Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Opinions on bikes chosen good or bad

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by davnic, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Hi i would like to ask your opinion on the bikes i have short listed
    Good or bad or alternatives.

I have had plenty of riding experience in the past but have not ridden for over 25 years so it will be back basics and learning how to ride all over again.
    The plan is to keep the bike for a few years and want a bike with a more upright seating position and that im not going to hate due to lack of power in 6 months. The bike will mainly be used 90% country and 10% city riding so would need to sit comfortably on 100 kph for long stints.

1. BMW G650 GS
    The reason i chose this bike is i used to have a Yamaha tt500 that had extensive modifications for road and trail riding and it was one of my favourites. But i could be kidding myself and never take it of road like my 4wd parked in the drive.

2. Yamaha XVS650 or a Hyosung GV650 Aquila I had originally decided to dismiss the cruisers because i used to own an old Harley and thought the cruisers were just not right. I have since changed my mind after looking at some examples on the net like Akalukes XVS650.

3. Ducati 659 monster. No particular reason just really love the look of it.

3 totally different bikes i know but that's were i am at the moment and have yet to ride any but plan on going to Melbourne soon and organising some test rides. If you own any of these or can offer an opinion on them either way or suggest an alternative to look at it would be greatly appreciated.

2. Depends a lot on you, but I wouldn't rate any of those very highly if you're worried about feeling you'll have a lack of power in 6 months.
  3. Hi wayned, lack of power i was thinking more overtaking and want to keep for a while so was thinking of de-restriction. This could be totally unrealistic and would just have to upgrade later on.
  4. Not sure if it's actually legal to derestrict in some states, even if you are off restrictions yourself.
    You need to decide what kind of riding you want to do, then it'll be a simple choice.
  5. of the four, the beemer.
    it's the most flexible choice. can do all.
    i'd own one. simple torquey single thumper fun.
  6. xt 660 variations might be worth a look
    or dr 650. cheap bulletproof. just needs a seat
  7. Based on your requirement of sitting at 100 kph for long stints, and requiring enough power to satisfy when your riding skills have returned, I would think that a BMW F650 or BMW F800 would be a better choice than a BMW G650.

I have a friend who test-rode the G650 before deciding on the F650. From memory, he didn't think the G650 was as quality a bike as the F650, and my personal understanding is that the G650's engine is made in China, which makes the BMW price tag harder to rationalise.

As far as the F650 is concerned, it has the same 800 cc parallel twin engine from the F800, but has been detuned to the maximum power/torque outputs you would expect from a 650 cc machine. In every day riding, you wouldn't notice or care, as they are capable of a day in the hills or riding around Oz.

Personally, I have ridden the F800, and apart from the consequences of grabbing a handful of throttle from a standing start, the bike is very user friendly with a low centre of gravity, comfortable seating position, and a very flexible engine. But for bang for your buck, the F650 would win.
  8. he wants LAMBS bikes.
    the G650 will do it. they are still standard issue for some military and police forces.

the cruisers would be wallowing land whales.

the duc would look and sound nice, but unfortunately he'd still have to ride it.
  9. Maybe Sam Kekovic can help with them lol
  10. There is (or seems to be) a fairly solid physical limit on the amount of reliable performance that big singles can offer. Added to my (possibly unfounded) distrust of the "non-traditional" BMWs, that would mean I probably wouldn't go for the BM. If I did decide I wanted a dirt and road capable thumper I'd probably go for a DR650 (as indeed I did) as MT1 suggests. The ergos aren't up to BMW standard but it's just as quick, probably equally reliable and costs a whole bucketload less. Big thumpers aren't great on the open road, though. My DR will run at 130 all day (in the NT of course, officer :D) and I'd assume the BM to be similarly capable but it's really not its forte and it isn't the bike to buy if that is going to be it's primary use.

I'm not personally familiar with either of the cruisers. I'd regard either as being less versatile than the BM or any other big trailie. They'll be a little quicker (or at least a lot more relaxed) in a straight line. Comfort is going to depend on whether you fit the riding position or not. Some like it, others find that taking all their weight on their arse becomes painful fairly quickly. Only way to find out is to try and get a ride on one that lasts more than a few minutes. From a personal point of view, I've never really seen the point in cruisers that don't have enough torque to pull your arms off. That sets the minimum bar at about a litre for a twin but that's just me.

The Duke seems to be the most useful pick of the three. Kind of an all-purpose road bike. Should have (or be capable of having depending on presence of LAMS restrictor or not) a lot more go than either of the others. Dunno if Duke are now offering the sort of turn-key reliability and fuss free ownership that the Japanese manufacturers excel at but I see a few being used as everyday commuters so they can't be that bad.
  11. i love Sam.
    i feel like killing a juicy baby lamb now
  12. the ergonomics on the ducati suck though. really just designed to make you look macho.
    not so great for the long slab.
    then you've got italian gear ratios to make sense of, which aparantly you need to "feela"
    just end up wasting money trying to make the bike right.
  13. Cheers, didn't see that, guess I should have realised. :p
  14. Note most of the newer Ducati monsters have had the bars raised 20 mm, and the seats are very improved.

170,000 owners cant be that wrong.

As a disclaimer, i just bought a monster myself, and have only been pleasantly surprised by it since.
    The monster is loved all around the world, and has succeeded by reputation rather than branding recognition.

Do yourself a favour, and test ride one. Then you will know for yourself.
  15. Go do a two or three day course and get your license.
    Learn the proper basics.
    Now you will be a bit more informed without a word being spoken.
    Now you can decide what you really want, and what will suit you. Because it will be you making the decision with first class, first hand information.
    Because it will be you test riding them all and deciding is this bike for me. And hey who knows you better than you.
    I'm fifty. I love my dirt bikes to death. And they not my roadies will be the death of me. I just don't have the fitness to go hard that long anymore, and I can't help myself when I am on a dirty. I have to go hard. That's where the fun is.
    Look initially are very important on a bike.
    But nothing beats the proper tool for the job.