bike since falling. I wanted to see for myself it was scratched. Nothing, no even a blemish. Thank you right hip! :) Oh my hip isn't sore at all now.

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. May be a slightly lower first bike might have saved some pain and lost riding time.
  3. FlickaFlicka - i understand how you feel about the hip and arm.. I had an off and landed on my left elbow and hip.. Luckily for me the gear saved the elbow and just left me with a bruised hip for a few days.

Not being able to have your feet on a bike isn't the greatest thing. Think about what happens if you need to stop on a hill in traffic etc.. You need to be able to handle the weight of the bike at all times. Being on tippy toes isn't ideal.

Do you know if there is a lowering kit for your bike?

I wish you all the best in your recovery!

4. A difficult start for you Flicka. Heal up and while you are unable to ride perhaps think of lowering links for your bike as Jaytee suggested. Heal up and get back active again. :)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Ouch! Get well soon!
  6. get well soon mate
  7. FlickaFlicka hope recovery goes well and the desire to ride still burns inside because once it all comes together it is sooooooo worth the effort (y)
  8. Baptism of fire FlickaFlicka. Get well soon. Get that shoulder fixed.
    BTW, sliding to the right might be easier next time as road surfaces are designed to fall to the left for rain run off. The right side is almost always a little higher.
  9. #9 iClint, Mar 30, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
    recovery time is probably worst case scenario.

If you have private health insurance, I would go the surgery route followed up by physio.

It's taken me ~10months to come back form hamburger meat and spinal injury - I'm not supposed to be walking. I started riding as soon as I was able to get my leg over and hold the bike up. I think the riding has also accelerated my recover as I am using the muscles and nerves needed to ride more often riding than sitting not he couch stretching a therapy-band.

It is also extremely important you focus on the physio sessions and do the homework they assign, you're also the best judge of what you can and can't do, if you don't push yourself the recovery will drag on. Often physio can be very painful especially in the early stages you just need to push through.

Pro tip take the pain killers, eat them like lollies, take them 30mins before you start your physio so you can make the most of the session.
  10. Hey FlickaFlicka shit eh! Having dropped Wasabi on myself 4 days after getting her, I know that feeling all too well ( as do hundreds of other NR chums !). I still have some soft tissue damage in my inner thigh where the biatch pinned me, greco-roman wrestling style to the concrete whilst the dick across the road looked on...Wasabi got the points for that hold ;)

You really have done some major damage there and you have to promise all of us (yep!) that you will do as you are told please :)
    Looking forward to hearing about you riding again on your suitably lowered bike...
  11. Ouch, sounds like you had a serious bit of bad luck there. Get well soon, mate, so you can get back on the bike (once it's lowered so you don't have another shoulder-mashing accident :happy: )
  12. Geez FlickaFlicka and ouch. You sound like you were in excruciating pain and driving a manual car one handed is tricky. I've had to do it in the past.

Get well soon and keep us posted. :)
  13. Get well soon!
  14. Having done a similar injury, in short- AC disruption, also 3 main tendons off the bone right arm was 6inches lower then normal, no lower ball cup, nerve damage, plate for 6 months then physio for about 2years, before it became usable.
    Also broke my left wrist, so not able to much for about 6months with both arms out..

Re-leaning how to use it was the hardest part.

All from a simple push bike incident.
  15. See!.......Scientific proof that push bikes cause more damage than motorbikes!
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Get well soon...
  17. Pretty stupid to drive home in that condition. Not very sensible with a stuffed arm and likely concussion.

I hope you make a full recovery.
  18. I'll contact my dealer about getting the seat lowered when I'm ready to ride again.
  19. Yes. The bike is a CBR 300R. There is a lower seat they can put on it.
  20. I will try the lower seat first. If the seat still isn't low enough I'll have to find somebody to do the lowering of other things. I'm not at all mechanically minded, so I wouldn't have a clue where to start to do it myself.
    • Like Like x 1