Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Opinions on my next bike

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by my34, Mar 14, 2016.

?
  1. Yamaha MT-07

25.0%
  2. Yamaha FZ6R

25.0%
  3. Other (please name)

50.0%
  1. Hey Guys. So I'm currently riding an R3 which I bought in August last year as my first bike. I've been riding it pretty much every day and I'm now at the point where I want to upgrade to something with more torque/power. Problem is that I still have 2 years and 4 months of LAMS restrictions so I'm not going to risk buying a bike I can't ride.
    I've been looking at the MT-07 LAMS which I have ridden and I think it's a great bike. Perfect for communing to work which is my primary purpose. Problem is it costs a bit more than I'm willing to spend right now. Then there is the FZ6R which is cheaper, but not as nice. I really don't know what to do. Any suggestions about which one I should get? Or is there another you would recommend? I'm looking for something in the 600cc range that is LAMS approved and comfortable to ride.

2. Go jump on all the larger capacity lams bikes you like and test ride them, see if anything really catches your attention, and see if the additional power is going to satisfy you for another 30 odd months.

3. how about Kwaka 636 - as chillibuttonchillibutton says, ride a few before you make up your mind. on the other hand you could always save your money and keep what you've got and then you'll have more to spend on your blinged out tricked up unrestricted ride when you're fully licenced.

4. Dunno what your budget is but the Suzuki gladius, Kawasaki er6nl, Kawasaki ninja 650 are all worthy for consideration.

5. I don't think the 636 is a lams bike.

6. Your commuting on it, why the need for a bigger bike so soon if that's the sole purpose? Know a few people that have litre bikes, but still commute on a 250 or similar.

7. oops sorry, you are correct thanks for pointing that out icemaniceman .

I'll revert to one previously recommended then - 650L. a mate of mine has one of these (thought it was the 636 sorry :( ). I rode it from Wollongong to Sydney when he bought it back in January and it's great, handles well, comfortable ride position, did ok with 100kgs of me on its back. has a nice pipe on it and looks and sounds the goods!

8. My suggestion won't be immediately helpful. Work out what you're budget is, then test ride EVERY bike that is within that budget. Buy the one YOU like the most. Realistically if you stick with the Jap bikes you can't go too far wrong, it's just personal preference.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Are you buying new or used? There could be a saving to be had there.

10. How tall are you? The 650 Versys and quite a few LAMS motards are an absolute hoot to ride, but you need to be fairly long of leg.