Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC Operation Halo - And who's the best behaved?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by joetdm, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Interesting numbers here and yeah using raw figures are flawed but hey, look who's the best behaved and no suprise on who's the worst!

Seperate the motorcycles and scooters and it seems we're the least of the problem out there..
    Not to mention that most of the moto infringements are riding in the bike lane related..

2. 8 motorcycles got a ticket for failure to indicate, and no cars did? I'll sautée my balls in the blood of a child and eat 'em with horseradish if that's indicative of traffic in general.
  3. I'll only ask it once more, and then I'll leave it alone: show me where riding in the bicycle lane has EVER contributed to a serious injury or death.

Of the latter, high probability of SMIDSY for most, if not all. Better hope this makes a difference.
  4. Well titus that's where the fail comes in.

TWV fatalities are up so their answer is to go out and fine as many as they can because the numbers are unacceptable.
    BUT, if the majority of moto fatalities due to smidsy seems to me they're cracking down on the wrong road users.

Having said that, cagers are the worst out there yet they're the first to jump up and down about seeing a cyclists do this or a motorcyclist do that, blah blah blah!
  5. Gripes aside, I'm quietly pleased at the numbers and the numpty cagers that have been hauled over the coals.

I'm also noticing that the figures given don't add up to anything like the totals, so there must be plenty of other offenses that they haven't bothered to list. Might be able to guess what most of them were, but the mere fact that they haven't mentioned sp.... er, other offenses, is kinda interesting.
  6. How often do they leave out speeding?
    Now that's unusual...
  7. One third of offences by M/C are 131 ride in bicycle lane.

When, there has never been an accident involving a motorcycle and a bicycle in a bicycle lane.

I know what the law says, but I really question this sort of enforcement. All single tracked vehicles should be allowed to used these lanes. The sooner that these lanes are renamed "single tracked vehicle lanes" the better I will feel. The stupid cops who think that enforcing that law is going to make any difference makes my fume with anger.

If there was evidence to support this stupid law then, I wouldn't have a leg to stand on. But, there is no evidence to support its existence.

All in all we come out looking pretty good in the stats. But, I really do feel sorry for those guys who got booked riding in bicycle lanes - that is simply revenue raising!!!!
  8. Fail to indicate would be when splitting in a bike lane i wold think. Riders dont use their signals properly when splitting.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Could be filtering/splitting in any lane. Isn't that one of the offences that mc riders get pinged for when filtering b/c there's no specific anti filtering law?
  10. Yeah maybe.
  11. Could be, but since they were targetting offences against vru i wold have though offences in bike lanes were more likely.
  12. what is it 83$ 0 points, sounds like a great way to pay for the strippers at the police ball.
  13. so... how should one indicate/use the signals when lane splitting or filtering? :rolleyes:
  14. Vertical, seeing as the Australian Road Rules don't specifically address filtering, for the noobs playing at home, would it be safe to say that when filtering one should indicate as though one was doing a lane change?

For example when riding to the left of a car in the car's lane, one should indicate as though one has moved from the left lane to the right lane (ie right indicator), and if one is riding to the right of a car in the car's lane, you should indicate left as tho you've moved from the right lane into the left lane? Edited to add - this doesn't apply if filtering btw car and side of road, either left or right side.

BTW, anyone who's good at drawing piccies and posting them up, please feel free to jump in any time. Can't do it from work.
  15. I wouldn't be too excited by only 309 tickets to MCs. It's about 8% of the tickets and I believe MCs make up far less than 8% of road users. If anything we are over represented.
  16. When filtering the legal way to do it is to be to the right of the car (wholly within lane) in the left lane and indicate as you overtake and come back in the line (or change to right lane if there is a gap).

I see a lot of bikes not indicating any of these this leaves them exposed to this ticket.

If you are indicating then the cop needs to write you up for overtaking on left (which if you are in left lane he cant do), or write you up for unsafe overtake to right (whch is a hell a lot more grey).

If you use your indicators it gives the cops one less thing to get you on and it also means that they need to write you up for something that is a lot more grey and disputable. You will also be able to create doubt about whether that was an unsafe overtake during the stop, which will make the cop believe that you have grounds and will dispute it (i have got given warnings like this). If you dont indicate you cant create doubt on that, you either did or didnt.

Most riders fail to indicate the three changes above but, in this blitz i bet that a lot didnt indicate when splitting into the bike lane, giving the cops two tickets.
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Not quite the case John, we only know of injury crashes. There's only a dozen or so bicycle/motorcycle injury crashes in recent years. Responsibility seems to run about 50/50. I haven't been able to find any indications of motorcycle/cyclist crash injuries in bicycle lanes however.

Having said that, not all bicycle lanes are appropriate for sharing. There are some very narrow ones that are impractical to share.

And on the subject of bicycle/motorcycle crashes...

18. Unless the traffic is stopped then rule 141c gives a possible option and can be used as a defense.

141 No overtaking etc to the left of a vehicle
    (1) A driver (except the rider of a bicycle) must not overtake a vehicle to the left of the vehicle unless:
    (a) the driver is driving on a multi-lane road and the vehicle can be safely overtaken in a marked lane to the left of the vehicle; or
    (b) the vehicle is turning right, or making a U–turn from the centre of the road, and is giving a right change of direction signal and it is safe to overtake to the left of the vehicle; or
    (c) the vehicle is stationary and it is safe to overtake to the left of the vehicle.

By the way, even if you filter as Vertical rightly describes, a copper can still ping you for a dangerous overtake if overtaking gap or speed was judged inappropriate (in their view).
  19. Hard to say SD. PTW's are more prevalent in the CBD area so that might skew things.