Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[OT] Super Constellations aka Connie

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by pvda, Nov 28, 2005.

1. This sort of started in the "Do cops lurk around here" thread and it got Hornet and myself exchanging PM's and I decided to post some pics on Photobucket of the Super Constellation that I took at the Avalon Airshow earlier this year so a few other could have a look as well.

So have a look here.

2. Interesting stuff. I note that the NAV/COM are of the same vintage as the airframe. I assume there must be some more modern avionics somewhere out of shot, as NAV equipment of that vintage is about as reliable as a divining rod.

3. built a model of one of these when was younger.... i think its still in existance at my parents place.

was actually the military varient with radar stuff everywhere but i left it off, liked the civilian look better.

4. Thanks for those pics Paul, I love the one of the young lad holding the prop blade!
    I don't have the expertise to comment about the technology, but I remember seeing one of these birds fly into Mascot when I was about 4 years old and even then, it looked like a plane ought to look..

5. hey inci, they used even more primitive stuff than that during the war and arrived over their targets and got home, it must have been reasonably acccurate??? (or were they just very good flyers?)

6. There was very little in the way of RF navigation during WW2. The best was probably the German 'Knockbein' beacons, but they were still akin to reading tea leaves. The reason most (but definitely not all), arrived where they were supposed to be, was a combination of astro-navigation and old fashioned dead reckoning. There are many instances of it just not being enough though, Amelia Erhart, the whole of a USN torpedo bomber flght (FLT19), that got lost and ran out of fuel somewhere off bermuda, and Glen Miller's WW2 loss over the English Channel to name but a few. What some genius's did achieve was remarkable, Rudolph Hess flight to Scotland,and the interception of Yamamoto's 'Betty' in the middle of the Pacific being just a couple.

7. That would be Trent my motorsport & airplane mad 5 year old nephew who was in heaven that day as not only did he get to enjoy the air show, the little sh1t borrowed my camera to take a few pics and his are much better than mine :evil: , but we then wandered over the freeway for a speedway meeting so it was the best of both worlds for him, & me :p

I've just got to stop him barracking for Mark Skaife, Holden's yes, but Skaife :roll:

8. Seeing this leave on the final night was the high point of the year for me. Maybe I should get out more but... ;-)

9. During the 2003 Airshow Connie spent some time at Melbourne airport and the back door of Race Control out at Calder has a reasonable veiw of planes taking off so when someone stuck their head in and said she was taking off a few of us wandered out the back door for a look, mid race mind you, but we had portable radios on so it didn't affect the event :wink:

The night show isn't bad on the Friday night and cheap if you park on the side of the Old Geelong Road along with a couple of thousand other people (the cops move anyone who stops on the freeway on for obvious reasons).

10. I've got a whole wad of photos here of the Constellation at an AAAA airshow at Orange, or was it Parkes? Anyway, got some great final approach, landing and rollout photos, as well as some of it taxying in amongst lighties, and one with a Jabiru under the wing, very funny!
    It's actually a converted L1101, which is the military cargo version of a Constellation, and they can stuff a lot of gear in teh plane through the big hatch in the back. Apparently it's not pressurised anymore, so everywhere they go is under 10,000ft.
    Have also had the pleasure of watching the Constellation do lazy orbits around the north shore of Sydney one day at work, probably waiting for ATC clearance into Kingsford Smith or whatever, but was great to see..actually, I love the sound better. Nothing like four big radials lazily ticking away.
    Also remember that sound from the 80's when the Catalina used to frequent Sydney.

Regards, Andrew.