Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Orthokeratology- Alternative to eye surgery/contacts/glasses

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by smileedude, Jul 24, 2012.

1. So I received a letter from my optometrist today inviting me to participate in a clinical trial of orthokeratology contact lenses. This is the first I have heard of it so I thought I'd share with all the other four eyes here and also see if anyone had any experience with this before committing to being a guinea pig.

So basically these are contact lenses you wear while you sleep. You wake up and have 20/20 vision without any contact lenses or glasses for up to 3 days. The change is not permanent so you have to keep wearing them at night.

I really like the concept, if it works on me. I wear either contact lenses or glasses during the day now. Contact lenses tend to bother me a bit, and I'd rather not have to wear glasses. Right now my eyes are still getting worse, I seem to drop about -0.25 every couple of years, so laser surgery isn't ideal for me yet.

Plus I save about $2000 by going in the clinical trial so save a fair bit. The lenses are hard so you don't need to replace them.

Trials are at UNSW and broadway, 3 sessions. If anyone else is interested in the trial PM me and I'll give you the contact info.

Below is a link of some googling I've done on it.

2. Having researched this for my son the results are not for everyone and it is a temporary fix not permanent.
  3. I know plenty of people who've had success with laser tratment but the thought of letting someone do that to my eyes makes my spine tingle. I'm in VIC so probably no good for the trials but I'd certainly be interested in your experiences. I do a lot of water stuff so even a temporary fix that lets me do without glasses or contacts is appealing.
  4. #4 smileedude, Jul 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    Simon, I will post here my experiance. Smee, when you say it is not for everyone do you mean it doesnt always work or people dont find it comfortable?

5. I've tried to wear contact lenses. Twice. I passed out both times. My body has fairly strong feelings about some fvcker putting anything on my eyeball. Alas I'm stuck with glasses.

But I wish you good luck if you go ahead with the trial!! Though I'm still trying to figure out how it could work - does is reshape your cornea while you sleep or something?
  6. #6 smileedude, Jul 24, 2012
    That's the idea.

My one main concern is how gradual is the degradation after you stop wearing them. I don't want to be stuck in no mans land where I can't see but my glasses are too strong.

7. Yeah, that would be a good question to ask them. I imagine that if the effects last 3 days, then wearing the lenses every second night might be the ticket. Either that or they have some funky eye drops which help the cornea resume its normal shape.

On the up side, I reckon that's a problem they've already considered as part of the clinical trial. And if they haven't, well I guess that would be my answer as to whether to participate in the trial or not...
  8. #8 smileedude, Jul 24, 2012
    Yeah, the plan would be to wear them most nights, but if i get an eye infection or lose one, or at a rave and haven't slept in 3 days it would be horrible to have a day where i couldn't see.

But yeah i guess they will have a solution.

Edit: just looking at other peoples comments, and it can take a month to return to normal.

9. I'm surprised its a trial. One of my workmates (in Brisbane) has them, and raves about them. From what I gathered, they are a standard, if recent, treatment option.

He wears them every night. It took a week or so of use until he could go the day without glasses. Now after a few months, he scan skip the odd night (but doesn't). The only issue he had was mixing up the left and right lenses - don't do that.
  10. I just called,

They are investigating the effects of orthokeratology at preventing further ocular degredation. The products they are using have been on the market for ages, so sounds very safe.
  11. I work within this industry. I am not clinically trained, but I've asked some who are. Ortho-K has been around for quite a while and is considered quite safe (comparable to wearing contact lenses) and reasonably effective. But as already mentioned, not ideal for everyone.

If it does work as intended, you will not be suddenly stranded after three days, it takes longer than that to return to your natural state. So you do need to commit.

This doesn't seem to be a product 'trial' so much as an investigative study seeking to quantify it's effects for the scientific record. There might be a component looking at effects on coincidental conditions too.

The main reason Ortho K is not more popular is simply the expense, which is usually ongoing. It's sometimes good for (older) kids whose eyes are still developing, but changing prescription is an added expense.
  12. Ok booked in for Friday.

Apparently it takes 3-7 days to work fully and during that phase you are in no mans land with eyes not weak but not strong, so they give you 1 day soft lenses to help you through that period.

The lenses last 1-2 years and cost $300-500 to replace. So it ends up pretty comparable to soft contact lenses. However if I wasn't in the trial the optometrist is charging $990 for the fitting and first lenses.

Anyway I will post my experiances. From what I've read most people seem to love them.
  13. It's not Brian Holden Vision at unsw is it? Wonder if I can worm my way into this trial there...

Can you send me deets smilee?

In terms of your trial, I believe your eyes degrade between about 0.25 per day. May be as much as 0.5 for some, so you won't be left in the middle of an unknown city without your pants.
  14. PM sent.

It's called the ROK group, not sure if its associated with Brian Holden...

Quite funny, I've already scammed a free helmet and wheel lights off Rhok now I'm getting free contacts from ROK.

I think I need to google search all misspellings of Rock and see what free shit I can scam from them.
  15. Sorry for not replying sooner, it's not for everyone like those who are very longsighted.
    As I said before it is temporary and you have to keep up the regime for life.
  16. #16 smileedude, Jul 25, 2012
    No worries.
    From what I've read it works for short sightedness up to -5.00 and can deal with minor astigmatism.

Fine for me. I may opt for laser treatment later in life but I need to wait for my eyes to settle.

17. #17 smileedude, Jul 28, 2012
    Morning 1.

I got the lenses in last night for the first time. They are not comfortable to start out with. It feels like sleeping with your eyelids folded over each other. But apparently as,my cornea changes it will be much more comfortable. By morning I barely noticed them.

My eyes are much better but no where near perfect. I'm maybe half way there, but who knows how long it will last. I've got some halfway lenses on and they are pretty close. This is pretty normal.

18. Morning 2

The lenses were a lot more comfortable last night. But in other news I am bike shopping today after the scoot finally kicked the bucket yesterday, so I had a little trouble sleeping. Ended up getting up and watching olympics. Wearing the lenses while awake was alright.

This morning my vision is at about a third of what it was. The half way lenses feel a little strong and wearing my glasses is ridiculous.

Yesterday my eyes degraded quite a lot and by about 5 I was back on the glasses. Anyway it all seems positive and I really can't wait to get the full effect. Tomorrow I expect to wake up with close to perfect vision.