Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

OT Famous company hits the wall

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by hornet, Nov 21, 2005.

1. Staff at Sydney's Fletcher's Fotographics have just been told that the company is in receivership and will 'attempt' to trade through to Christmas, dependent on the results of a stocktake.

2. I was there the last time this happened to Neil in the early 80's.

Then it was because he bought the Herbert Small chain that had been going for 117 years for a song. The reason was they had no stock and no cashflow to buy any with. The managers got nice new signs for their store, clothes for their staff and an empty ordering book. They basically went beserk ordering top-of-the-line gear for their stores which they had only read about in magazines. How many 6x7 format cameras do you reckon they sell a week in a shopping centre shop? The distributors thought it was Christmas for 3 months or so when it was finally realised just what was going on, but by then it was too late. Cashflow did it's remorsless damage.

Fletch is a smart guy. I have a lot of time for him. It would be interesting to know the story this time.

Fletchers is not so famous as you might think everywhere, Paul. NSW takes a BIG slice of their advertsing budget, and that Pitt St store was (maybe still is?) the biggest in the southern hemisphere.

Sad news for the people involved, at the end of the day.
  3. Famous company Paul ? I've never heard of them . Are they just sydney based?
  4. I've seen the shops, but can't remember which state I was in at the time.
  5. Neva heard of em.

They mustnt be in Melb
  6. I've heard of them... not since I was into film photography though :)
  7. They can't be that rare, we've got one here in Ballarat (I know I bought my digital camera from them). Shame to hear their closing but I guess more people these days are buying digital cameras from electrical/department stores - not camera places.