Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Organ Donation Awareness Rides

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by cougs, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Hi All

Heard this bloke speaking to Neil Mitchell on 3AlwaysWrong this morning.

Bit of a sad story but a good cause to be promoting.

In the interview he said he's not raising money, just awareness on his rides.

Full credit for raising awareness for organ donation and not a bad way to do it either.

2. hope the commercial stations in melb pick this up
  3. +1 to that.
  4. I got me a card that says 'gut me' and missus and kids know about my feeling towards organ donation, fark it, if I'm dead, and they can use bits n peices and save some person why not..
  5. They could use my bits and pieces to sew onto a cat to freak people out at halloween for all I care.
    I honestly don't understand why anyone wouldn't sign up for this.
    What possible gain is there for anyone by not donating organs?
  6. Best bumper stickers I ever seen were the ones on all nurses cars way back, somthing along the line of, 'Leave your organs behind, heaven knows we need them here'
  7. There's a few religious groups who believe in bodily resurrection. I suspect that a lot of people have inherited the attitude without realising where it comes from.

Donor here too, for the same reasons as you.
  8. I get the religious thing, and it is each to his own, but what a bloody waste of huamn life when you have kids and shit even old people dying for no reason other then 'sorry, we're out of parts'
    And yet the poorer nations are selling their organs to the rich n shameless!! human farming,now thats sad!!
  9. am i the only one that finds irony in a ride for organ donors.
  10. There is a movie around, can't remember the exact title - might have been just 'Donors' - where they were harvesting organs from illegal immigrants. Another movie was about people getting declared dead in the hospital, even though they could have been healed, just so that the doctor could sell the organs for profit.

May be that's a reason why people don't have the card.

If I was living in an underdeveloped country, I would may be think twice about it, but here I'm all for it (and have my card!).
  11. Given we all aim to stay vertical on our rides, I don't see a problem with the concept. :)
  12. i agree its a great cause, and idea.
    just find it amusing with our reputation

I wish this all the best
    (im a donor. i figure when im dead, I wont be using them)
  13. Where do you get this donor card from,

I have it written firmly in my will, Even my family cant over ride it,

I dont want to be kept alive by some stinking machine, If my quality of life is gone, So am I,

I have watched Three people die over a long time, Cancer, Alziemers, and my mother had Parkinsons,

Except for the Alziemers, She didnt know any way,

The other two, It was disgusting watching them keeping them alive at all costs,
  14. I saw a doco a few years back about poor people in the Phillipines selling kidneys for around USD$4-5000 to buy their family a home. These people often suffer serious health complications and experience reduced quality of life after their procedures. Disgusts me that people in the west would contribute to that. Signed up as an organ donor a few weeks after.

@goddie - I think there are some potentially great things on the horizon in medical science. They've been able to clone rat hearts, so I think human hearts aren't all that far away, and if we can do that, the whole game changes. I don't begrudge people of poorer nations who happen to be living in poverty that decision, but I'm with you that people in wealthy nations driving that demand is a sad, sad, thing.
  15. No. It's mostly that they are too lazy too register.

I believe we ought to reverse the onus. Make it automatically legal to take organs from anyone unless they have registered not to. This would respect the wishes of those who don't want to donate, but those who are just too lazy to have a view , would suddenly be doing something more useful.

From memory, used to have a form you filled in and carried with you when VicRoads sent you your licence renewal

Perhaps some of the legal gurus here can clarify but my understanding is that this is not correct. Even if you are recorded as a donor and even if it is your will, final decision lies with you rnext of kin who can override. Given that they need a donation within about 24 hours and no-one is likely to look at you will in that time, can't see the will as being legally binding in any way.

I suspect what you could do is put it in your will that if they override your decision, they get nothing and anything they were going to get now goes to, say publicising organ donation, and then ensure they know that this clause exists :LOL:
  16. Thats why I wanted the card to carry, So they can use the bits immediately that I snuff it,

Like I said, My will is written in a way that my family cant over ride any thing in it,

I have also a written Letter of Authority That also over rides my family.

My family is also excluded totally from my will or any thing in it,

One phone call, and both Documents are immediately available,

Plus my executor is a JP.

Bit, I am willing to listen to other veiws on the subject, To make it even more water tite,
  17. If movies about Organs interest you, why not check out the pulp movie Repo! The Genetic Opera.

I believe last year they made a movie called Repo Men or something that was a direct rip from the original. Except it sucked.

The original is a musical (yes I know) however its a "Rock Opera" made by Lionsgate. Same people as Saw.
    It contains the likes of Anthony Stewart-Head (Giles from Buffy) and sadly also has Paris Hilton. But if nothing else, it's worth watching just to see her face fall off during her big musical number. Literally.
  18. I think you can get the form from Medicare also.
    I put my name down after speaking to my sons, Mother and Sisters. Thought I would get them all on side to avoid any issues at the time.
    Everyone should do it. Costs you nothing and you don't have to go out of your way to donate..lol
  19. Also see "Dirty Pretty Things" about illegal immigrants in London selling organs, good flick.

Tappin' not talkin'