Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

OT: New laws to limit use of TV recording

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by gsxr1000, May 15, 2006.

1. Proposed changes to the copyright laws will impose strict new limits on the use of material recorded from TV and CDs.

Under the proposed changes announced over the weekend by the Attorney-General Philip Ruddock, it will only be permissible to watch a recording from TV once, after which that recording will have to be deleted.

It will also make illegal the time-honoured tradition of lending recorded copies of favourite shows and sporting events to family and friends who missed them on television.

The changes will overwrite the current laws which currently make it illegal to record anything from the TV or off a CD.

Ruddock said the plans would make laws fairer for consumers and tougher on copyright pirates.

"These are commonsense amendments which will maintain Australia's copyright laws as the best in the world, for the benefit of our creators and other copyright owners," he said.

The changes will also legalise format-shifting of material including music, newspapers and books onto iPods or other MP3 players.

That means you will be allowed to transfer tracks from your legally-owned CDs onto, say, your iPod. But you will not be permitted to make a compilation CD from other CDs.

Under the Government's guidelines, it appears that it will be legal to, for instance, burn a copy of MP3 downloads onto a CD or DVD.

But the new laws will not mandate the making of back-up copies of CDs. A format-shift copy needs to be in a different audio format to the original.

The Government said it will consider the issue of copy protection applied to CDs.

Under the changes, however, no such format-shifting will be allowed with DVDs.

While you can dub a video onto a DVD, you will not be permitted to, for instance, transfer a DVD film onto your computer or onto a portable video device.

The Government says it will "monitor the implementation of the scope of the format-shifting".

The new laws will also:

• Provide new exceptions allowing schools, universities, libraries and other cultural institutions to use copyright material for non-commercial purposes

• Provide new exceptions for people with disabilities to allow access to copyright materials

• Allow the use of copyright material for parody or satire

On the piracy front, Mr Ruddock said the laws would provide new enforcement measures to combat copyright piracy, including on-the-spot fines, proceeds of crime remedies, and a change in presumptions in litigation to make it easier to establish copyright piracy.

All the new anti-piracy measure have not yet been spelt out, but the Government has commissioned the Australian Institute of Criminology to undertake research on the nature and extent of piracy and counterfeiting in Australia.

Concerned about the possible involvement or organised crime in large-scale piracy, the Government will be referring this issue to the board of the Australian Crime Commission for its consideration.

2. Will this be like that law that says no-one is allowed to tape anything from the tellie... :rofl:

This is hilarious... you can record it and play it back once. But you aren't allowed to lend a copy to someone else - what happens if they claim that they recorded it? Or they delegated the recording to a 3rd party person/system?

You could almost argue that you therefore have the right to make 19 million copies and give one to every single Australian as they in turn have the right to a copy of everything put free to air, as long as they all only watch it once :rofl:

This will be one of those laws that absolutely no-one cares about, not even the government itself :LOL:
  3. I'm confused. Does this mean I'll be breaking more or less laws in my general daily activities? :grin:
  4. this law makes everyone who owns a video/dvd recorder a pirate....

5. It is a small step in the right direction, but this is a scary addition.
    I am assuming that this means you have to prove your inocence instead of the litigator having to prove your guilt.
    That is an ugly precident to be introducing to our leagle system. (Then again I supose that is already the case for speeding fines)
  6. Great the government's wasting a huge amount of time (and taxpayers money) coming up with laws that are virtually impossible to enforce and which everyone is just going to ignore anyway.
    Edit: Ironic that the new laws would make it illegal to watch a taped show more than once - yet it wouldn't stop Channel 10 showing the same episode of the Simpsons 50 times a year :LOL:.
  7. It's a small step in a scary direction. :shock:
  8. Why scary?
    Apart from the fact that it is no more enforcable than the previos laws, it is slightly more flexible.
    They now need to cover video to portible media, and acknowledge that as long as you keep a broadcast in it's entirety (Don't remove the adds) then what you are desplaying is no diferent to it being broadcast in the first place.
  9. Um yeah very scary in a LSD bad trip kinda way. Don't worry Loz it dosen't matter because nobody except the fat cat who wrote it really cares.

I'm off to not make a compilation CD :music: WTF?
  10. it's always been illegal to tape stuff off the tv.

this law does actually seek to clarify the matter by saying you can do it, but only to watch once and only for your own use blah blah blah.

But it is one of those stupid laws that will be ignored by every single person in the country.
  11. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
  12. The government is actually doing well here.

It has been illegal to record shows to your VCR forever.

They are now making that legal.

They are now allowed you to copy CDS to different formats.

They are actually trying to create a sense for fair play in making recordings.

Not perfect yet, but give it time.
  13. How do they know if you have already watched it once and who is going to bust into your house and ask to see all your recordings???
  14. I own a DVD RAM recorder.

I mainly use it for time slip and so I can record a show while I'm a at TAFE then watch it later then I clear the disc.

This therefore works in my favour.

RAM discs already have the technology to allow you to copy it only once. if they stand their ground they can change the technology to allow you to view only once.

I'm curious what it means to 'view something once' however? what if you don't have time to watch it all the way through in one sitting? so you'd play it again later with overlaps to keep yourself up to speed with the story line?
  15. You think this is hilarious that the law will only allow you to watch someting once, do you? 'How would they know?' 'It cannot be enforced'... is that what you're thinking?
    Well, think again.
    They are laying out the groundwork now. Once digital TV replaces analog, and they have what is called 'fully digital path', meaning that the signal is digital all the way, without ever being converted to analog, all of the above will become possible, and easy to enforce. They WILL know exactly how many times you played something, and it will be EASY to enforce.
    And we, the consumers, will be f***ed.
  16. No, it's not that - what's scary is the the "change in presumptions in litigation to make it easier to establish copyright piracy" In other words, you'll have to prove you aren't a pirate, rather than have prosecution prove you are. Could be a dangerous precedent for how legislation will be designed in the future...
  17. that only proves that it went to your digital receiver once.
    They will not be able to interrogate your recording device.

...And when recorders start sending out information to the TV stations then i'll make millions by creating a device to block it :D TV Firewall!
  18. I have a digital set top box with hard drive and twin tuners. I decide to record an episode of the simpsons as i don't have time to watch it. I come back later after the recording is finished. Unplug the unit, take it to my computer, plug it in, transfer the simpsons recording over, unplug it, take it down stairs and then plug it back in and delete it.

I can now watch the recording as many times as i like on my computer without them over knowing. Hell i could even do it from through the TV without having to transfer it. Even if everything is digital, will my set-top box be transferring a signal back to the government or a law enforcement agency with the properties of every individual file stored on that hard drive and the number of times they have been accessed???......i don't think so.
  19. As quickly as the come up with new digital security stuff like this, people break them. It's almost impossible to secure any kind of visual broadcast as it need to be converted to analog (modulated light) so we can see it.

This is why they need laws like this, because it's impossible to stop people making copies, and very difficult to find out who is doing it until they find an illegal copy. So 'hefty penalties' are always more of a deterrant than a prosecution instrument.
  20. I like this one:

That'll mean more of the "can't bowl, can't throw" snippets they used to show on the Panel. At the time Channel 9 got upset and took them to court. I'd imagine if this was introduced we'll have more freedom of artistic expression.