Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

OT: how to get rid of pear slug

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by nil_orally, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Ok gardeners, show me your mettle.

I have a pear tree which I am told is 25 years old. It has these black shiny slugs on it which are skeletonising the leaves.

Best (organic) way to dispose of them without picking them off is......?

I read a variety of sites on this, but they all differ. Gardening Australia recommends sprinkling the leaves with flour, but doesn't specify plain or self-raising.

Any thoughts other than building a bonfire around the base?

2. Basically there are three ways to remove the old Caliroa cerasi or more commonly known as the Pear and Cherry Slug :D

You are experiencing the first generation. The second coming is normally in Autumn. They can be found on many Prunus spp. such as Plums, Apricot, Cherry and will venture onto ornamental crops as well.

They have a full life cycle (ELPA) thats is egg, larvae, pupa and adult. What you are seeing now is the larvae stage. The snail with no shell look :LOL:

Anyway there mode of eating lets us know what type of chemical we can use to kill the MOFO's if we wish too.

You do need to rid your tree of these pesky little blighters or they will come back in Autumn ten fold. Left untouched they can strip a small to medium size tree of its foliage. They will not eat al teh foliage but feed on the leaf (skeletonise) it. As the leaf can not repair itself it falls and then this in turn is less energy for growth due to the lack of available chloroplasts present in the surviving leaves.

So how do you get rid of these leaf munching buggers.

So this leads us to either a mechanical means or a physical method

You have already eluded to the fact you do not want to sqish them. So use drying agents such as lime or ash, this may be dusted on the tree foliage to dehydrate the larvae.

Other good IPM management techniques can be to not overhead irrigate.

But if nukeing them is your vice :shock: then you can't go past a good systemic pesticide, such as Rogor or Folimat :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: or a more enviro friendly option would be to use Carbyrl or similiar products.

But don't use a contact spray as this mode of action will do squat against this critter. Its very hit and miss. If you hit the larvae it can die but if you miss then it lifes to munch another day

Cheers 8)

3. Would not use flour, once mixed with water goes like a paste and can tend to block the stomata and lenticels. I would use a ash based product or lime as mentioned prior IMHO.

Cheers 8)

4. WOW!!!

Green thumbed bike riders!!!

wotever next.. Peter Cundle doing sports-tourer tests
    "I must say.. the brakes were bloomin' marvelous!"

5. May i suggest a FLAME THROWER ,or for prunnig echo chainsaw,no slugs in my garden

6. see click here on my post above

7. anyone else remember the rose bush thread? :LOL:

8. nope ya got a link :shock: what was it about :p

Cheers 8)

9. rode bushs you goose :p :LOL: