Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[OT] Interesting comics about mental illness

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Loz, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Not funny comics these, but quite touching. This guy seems to have a very empathetic and caring attitude towards the people he treats and the range of mental illnesses he deals with.

I've had some buddies who have worked as psych/dementia nurses - including several NR pals - and despite the fact that they're pretty much all ratbags, I reckon it takes a lion's heart to do that job properly. Much respect to you guys.

2. +1000000 My Dad has Alzheimers and I know first hand how confronting it can be for family, friends and the patients carers.
  3. These are brilliant, Loz, thanks for posting them.

It does take a lion's heart to do that job properly (and the key word there is 'properly'). The dementia strip is very accurate in the behaviours that it portrays. In aged care homes, the residents with dementia are often 'popped' in with the majority, when they really need dedicated staff that have been trained to know what to do and how to react to the challenges of dementia and other psychiatric and personality disorders.

Even if homes do have dedicated wards for dementia etc., the staff rosters can be filled with staff that have had no formal training, aside from general nursing or personal care. They still 'care', but sometimes it's not enough. A caring, empathetic, knowledgeable staff member who can actually do some good is like gold.

Finished my little ramble now. I really hope that tall guy gets his stuff published...the world could do with a bit more educatin' in these matters.

4. Excellent stuff Loz
  5. What they said. Very true.

Thanks for posting it.
  6. An interesting read. Well written. I know I wouldnt be able to do the job.
  7. True that.

Thanks for posting them up.
  8. Got a bipolar one handy?