Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Opinions on the Honda RVF400

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by AMG, Oct 10, 2006.

1. Hello ladies and gents.
    Circumstances permitting, I'll be jumping on my first bike towards the end of this year.
    I've had a look at the GS500F and the Honda CBR250 and I like both of those. However, after a trip to Sydney City Motorcycles last Saturday with LPCIII, the Honda RVF400 has sparked my interest a great deal.

What are people's thoughts on this bike and its suitability for a first bike? From what I've read it's one of (if not the) best performing and handling bikes under the NSW LAM limit.

I've seen prices from about $6,500 - $10k and comprehensive insurance can be mine for less than $800 annually.

So, I'd appreciate any thoughts and feedback about the bike as I want to ensure I get something enjoyable to ride, but reliable and easy to live with.

Many thanks. :)
  2. As I keep on telling you, that bike is all you. The riding position is agreesive, it has a very linear power delivery and that single sided swing arm. :) So, as long as it is maintained well I think you should get on one ASAP. :grin:
  3. They are a great looking bike but getting a bit old. The V-Four configuration prob mean more a expensive service can harder to DIY jobbie like clearances etc. They are so small and the seat is low too...on the VTR feels like you are looking down on a RVF rider...not a negetive mind you especially for shorties like myself.

Down at BikeBiltz at Parra they have 2~3 brand new GS500 (faired) going at a decent price (appraently..I was too busy looking at the firestorm and R6s)
  4. Yeah but with the GS500f's they are more of a touring bike. You sit upright, single front disc and they just don't feel completely comfortable in the corners.

Where as the rvf is a pure racer, you could show it anything and it will ask for more. And even if it is a few years old, so long as they are serviced well they will run like a dream.
  5. I do like the idea of these, but they too dear for what they are.

If you must have a head-up-clacker sports bike, keep the ZXR400 in mind. similar power/weight (maybe better) and cheaper.

Otherwise the GS500 is the best value bike for that sort of money. It will hold it's value well also and a much better bike to learn on.
  6. The GS500F is good if you want to putt around - no fun corners.
    CBR250R(R) is tiny.

Small chassis. Good if your a smaller person or willing to upgrade quick.

Small cyclinders. Engine has to work hard, but is better than a 250cc 4-potter.

For an OLD bike with plenty of Km's on the clock, that's mega over priced.

I bought my 650 Hyo for $10K. Full size chassis, lazy twin, easy to de-restrict (79Hp) and it's got a warranty.

Pull the head out of the arse and just have a ride on one before you, or anyone else starts to biatch about them.
  7. The Km's I've seen on a couple are around 20k. I really do prefer the look of a faired bike TBH and I'm not really after a bike that's going to be a boring ride - I love max-attacking corners in my car and the way it goes, stops, steers etc.
    My car is great at all of it rather than being a one-trick pony. I want a bike that's got the same full complement of abilities.
  8. The suspension may not have infinte ajustability of every aspect, but it's not bad from the get go.

Newish GS suspension vs 15 year old vfr suspension. I know which I chose. The VFR suspension wasn't particully trick anyway.

Not only that, 9/10s suspension is still fun. Just not as fast when you are trying to do 10/10s.
  9. If I recall the right bike, it's got right way up forks and a thin frame. You'll push that bike past it's limits in about 2 days.

Too old and too many km's.

If your going to spend that much, get something new. I went for the Hyo because of the size, it's fully-faired and there are some quick easy power mods you can do.

I've put a pipe on, de-restricted, no air box, and jetted to suit. Brake pads, lines and tyres next.

There a good ride.
  10. I'll have to see about mods. If anything I do to whatever bike I get breaches any LAM ruling or could impact validity of insurance, it's absolutely out of the question.
  11. What utter phooey!
    If the bike has really got 20k km's on it then it'll be as tight as the day it rolled out of the factory. Realistically, it'll have significantly more than that on it unfortunately due to dodgey things happening when their imported. I do tend to agree that $6k-10k for a second hand old bike is way too much to pay, regardless of how shiny the paint job.

Motorcycle engines do not spontaneously combust or disintegrate when they get to 40,000km's! Most well maintained 4-stroke engines will easily do 100,000km's before a rebuild. If the Honda VFR750 engine is anything to go by in regards to the life of the VFR (RVF) 400 engine, then it'll easily outlive you. VFR750 engines with in excess of 250,000 km's with minimal engine work are common.
  12. End of the day, get something that you like the feel of and comfortable on.

Think about the suspension setup and frame strength if you want to play in the corners.

Next bet would be a motard. XR650 KTM625/660SCM DRZ400 WR450

Go, stop, tip in well and if riden properly will give most sports bikes a run.

I said most!! Not all!!
  13. dude i reckon u can push the lams limit, ive seen 2 pplz wif L plates rideing on VFR400`s, common sight in sydney as the girls at the rta can register the bike under your lisence number and still not klnow whats goin on;)

problem is insureence, ifu stack or writeoff/whateva, yourin total $hit!!!!

the problem is, the most expensive VFR400`s r 6k, which is the starting place for the older RVF`s. quite sad, but meh, not too sure if the ninja is LAMS, i know for sure the FZR isnt lams, nor the Gixxer, so honda has the whole market to themselves
  14. What utter phooey! - Back at you.

Like comparing a XV250 to a XV1700.

Ever noticed how things that don't have to work so hard last longer? There are (Ford) taxi's with over 1 million km's.

I didn't say it was gonna blow up next week.
  15. I’ve had one since Feb. It was my first bike & it fantastic. Scared the crap outta me when I first rode as the only other experience was the Ls cruiser & an across.

Its nothing like the other Ls bikes. The posture, levers, handlebars were so different. I questioned wether it was going to kill me in the first week. The throttle was so on off.

So I spent a week practising around the block. It’s a heavy bike for a learner. Counter steering is very much required. I went wide a few times when I was learning & couldn't figure out why??..Until hey presto!! Countersteer :grin: :grin:

I'm 6" so have no problems but a few people who have sat on it has found it heavy & tall. So if you can touch the ground..then great.

The problems I've had so far is that dirt keeps getting into my switch block. You known the high beam /indicator button so I've had to pull it apart a few times.

The battery is very weak so buy a charger & the regulator gets very hot in traffic.

Apart from that, it sounds awesome, stacks more boot then the other 2 bikes I've ridden.

I'm no where close to pushing its limits.

Suggest you take it easy for the first month & be very careful with the lil baby doing the garage manoeuvres.

Look forward to seeing it already cus you know you want it.
  16. Kms aside time is not kind to bikes - particularly things like rubber components (ie seals and hoses), plastics and electrical components (especially if the bike has spent much time outside). Sure a lot of things get "tidied up" when the bike's imported but you're still talking about a bike thats 15 years old with many 15 year old components - to say it's the same as when it rolled out of the factory is just ridiculous (I know I own a 15 year old grey import). If the RVF was cheap it'd be a great choice, I'd be tempted to buy one myself, but for the prices they usually sell for there's much better options.
  17. Well this is the problem I'm faced with. I want a sports type of bike, fully faired that fits within the LAM bracket. Unless I'm mistaken, no-one builds this type of bike anymore.

You have things like GS500's VTR250's etc but they're not sports bikes, nor faired. You can ask LPCIII, ktulu and FluffyDonkey - I'm a driver at core. I'm not interested in something that's merely good for A to B. The drive/ride has got to be as good as I can get.

It really does seem as though it's either settle for a naked or sports tourer and not get the type of bike I want, or get the type of bike I want and settle for something older.

It would appear there is no such thing as a modern day RVF400/CBR250RR - That's the kind of bike I want. It's got to be a bike that is focussed on delivering the dynamic goods and the sad thing is from what I've read, NOTHING in the LAM class gets even close to an RVF400.
  18. Hyosung 250R or 650RL, Cagiva Mito, Aprillia 125.
  19. Ahh the spec sheet racer.

The reality is that cheap upside downers are not very good folks and well sorted right way uppers are a better bet. It's only the top end upside down folks that have any real advantage.

The GS frame is fine for the weight of the bike.

If you can find a learner that can find the limit of a GS in under 2 months, let alone 2 days, he should be racing in a GP team.

Stop racing spec sheets and get some reality people.
  20. I've been cautioned about Hyosungs reliability being good and bad, rather than consistent and power is somewhat lacking last time I checked. I've also been advised not to go 2-stroke as a first bike as they're extremely fragile and high maintinence (if a hoot to ride).