Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Opinions and experience wanted: Selling back to the dealership

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by hackavatar, Dec 29, 2011.

1. I hope this is the right place for this, if not, mods please move.

I've never sold a motorcycle before, so I'd really appreciate some input from those who have some experience :) I'll keep this in simple dot point format for easy reading:

• Currently have a Ninja 250R, 2011 model. 11,500km, no damage, I'm the only owner. Bought from a dealership.
    • Ninja needs a service soon. Have full service records thus far.
    • Bought from the dealership brand new, selling it back would mean returns on manufacturer warranty + dealership warranty etc.
    • Selling privately may mean I get more for the bike - dealerships always try and rip you off, right?
    • Selling sooner rather than later would be good, rego/insurance runs out on the 11th.
    • Looking at upgrading to a Yamaha R1 in the next few months. Can't quite afford it now, and don't want a dealership to finance me.

Planning on going to a few different dealerships tomorrow and seeing what they'll offer me for it. What traps should I be looking out for? What other options are there? Since it's really a beginner bike I probably won't get that much attention on the forums here, eBay is another option I guess.

Thanks for your input guys.

2. I thought Redbook was good when I first started looking at prices: the prices a VERY much a guide, and to be taken with a pinch of salt: with the price drops of many New Bikes out there in the last year or two: it is lagging behind, on some models at least, on the prices, imo anyways.

A LOT of the Dealers on a few sales sites are actually selling USED bikes, for more then the price of a Brand new Model, same bike! I thought the games industry was ripping off the general Public, when it came to retail prices: The Motorcycle Lads could teach those guys a thing or two!!

I just find it amazing how people can expect to get %75 of the purchase price of something they've owned (and come on, who lets a bike go without wringing it's bloody neck off?) for 2 or 3 years, uses up more then %50 of the "life" of the item, and then wonder why prices remain so high when you look at conversion rates and so forth....
  3. I traded my 2010 Ninja250 SE in at a dealership and got $4000 for it with 17K's on the clock, this was at the end of June.
  4. (this is a cut and paste to a similar thread i just replied to )

thats is the EXACT reason why i didnt bother chasing more cash for my old eliminator, by selling it privately.

when i brought it around to my suzuki dealer for the changeover, they hadnt seen it yet. it was better looking condition wise than all of their second hand bikes. they gave me a reaonable amount, (i prob lost $500-$1000) but they admitted they will easily sell that bike, (and they did asap).

plus dealers have to put a warranty on the bike you trade in, so they need to make some on it as well.
  5. If you want to sell quickly without hassle trade it in

If you want to sell for the most amount of money and time isn't as important (which as you said, you're in no hurry to get the R1 until you can afford it which selling privately will help), sell privately

Ninja 250s sell quickly privately and for more money, plus there's a waiting list at many dealerships so there are a lot looking for near-new late models on the private market. Just do it privately.
  6. Compare to whats on bikesales and estimate its private worth.
    Compare to the trade in offered.
    If private is significantly more then sell on bikesales.

Don't allow test rides to tyre kickers. They should be cashed up and ready to buy and you hold the cash in case they dash. They shouldn't be using your bike to decide if they want a ninja, just test to ensure that your ninja runs like a ninja should (a good test is ask if they have decided they definitely want this model ninja. if not sure, they're a tyre kicker. no test ride for you.)
  7. Peronally I would taker a hit and take the trade in price for a smooth changeover to a new bike. Ride in on one bike and out on another. Done deal.
    I am not sitting around on my days off waiting for someone how may or may not turn up to look at the bike and dick me around. I could be out riding a new bike!
    Plus i don't want to get stuck with two lots of rego, insurnce etc etc.
    Some folk need the extra few bob.
    me....i put a high price on my time off.

*note* - you insurance may not cover another rider so if they crash during a 'test ride' you could end up with a smashed bike, an insurer who won't pay and some toe-rag who will have to sue fo the money if he has any.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Dealerships don't always rip you off - you need to look at each dealer on it's own merits and understand their reasoning.
    They need to make money off something and will generally offer lower than what you could sell it for privately but they need to make a margin on it when they sell it.
    I have had 3 different prices quoted on my bike and am seeing another dealer next week before deciding what to do.

Good luck.

9. If you know what your doing - private sale always. It's easy don't give test rides, especially on a learner bike to a new rider. You weed the idiots out on the phone, I've pretty much always sold bikes/cars to the first person to come look at it. You be honest about it's condition and what you'll accept for it on the phone.

I've never had a good experience with a dealer and I got a mate who used to be a salesman and I hear all his ripoff stories.

I remember getting offered $500 trade in on my bike and that was "doing me a favor", i sold it for 4 grand 2 days later after being on eBay for about 15 hours.

I was trying to buy a new R1 (cash!) They wouldn't give me a test ride on the demo bike when they were trying to sell me an R1. They said I didnt need to test ride it because "it's an R1". I didn't buy it on that alone and have since ridden many R1s and don't rate them much at all (not enough to buy one brand new).

I made the mistake of buying a second hand bike from a dealer and it had problems straight off the bat. I've read the dealer horror stories, I just fixed it myself and took it as a lesson.

Greasy dealers.
  10. I test rode my current bike as a learner, after an experienced friend of mine rode it first to check it out. The agreement was, if I dropped it, I owned it, which I accepted and would have carried thru on b/c I knew the bike was good. I didn't purchase on the spot as I was a bit unhappy with the price, but the vendor definitely knew I was interested. I followed up the next day, and the deal was done.

I would not have purchased without a test ride, at least by my experienced friend (who was also going to do the roadworthy). In my case, that would have cost the vendor a sale. I imagine I'm not alone, so refusing test rides may not help sell the bike.
  11. Thanks for your input guys. Read up this morning, went to three different dealerships today, was not impressed :p

Got told the absolute best I could really expect was around $4500, which I guess for a dealership isn't too bad - if BikeSales is any indication, I should be able to get a fair amount more on a private sale.

That said, if I trade it in they're generally willing to make about a grand disappear somewhere in the middle. So considering keeping it another six months until I can afford an R1. Or, I could get a bank loan and have a very merry Christmas... Decisions, decisions...
  12. bike is still under original warranty, id sell this privately as it would get picked up quick id imagine
  13. I've given a couple of test rides and I've test riden every private bike I've bought (8 bikes) but in all cases its the buyer/me has the cash or a bank cheque and is prepared to buy the bike that day pending test ride. The test ride is to confirm the condition matches what the owner says not to see if they "like" it. The deal is you bin it you buy it. It's hard to hold someone to that if they don't have the means to pay for it on the spot.

If they are leaving a deposit, you write a receipt saying "xxx has agreed to purchase the bike pending test ride". When they turn up with the rest you give them the ride. Providing you were honest about the bike they'll buy it. That weeds out the tyre kickers and protects the seller.
  14. I'll keep in mind for next time. :)
  15. A good idea of getting market prices is watching this bikes you find on bikesales and tracking them.
    I have seen bikes sit on there for weeks/months and the price slowly drop to match reality.
    Just a tip
  16. They are what, $6000 + orc? orc is lost walking out the door, being the previous years model with those kms I'd guess you could sell it for ~$5000 now on the used market.

Whatever the trade in a dealership offers you, you could get more selling it privately.

By the way, well priced bikes on bikesales don't last long and the overpriced ones hang around for ages, skewing the reality of what you think the bikes actually go for.