Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Opinions on Flip Face Helmets?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' at netrider.net.au started by uncosnail, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Saw some of these at AMX Bayswater yesterday. RJAYS, $230.

Was just wondering what peoples opinions were on these.

What are the benefits other than not having to take your helmet and gloves off to do the breath test.

What do you like and what do you hate about these. Anyone had an accident whilst wearing one?

2. I may need one soon due to working in a secure area.The only thing negative I have read on the flip face helmets are that they can be noisy..but thats a personal interpretation..not my experience.

There are lots of types and reviews here.
    http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmets.htm
    Keep in mind that not all the lids here are for sale in Aus and they dont have a write up on the one you have your eye on...I do like the Zeuss Z3000 though.

3. some are better than others.

have a look at the shark evoline,
    latest tech, cool helmet

4. A good quality flip face helmet can still be quieter than a shit normal full face helmet.

Oh man, those R-Jays helmets are just truly rubbish.

5. Spoken to a few who wear them and they all love the convenience of them.
    Only issues I've ever heard by only a few is that some have wind noise issues.

Grey uses one....

6. Convenient, yes, but I went back to a full face because I didnt want to put my trust in the locking mechanism in the event of an accident.

7. I've used an RJays Tourtech helmet for 3 years. It's no noisier than my normal full faced helmet.

Advantages: I don't have to take my glasses off when putting it on / off. Handy for RBT's and paying for fuel. Great for touring when you need to get off just for a quick drink or bite to eat.

Disadvantages: struggling a bit to think of one. Probably the biggest - it's only lasted me 3 years and feels like the lining has compressed enough that it's no longer a completely snug fit - yeah fairly big disadvantage but it's seen a lot of kms too.

8. I just bought a tourtech on the weekend exactly for that - my glasses.

First helmet so NFI if it's good or not. Sure is heavy though.

9. 3 cents worth of plastic clip determine whether the helmet goes from 'safe-ish' to '****ing nightmare'. They are a ****ing trap.

10. I reckon they're bloody beaut and I really struggle to buy anything else. I'm hooked on the Nolan N102E.

11. The sort of impact that is most likely to f&^k your face up is, coincidentally the sort of impact that will tend to force the helmet closed rather than tear it open. I suppose it's conceivable that, if you're sliding with the side of the helmet on the deck it might open and expose you to some potential gravel rash, but I'd see the likelihood as low and the likely consequence as unpleasant but probably not life-changing. The sort of impact that would put direct tension loads on the catches is quite likely to have broken your neck before the chinbar opens anyway.

That said, I'd be inclined to double check the thing was properly latched every time I closed it. I suspect that at least some of the stories of such helmets opening in a crash are down to incomplete closure.

12. The Shark is good to about $1.50 then it starts to all go bad. They are fantastic for cruising around town though.

13. for peoples info

impact_zones_161_920.

14. I haven't heard anything bad about flip face helmets, I couple of blokes I ride with have them and reckon they're great.

Oh, who is Dietmar Otte?

15.  Top
  16. That diagram has been posted before several times. Notable point is that in crashes involving a head impact, 35% occur in the chinbar area. A bit over one in three. That sounds like a lot but should be placed into context.

(i) many crashes do not involve a head impact. My own experience (sample size of 1) suggests about 50%.
    (ii) at least some (and probably a majority) of those chinbar impacts will not open the helmet to an extent that leaves the face unprotected.
    (iii) at least some of those chinbar impacts would not be of a severity to cause life changing injuries. Possibly painful and unpleasant, yes, but not permanent.

The only hard Australian data we have on the prevalence of facial injuries wrt helmet type (it's been referenced before on NR but I can't be arsed looking it up right now) indicates that facial injuries occur in 8% of injury accidents to open-face wearers, vs 4% for full face wearers. If we assume that the protection offered by a flip-face falls somewhere between the two, you're looking at maybe a 6% chance of facial injuries if you fall off and injure yourself. Probably better 'cos I suspect that a decent flip face will fall nearer the full face end of the spectrum. It certainly should. And, of course, facial injuries in this context will include everything from bruising and a bit of gravel rash upwards.

Given that crashes are, in themselves, rare occurences, the odds of a flip lid doing an adequate job seem pretty good to me.

Of course, you could get the statistical shitty end of the stick, but if you're really worried about that, I would respectfully suggest that biking, with it's myriad potential hazards, is not for you.

17. true that..I have three serious offs in my riding time (touch wood that will be all) two of them the helmet contacted the deck, both times though they impacted on the left side of the lid more towards the top.
    If you want/need one, I say go for it..if it has passed Aussy standards testing then more people have srcutinsed the design, to find flaws under conditions that your helmet shouldn't have to go through in day to day riding.

18. Agreed. If it really bothers you, sell the bike and buy a Volvo.

19. Thanx for all the info, on both sides, the helmet I was looking at was the RJays Tourtech one. I like the idea of being able to fill up and go into the servo without taking the helmet off.

20. Each to their own I guess. Personally I can't wait to get mine off at every stop. Yes, I know it takes time, but it's less hassle than getting my current gloves off and on and I have to do that in order to dig in pockets, handle money etc. so it doesn't add much overall.