Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Opinion on ZZR250

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Lhekkaz, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Hi guys, just wondering your opinion on the Kawasaki ZZR - 250

2. Good solid dependable bike... Just not particularly interesting. Easy to find spare bikes for cheap if you send it down the road
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Great cheap learner bike mate.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  4. Solid little bike. More rider room than it's predecessor the GPX250, cheap to run and cheap to fix minor to moderate drop damage. Look after it and it should outlast your need for a 250 with ease.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. I bought one last year as a commuter. I got it cheap with 60000kms so was bouncing it off the limiter because i didnt care. Tge thing didnt blow up with a lot of abuse.

It wouldnt go past 150 I had another one back in the 90s and i thought that one was faster but maybe i have alzeimers
  6. I've got one as a commuter. One great aspect is the huge fuel tank; something like 18litres. Bought mine on eBay, but had to change the engine over. Not the most gutsy 250 you're going to find, but goes ok.
  7. Reliable and good to learn on but kinda boring.
  8. if you already have one, why are you looking for opinions on it? :p
  9. i was just curious of whether it was a good bike or not. got it pretty much given to me but haven't really had a chance to ride it due to it needing parts from japan for the carby.

Is the exhaust or any other mods worth doing on these bikes ??
  10. Not really, Just maintain it properly and enjoy it for what it is... A cheap reliable commuter
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. A capable, boring machine.

A bit of a pain to work on. If I remember correctly, the airbox has to be pulled out through the bike's ass.
  12. Solid, reliable if cared for. I'd never buy one but I'd happily take a hand-me-down as a commuter / pack mule.

I laughed way too hard at that mental image.
  13. Is true.
    While you can just wiggle carbs out without removing airbox, removing airbox you basically have to disassemble whole rear of bike.. major PITA :)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. thanks for all the input guys, ill let yous know how I go once its fixed, I am keen to start riding to school and stuff
  15. Good luck, it'll serve you well.
  16. Used it as a commuter for 2 years to get to uni and use it as my backup bike at the moment.

-Fantastic on fuel, 300km+ per tank (compared to its 4 cylinders brothers)
    -Decent fairing and wind protection (would advice fitting oxford heated handle bars is commuting)
    -Varly forgivable given you have decent tyres and not enough power to be unpredictable or eat through tyres/sprokets.
    -Easy to service and plenty of resources on how to fix them.
    -When you drop it, new aftermarket fairings are only $400
    -Good lane-splitter
    - You will get good at flicking through gears for the most minor of gradient changes
    - You will throw out all mechanical sympathy, above 6k to be in power and upto 10 if you want to move at a decent pace.
    -Once your confident, or come off a larger bike you will be grinding its pegs off every corner.

Watch out for wear on your clutch handle, squeeze the handle in and inspect the opening at the back to make sure its not fraying. If its not perfectly seated it can wear down and snap. (not fun)
  17. Modding the bike is a waste of time, have a mate give you ride on a 1000cc and saveup!
    You can rejet the carbs, aftermarket KN filter, braided brake-lines and install a lightweight exhaust however your only increasing the power by a few percent.
    The biggest safety/ performance upgrade will be a set of sticky tyres, especially if they are still stock and have gone solid after a few years...the Dunlop Arrowmax's are sweet and wear well. If your chain/sprockets are knackered then putting on a slightly larger rear sprocket (+2) is a good idea, bit more power below 80km/h.
  18. There are (or at least were) several after-market exhausts available, but unless the existing pipes are rotted out it's not worth the cost. Given the age and size of the engine don't run it on E10, as it'll rot out the fuel line and the rubbers in the carbies and you don't have enough power to give away what the E10 will cost you. It doesn't need premium though, straight 91 is plenty good enough or 95 if that's the only option. The exhaust on my GPX (the ZZR's forerunner, almost identical engine) developed a bit of a bark running 98, but that's it. There's no more power to be had. I also experimented with opening up the airbox. It got louder. That's all.
    If I still had one I'd probably be running it on 10W40 rather than the 20W50 I used to, but that's about it.
    As already mentioned, if you want to get spirited with it you'll need to keep the engine well up in the rev range and work the gears. They're quite happy being ridden like this, just keep up the maintenance.
  19. Bought a ZZR250 as my first bike and thought it was excellent! That was until i bought a CBR900 and wow it made it look slow.

In saying that though im glad i started out on the ZZR250 as it was a great bike to learn on
  20. This really is the quickest way to rid yourself of the delusion that it's worthwhile to power-mod your learner bike.
    • Funny Funny x 1