Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

OT: How to do a clean reinstall of XP?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by josh909, Dec 31, 2005.

1. let me just say that i'm a mac guy - i know my way around PCs though have never had much need to play with XP.

so the situation is this - i have a friend's laptop which is basically fuxxored - she wants the hard drives formatted and XP reinstalled on the clean drive.

can anyone point me in the right direction that i should be approaching this? is it simply a case of putting in the XP CD and letting it do its thing?

2. josh, I'd like to tell you it was that simple. But its most likely not going to be. Unless that XP CD comes preloaded with all the drivers for the laptop (some do nowadays) you're going to need to mess about a bit. I'd suggest letting somebody show you how to do it and trade their time for food/beer/whatever.

But if you really want to do it, put the CD in, there will be a point in time where it asks which partition to put the install on. You need to delete the current partition(s) and re-create another one (easy way of formatting), then proceed with the install. Make sure there is nothing on the laptop worth keeping.
  3. The laptop drivers should be available from the manufactuers web site (assuming it's a laptop from a major manufacturer).

Often laptops come with 'recovery CD's rather than normal versions of XP, check first.
  4. Assuming you go ahead with this you should take with you
    XP disc with license key information
    a PC World or a PC Authority disc with a free anti-virus programme on it, also Spybot and Ad-Aware.
    Service pack II on CD

Proceed with the install

Choose 'Boot from CD' in the BIOS setup, then boot from the XP CD

follow the prompts, pay special attention to the regional settings page, make sure everything that can possibly be set to Australia IS set to Australia, or you will have problems with US Spelling in Office.

when the install is complete, DO NOT connect the machine to the network or log onto the internet if he's using dial up. Even if you don't have full driver support, do not connect.

Install service pack II

Then you can connect and download any drivers you might need.

Failure to follow this procedure could result in virus or trojan infestation even before the install is complete
  5. a firewall will stop all that stuff right in its tracks, its the first line of defence and the most necessary. its all good and well to remove viruses and spyware as it arrives, but its best to not let it arrive to start with :wink:

most modern routers have a hardware firewall inbuilt, but something like zonealarm (thats what i use) will give you better protection and control being software and on the actual PC. zonealarm can also come packaged with antivirus and antispyware..... i dont get any problems at work anymore :)

what kind of laptop is this? oldish? newish? if oldish, theres a chance that most of the drivers will be covered by XP and you'll only need a couple of downloads. or if you have the CD that came with the laptop, you'll be set as it has everything it needs on there.

and how fuxxored is it? not booting? riddled with viruses/spyware? just plain slow? because there is a chance that all this can be fixed easier than a re-install and you'll be able to keep all the old settings/files/programs. lettuce know what the go is and there might be an alternative to a fresh install (of course, if there is nothing important on it, and you have all the programs on disk, go for it, a clean install is as good as an upgrade)
  6. sorry hornet but thats WRONG if he follows that half the stuff he drivers/programs he downloads and installs wont work ........ ive been doing this for a living for over 15 years
    the CORRECT way is
    operating system

service packs

system drivers

windows updates

including drivers from windows update

any programs he may wish to install

THEN an antiviris

a firewall

and if its nessecary adware/spybot

by the way .. their probably 2 of the best things to put onto a pc if u want it stuffed up .... i get lots of income from people installing them and half their programs stop running

and never should be used as a preventive

antiviris and firewalls should always be installed last as they can stop lots of apps: running if the programs/drivers arent there when their installed
  7. yeah, whatever, I've only been doing if for around the same time too
  8. Sorry dude,

That's simply not true.

Free software firewalls have their place (any software firewall has in fact - not just free ones), but a decent hardware firewall is far superior.

A small ADSL router with NAT (network address translation) is an excellent first line of defence.

NAT is an excellent first defence, as it allows the public IP address to be assigned to the firewall, and machines on the trusted network use private IP adresses, and the router as a gateway.

In effect, for all intents and purposes, it makes your computer's IP address invisible to hosts outside your network.

For example, my IP address will be logged from this post - my ISP ip address is very easy to get, but what you're seeing is my router's address - not my computer's IP address.

It's far better to stop any nasties at the hardware firewall than letting them get to the PC, and then having Zonealarm try and stop them.

If you're interested in finding out a little more, check out www.grc.com and read all about Shields up. There are some interesting articles there.

9. New laptop at Big-W for $799 with a $200 cash-back offer from the manufacturer, you pay $999. Why bother stuffing around with an old machine? You get brand new, 2006 technology and a warranty.....
  10. well like you say WHATEVER however if josh ... you get into hassles your welcome to call .... steve WOODIES COMPUTERS ABN # 70 313 492 244 on phone 039-778-6885
  11. Buy a new computer :wink:

Computers are a wonderful thing until it all goes wrong,
  12. wot I said, it's cheaper and easier to upgrade than fix....
  13. This is a fair statement if the lappy is oldish. But if the lappy is good quality 2004/5 tech then it'll still kills basic 2006 tech. The HDD's in the cheap laptops make baby jebus cry.
  14. That is certainly true, but anyone who keeps a laptop for more than two years is playing Russian Roulette with all the chambers loaded. I try to avoid SELLING my customers laptops; I suggest two year rentals and roll-over at the end of the period. Even with the kindest of treatment, they just are not built to last...
  15. Some laptop brands and models are more robust.....but the best thing to do is get the extra warruntee coverage (including accident and theft with some manufacturers) that way all repairs are free.

Case in point #1

HP Laptop (power pack and motherboard blown) $730 to repair for a ~$1500 latop

My Dell Laptop (Screen, motherboard, floppy drive, DVD combo drive, video, power pack) $0 to repair after 2.5 years of ownership and its the second round of repairs. 2.5 years ago it cost me $450 to not have to stress about the cost of repairs.

In regards to re-installing the laptop. Get a 2.5" IDE to normal IDE adapter from a shop ($10), spare 3.5" Hard disk at least as big as the laptop hard drive and a copy of Symantec Ghost. Create a Ghost bot disk and throw the harddrives into a desktop and image the laptop harddisk to ensure you've backed it up completely.

Then you should have a disk that come with the laptop to do a clean install of the system. use that to re-install everything. Once its all good you should be able to transfer the backup data onto the laptop with a network connection to the desktop computer with the imaged hard drive in it.

16. Er, I can't get the link to work, but anyway, how does a simple PC user that has a simple ADSL modem go about protecting themseves? Most people cannot afford to buy routers etc and if you change the ip address the internet fails.

Simply put, while what you say might be ok for networks etc, simple home connections cannot do that. Zone Alarm etc seem the best option.
    As ZoneAlarm is supposed to start before other services, isnt that enough protection to what is after all a software problem?

Over to you for advice.

Edit for typo
  17. Some of the pricier mobo's come with hardware firewalls now, such brands as MSI and DFI....mmmm overclocking goodness. Sorry a little off track there.

Nat is good if you have the hardware in the first place. If you are a computer noob best bet is to install zone alarm as this will ask you to configure program access as you go along.

An anti-virus program is also a must before connecting to the Net.

As was said before a lot of notebooks come with "image" CD's or DVD's, check to see if the owner recieved them

These are just a ghost image that will return the HDD to the state it was in when it was purchased
  18. Not true that it's only OK for networks, and that home users can't do that.

Most ISP's offer a good ADSL router with 4 port switch, and NAT capability for around $100.

I use a Billion 5100 at home - very cheap, cheerful and effective.

Something like this is ideal: http://www.billion.com.au/product/adsl/bipac5102.php

The GRC link works fine for me.

Hit it, then click on shields up. Then scroll down and click on shields up again.

It will test your computer for vulnerability, and there are some very intersing articles on security there.

19. I just got a new computer but I specified no software at all except for bios of course and hd software. (Sata)

I have own full XP(2)

I have the motherboard disk for the drivers I needed.

I run Avast and ZA with Adaware & Spybot (Free)

Regular check reveals no successful atacks at all. Had 4 trojan attacks yesterday but all stopped cold.

ZA asks for permission for programs in and out. If I don't want permanent access, I give or reject permission. Works for me.

I would like to learn a bit more about the other types of protection though.

I have a network at work and it has Netgear computer where firewall is installed. It updates itself and the other computers have no firewall loaded. All the computers have individual virus scanners. (Symantec)
  20. Just a note (not about to run off to the BSA) even though you have XP licenses if you have installed these on another computer before technically you're meant to buy a new license, you also can't resell your licenses with the computer. Thats what I have been taught when selling M$ software. No wonder M$ have the rep they do... Imagine translating that to other industries.