Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Opinions on a Big Bandit

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by Bravus, Mar 12, 2008.

1. My ideal bike (I think, today!) is a Firestorm, but it'll be a year or two until I can afford a decent one, and the poor old GSXF I'm riding is showing its age.

It's possible that She Who Must Be Obeyed could be persuaded to get behind an upgrade to this 1999 Bandit 1200S.

Obviously any opinions you give are subject to a test ride and mechanical inspection of the bike, but does it seem like a viable machine for my regular commuting and a certain amount of two-up with a couple of people in the vicinity of 100 kg each? (She's gonna kill me if she reads this!)

In particular, how do they go in stop-start traffic?

Pretty tempted...

2. By all accounts they're a very good bike and the engine they use is arguably the most reliable ever made. Should be ideal for what you want, and seems like a pretty good price too.

3. C0ck, I totally forgot that I'd already asked that question! Senile dementia, here we come...

Ah well, just any thoughts on the specific example then. ;)

4. Thanks jd

Now, off to buy some roses and chocolate and champagne, after I tidy the house. ;)

5. At least you remembered before someone did the usual "use the search function" post :LOL:

6. Its the late 90's hoon machine!

7. I'd say if that example checks out ok then it's a good buy at that price.
    I parked next to a late 1200 at a café last week and as good as they are they look dated next to the 1250.

I dont think you'll be dissapointed though. :wink:

8. They can have weird handling issues... Make sure you get a test ride and you're happy with the low-speed handling in particular.

The engines are monstrous, they're awesome, and the frame on that model presents the engine very nicely and makes for a beautiful streetfighter.

But yeah, of the 3 I've ridden, 2 had severe handling issues, and I haven't yet spent any time working out how to sort them out. May well have been tyres and suspension, but you'll want to make sure you ride it before you spend any money, or else confident that you can turn a boat into a bike with some adjustments.

9. The biggest problem is the rear shock, the front end is fine if you drop the forks about 10mm through the triple clamps.

The rear shocks however benefit hugely from revalving (or replacing).

I spent about $2000 on suspension components on my 96 Bandit but to be honest 80% of the improvement came from the first $500 I spent on the rear shock and spring.

Also avoid tyres with a triangular profile... they don't seem to work as well on the Bandit.

Try a Pilot Road 2 or a similar dual compound tyre with a rounded profile.

If you can't afford anything else then at least make sure you drop the forks 10mm, otherwise they understeer badly.

By comparison my K6 Bandit handles better stock than my 96 Bandit did even after the $2k of suspension mods.

10. Then along came the "wet" bandits :grin:

11. I like the "wet" bandits but I'd like to get a bit more use than 2 years out of a bike I bought brand new.

And most of the depreciation happens in the first 2 years, so financially it makes sense to keep a bike one buys new for 4 to 5 years.

I'll have a look and see whats around in another couple of years :)