Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Organ Donor

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Charmed, Dec 20, 2007.

1. To register consent as an organ donor or more info Australians Donate

I know in NSW our licences are marked if we wish to be donor.
    Yes I know its another plastic card in your wallet, but will also be much easier to find then a tiny letter on ones licence, that could very easily be overlooked.
  2. too bad none of my bits are suitable...everything's damaged now and only getting worse. :evil:

kudos to those who can and do. :)
  3. About time someone made it a bit easier to register for this. Last time I was at Vic roads for something-or-other I tried to sign up. Had to go to another counter, fill in a form then give one bit to them and take the other bit home and post it somewhere myself.

My response: CBF!

By the way... that link seems to be down atm. Maybe the site is hosted in Melbourne, in the rain.

You can also do it through Medicare: http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/public/services/aodr/how-register.shtml
  4. I'm noted as a donor on my license, I don't need a giant plastic card screaming 'please dont resuscitate me, I've got that liver your daughter needs to live' :wink: :LOL:
  5. QLD it is no longer recorded on your license, you have to do it seperately.
  6. Unfortunately the family of the deceased have the right of veto. That is a rule which should be changed, and now.

If you want to donate make sure your next of kin will be in agreement.

Trevor G
  7. Full donor here.... if someone else can benefit from my parts I wish them well... Just hope they dont take my dong....
  8. This is a very important point - make sure you discuss your wishes with regard to organ donation with your family/next of kin.

Now if the we had an "opt out" system with no right of veto by family, donation rates would go through the roof.
  9. As a recipient (Kidney) I whole heartedly support the donor idea.
    There are many others I see regularly, who are alive today from donated organs.
    Unfortunately due to the medication required to keep a transplanted organs from being rejected, I am unable to donate :(
  10. Something I've always wanted to do, but its a waste of my time.

Wife said she wouldn't let it happen so I haven't bothered.
  11. She can keep her favourite one! ;) ;)
  12. +1
  13. I'm a donor - I've told my husband, my parents and my twin sister so they know what I want when my soul's flown the coop!! No eyes or skin - they're pretty stuffed already!!

When you know someone sitting around, waiting for the Donor Team to call and tell them to get to hospital because there is hope of a donor, it really hits home that it can be selfish to take it with you when you're gone, when your organs can help someone have a second shot at life.

But it is a personal decision, you have to make the one that makes you feel right. :)
  14. Along the same sort of line, its also really important to have a Medical Power of Attorney out there. The normal Power of Attorney apparently doesn't cover medical stuff.

Different states have different legislation on it, but I strongly suggest you look into it and get one.

Bugger! This is all sounding like being responsible!!!