Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC Operation halo results are in.

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by chicken78, Oct 23, 2012.

1. http://www.vicpolicenews.com.au/more-news/10691-operation-halo-ii-detects-more-than-3000-offences.html

Operation Halo II detects more than 3000 offences

Tuesday, 23 October 2012 15:02
    Police have detected 3265 motorbike, bicycle, pedestrian and car/truck offences as part of Operation Halo II.

The operation, which ran from 9 to 19 October, aimed to reduce road trauma involving vulnerable road users and ran during peak commuter times at high-collision locations across the Melbourne, Port Phillip, Yarra, Boroondara and Stonnington Police Service Areas.

On the second day of the operation, in just a two hour period, police issued 40 penalty notices to a spate of drivers for disobeying a no left turn sign in Hotham Street, East Melbourne.

Police detected an average of 408 offences per day during the operation. This followed Operation Halo that ran for 14 days in February where police detected an average of 455 offences per day.

Assistant Commissioner for Road Policing Robert Hill said it was good to see people taking better care on the road and being more aware of vulnerable road users.

“While it was disappointing that police detected more than 3000 offences during the operation, it is encouraging that the average number of offences detected per day was less than the average detected during our first Halo operation in February,” Mr Hill said.

During the operation, police targeted specific behaviours which contribute to road trauma involving vulnerable road users such as mobile phone use, failure to signal and disobeying traffic lights or signs.

“Last year, one third of all those killed on Victorian roads were vulnerable road users so it is vital that we work to bring this number down,” Mr Hill said.

October’s Operation Halo II coincided with Safe Cycle Month which aims to raise awareness of bicycle safety among all road users and reduce road trauma.

The average number of bicycle offences detected per day during Operation Halo II was around half the number detected per day in February.

“While there may have been more cyclists on the road during the sunny February weather compared to October, this result is still heartening,” Mr Hill said.

“Any initiative that raises public awareness of vulnerable road users and road safety issues is a positive thing for the community and Safe Cycle Month has certainly helped with that.”

Operation Halo aimed to protect vulnerable road users and raise awareness of the road safety issues affecting them.

Chelsea Malseed
    Victoria Police Media Unit

Operation Halo II Results

Pedestrian Offences - 276
    Disobey traffic control signal - 228
    Walk improperly on road - 30
    Cross within 20m of pedestrian crossing - 11

Bicycle Offences - 178
    Fail to wear helmet - 113
    Ride on footpath - 24
    Disobey traffic lights or signs - 25

Motorcycle Offences - 291
    Ride in bicycle lane - 150
    Disobey traffic lights or signs – 8
    Fail to give signal - 2

Car/Truck Offences - 2520
    Disobey traffic lights or signs - 384
    Use mobile phone - 814
    Drive in bicycle lane - 9
    Diverge when unsafe - 12
    Fail to give way - 16
    Alight from vehicle when unsafe - 1
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Well that looks fair enough.

I got pulled in as part of it. They just asked for my licence. I said, "No problem. Is this a part of Halo 2?". They look surprised... then amused and just said, "Yes... Have a good day". I wasn't issued with any notices. They just took my details for 'statistics' and I continued on my merry way. ;)
  3. The using mobile figure for cars is disturbing..
    • Like Like x 1
  4. That breaks down to overall percentages of:

77.2% Car
    8.9% MC
    5.5% cycle
    8.5% ped

In terms of disobeying trafficlight signals, in percentage terms, almost as many bicycles as cars disobeyed traffic signals. On the other hand, the PTW percentage was almost one 6th of either of there's.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. More than half the motorcycle offences were for a specific activity that has never resulted in a serious injury.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. I wonder what the ~130 uncategorised motorcycle offences (almost half) and ~1300 uncategorised car/truck offences (over half!) were.

I'm unsure how I feel about the riding in a bicycle lane. It doesn't surprise me that it's common - I do it on occasion if there are no bicycles using it - but I'm also an irregular cyclist and I would get pretty annoyed if I found a motorbike zipping beside me in the bicycle lane...
  7. as dangerous than drunks, but a pidly fine.
    they should have their phones crushed.
    • Like Like x 4
  8. 400+ a day in those targeted area's alone is a shitload of offences and money to government coffers

• Like Like x 2
  9. I agree. Commuting everyday, I see a lot of mobile users. Stop at a red light, and almost every 2nd car driver picks up the phone from his/her lap and starts typing away. I guess these are more 'careful' ones who only use their phones when stopped at lights.

Couldn't have worded it better. :p
  10. "Walk improperly on road" What the hell??? This?;
    • Like Like x 1
  11. The idea of a police officer stopping me for walking in a way they dont like is almost comical.

Knowing Vicpol, it will only be a matter of time before its a hoon offence, and they saw off and impound your legs.
    • Like Like x 3
  12. In a way I would prefer if they made it legal to check your phone at a red light, provided that it does not cause a delay in you taking off when the light changes. At least that way most drivers, who would otherwise check their phone on the move, keeping it (and their eyes) below the windows in the car, would instead wait a couple minutes till the next red light to check/send a quick "be there in 5" text.

This is more coming from the idea that people will always text while driving, but at least this way you can influence where and when they pick up the nokia.
  13. Exactly this, a million times this. I'd go so far and say it's the rule rather than the exception (at least on my Sydney commute).

Can always pick them as they're the ****s who miss the traffic's moving and leave 50m gaps in the traffic since their head's up their ass reading about their best mate Lucy's fab 20th at the Ivy last night.. or when they do start moving, don't even look up until they're doing 20kmph then it's a brief check then on that road thing and back to the phone...
  14. Penalty: NSW $61, Vic $70

The following offences apply to pedestrians:

• Crossing against an amber or red traffic light
    • Crossing against a ‘don't walk’ sign
    • Crossing the road within 20 metres of a pedestrian crossing
    • Failing to cross to the nearest edge of the road after getting off a tram
    • Failing to obey a traffic instruction from a police officer
    • Failing to use the shortest or most direct route across a road
    • Alighting from a moving vehicle
    • Walking along or fail to give way when crossing a bicycle path
    • Crossing a level crossing when not permitted
    • Disobeying a 'no pedestrian' sign.
    • Walking improperly on a road

'Walking improperly on a road' simply means when crossing the road you must use the safest and shortest route.

15. It is really disturbing when you break it down into what are actually the dangerous activities.

For motorbikes I would not really consider riding in a bicycle lane dangerous, I do not know of any injuries/deaths resulting from this practice. I stand to be corrected...

If you take that out of the equation what I would call 'dangerous' acts look like this (I've taken drive in bicycle lane out for cars/trucks too for balance, although clearly I would consider that much more dangerous that a motorbike using the lane):

Motorcycle Offences - 291
    Disobey traffic lights or signs - 8
    Fail to give signal - 2

Total 3.4% of offences 'dangerous'

Car/Truck Offences - 2520
    Disobey traffic lights or signs - 384
    Use mobile phone - 814
    Diverge when unsafe - 12
    Fail to give way - 16
    Alight from vehicle when unsafe - 1

Total 48.6% of offences 'dangerous'
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Why categorize dangerous v non-dangerous. An offense is still an offense regardless.

17. Because some of these offenses are created and enforced for reasons other than road safety.
    • Like Like x 2
  18. The numbers don't add up. Not really important it just bugs me.

The number of d1cks on phones is truly horrifying. I saw a guy in a $200k R8 the other day on the phone. Surely he could afford a hands free kit?

I am also concerned by the number of "riding in a bicycle lane" penalties given out. Vicroads themselves say

"Bicycle lanes

Bicycle lanes are indicated by a bicycle lane sign and a continuous or broken white line.
    A driver must not drive in a bicycle lane during the times it is operational, except for up to 50 metres before turning or when parking."

I wonder how many of the 150 were covered by this rule?
  19. The same as going a couple of km over the limit?

Remember - every K over is a killer. Right?
  20. Which ones?