Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

OT Q: Metal = sore tooth?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by es, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Ok I'm hoping some brainiac can help me with this one cos I cant think of a logical explianation.

Why does putting metal in my mouth make my tooth hurt?

Its the front tooth that starts to ache, which had the back chipped out of it when I had an accident involving a metal pole - Its the only filling I have.

It happens when I am holding something metal in my mouth for 30 sec or more, be it hairpin, spoon, whatever.
  2. Well don't DO IT THEN.....!
  3. Electromagnetics, I believe. A tiny bit of foil's enough to trigger it. And, what Hornet said. You doofus.
  4. yeah thats kinda whaty i was thinking loz... so what is in a filling?
  5. Chemical reaction between the metal, your saliva and the filling

with no filling the reaction wouldn't occur.
  6. Mercury amalgum in the older ones, I believe. There's newer stuff that's non-metallic.

I dunno, last time I went to the dentist was over 12 years ago, and he told me to come back the next week for 7 fillings...

Bugger that!
  7. You're talking about a metal filling right? In which case what happens is the metal in your mouth combined with the metal in the filling (plus saliva electrolyte) creates a tiny battery and electrocutes the nerve in your tooth. Typically dental fillings are made from mercury (around 50%) alloyed with another metal -usually silver with a little bit of tin, zinc and copper added.
  8. Do you know when they stopped using the mercury ones? cos I vaguley remember my mum being all "no dont not the mercury ones"
  9. They're still used, at least in the US. All metal fillings are mercury based since any other metal would have far too high a melting point. Ceramic can be used but I think it's harder to use and less durable (more prone to cracking).
  10. Ive no idea. Id assume its a metal filling cos of the reaction.
  11. From what it sounds like, the guys are generally correct. Inside your tooth you have a nerve, if there is a filling in the tooth then it would be in close proximity with the nerve. Thus if there is metal in your mouth it may form a low current with the electrolytes in your saliva affecting your filling and sending a signal to your nerve. Nerves can't distinguish electrical currents/heat/cold, just has pain fibres so you feel pain.

Amalgam is still around. It is an excellent filling material and is mostly used in the army, public hospitals and many private practices. Less in private because people just don't want black fillings.

If i were you, get it checked out because fillings can leak. Meaning they can stop sealing and so decay can re-invade the tooth. Better to find out sooner than later because if it reaches the nerve you will need it taken out -> root canal therapy, which is $.

And all those who haven't been to the dentist in awhile, get off your a$$es and make appointments cause its better to fix things early rather than later....trust me, i'm a dentist....just don't ask me to show you my face :)
  12. So, can you jump start your bike by sticking the jumper leads in your mouth????
  13. Easy to tell, if it's silver then its metal and therefore contains mercury - if it's white then it's one of the newer ceramic ones.
  14. So amalgam is the mercury one? My filling is white. So i guess its the ceramic ones then...
    I used to go to the dentist every year, I had a cool dentist :(

It wasnt decay that made me need the filling tho... it got chipped :(
  15. yes amalgam is the mercury one. White fillings are either plastic(composite resin) or ceramic. Sometimes it could also be a glass ionomer cement but that's more for kids teeth or for temporaries

Doesn't matter, chipped teeth expose the inside layer of the tooth(dentine), which is more susceptible to decay.

So when you put metal in your mouth, what kinda pain you feel? is it short and sharp? in one area only? one tooth only? and when you take metal out does it stop immediately?
  16. I would have agreed six months ago but not after my last filling.
    I had a large portion of one of my molers (sp.) replaced and it looked white and I was happy with it except that it was hard up against the next tooth and made it difficult to clean.
    Next visit comes up and I mention it and the dentist says "no problem I had planned to clean it up a bit".
    Five minutes buzzing away with his minnie angle grinder and it was fixed.
    That night I looked in the mirror and lo and behold one big shiny silver filling was glaring back at me, bastard more mercury, I was disapointed and gullible I guess for taking itfor granted that it wasn't amalgum in the first place.
  17. Maybe not see my last post.
  18. Hmm, they must be "painting" the mercury ones white - can't trust dentists these days :p :LOL:.
  19. its a dull ache. Only on the tooth which has the filling, if I take metal out, stops after a second or two :)
  20. oh and thanks for the tip scooter :)

which one is cheaper, ceramic/plastic or mercury?