Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Origin of the 'F' word

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Spud Gun, May 1, 2006.

1. I couldn't find the other post relating to this so apologies for a double post. There are many claimed sources, but this sounds believable. Took this from a news group:

"Earliest known appearance of the f-word: 1278, in a personal name (John le F*cker [where * = u]). I'm not making it up. The word is undoubtedly Germanic in origin; the earliest known examples are Scottish in origin, which suggests an earlier Scandinavian source (Scots Gaelic and Norn, the ancient language-base of the Scandinavia tongues, share a lot of similarities). The word probably migrated from Norwegian dialect (fukka or fokka; copulate), or Swedish dialect (focka; copulate or hit, alternately fock; penis).

The last example fascinates me; already the word is becoming linguistic
    duct tape. Focka could mean both copulate (a nice thing) AND hit (a not
    nice thing), similar to many of its modern uses (f you does not imply
    romantic interest, after all). Also, fock is plainly derivative of focka,
    which in itself is pretty interesting.

You know, English is only one of a handful of languages that has two words for a male chicken? Rooster is a comparatively late invention, intended to be an alternate for the other "vulgar" word."

2. I'm in work. The URL Nazi's will harm me!
  3. So we know where fcuk comes from but what about Fubar??? I see people posting this all the time and i have NFI what it means.

4. The first time I heard that was in the movie Tango and Cash (Kurt Russel and Sylvester Stalone). I think they did wonders to spread that word.
  5. Makes sense now :)

Is there anything wiki doesn't know :LOL:
  6. There's a town, somewhere in Scandinavia, I think it was, called F*cking.
  7. It's in Austria and they're pretty tired of people pinching their sign.
  8. Where the fcuk did it come from? I've got no fcuking idea. Who gives a fcuk anyway? :LOL:
  9. wow - love some of the other acronyms it comes up with. the biggest problem is which one suits me best :LOL: ... ok, other than the more obviously military ones

"There are a number of slang army acronyms that are similar to FUBAR, all containing the word "fcuk". They include:

FUBAR - fcuked Up Beyond All Recognition
    SAPFU - Surpasses All Previous fcuk Ups
    SNAFU - Situation Normal: All fcuked Up
    SUSFU - Situation Unchanged, Still fcuked Up
    FUMTU - fcuked Up More Than Usual
    FUBB - fcuked Up Beyond Belief
    TARFU - Things Are Really fcuked Up
    TOFU - Things Ordinary: fcuked Up
    GFU - General fcuk Up
    SAMFU - Self Adjusting Military fcuk Up
    TUIFU - The Ultimate In fcuk Ups
    TU - (Tango Uniform) Tits Up/Out of commision
    FUGAZI - fcuked Up, Got Ambushed, Zipped In; Refers to out-of-control situation such as a chaotic jungle warfare combat environment
    JANFU - Joint Army/Navy fcuk-Up; apparently used by British troops in WWII
    JAAFU - Joint Army-Air Force fcuk-Up; the use of JANFU combined with a radical increase in joint-forces operations since 1989, has led to the rare but increasing use of JAAFU
    DILLIGAF/DILLIGAS - Do I Look Like I Give A fcuk/Shit? Interrogative form of, "(It) don't mean nothing." Both often heard in Vietnam.
    TINS - This Is No Shit! Often seen in veterans' forums
    IHTFP - I Hate This fcuking Place. Generally used at MIT and American Service Academies.
    "The Fubar Suit" (1997) is also the title of a science fiction short story by Stephen Baxter."